Beginner dives in Ireland?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

axluba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are planning on visiting Ireland for a week toward the end of April. We are both new divers, her with more experience than I (she is passing her 2ndlevel FFESM (with around 25 dives) and I am just certified OW Padi).

The main reason for our trip isn’t scuba diving, however I know that she would LOVE to go for one dive at least. The thing is that I am not sur that I am ready for ocean diving. I have only 4 open water dives under my belt (sure I’ll probably double that number by then but… 8… come on :p ). And until now they were all in a lake, fairly shallow (10m). I am a cautious man and while I am no stranger to cold and murky waters (3-4 degree Celsius with 2-3m of viz), I don’t feel too ready for the ocean… (I heard it was somewhat bigger and deeper than a lake… :p ). More seriously managing my dive in water that will probably still be cold (I guess around 10-12C), in an unknown environment is a bit challenging.

Would you have some easy dive site, with still interesting landscape/sea life to recommend 1 hour drive around Dublin or Galway? I am cautious, but not scared and if we can find a good dive shop, with good easy dive I would happily get wet, and make my girlfriend happy at the same time. I’m looking for fun, weak to no current, 18m dives…

Maybe I’m dreaming but I’m asking just in case.

Thanks.

Dive Academy on Inish Mor, the largest of the Aran Islands off Galway, offer guided dives. You'll be looked after by an Instructor or DM who knows the waters. Diving in the ocean is nothing to be overly concerned about. Its normally a lot clearer, and probably warmer the the lakes you are used to. Depth range for a first dive in the sea from shore will probably be around 12m max which is perfect for you as light penetration will still be good and temperature difference won't be much from the surface

deleted

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom