Movie WB setting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Bomberg

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't have my camera handy so hopefully somebody knows.

If I am shooting stills, will hitting the record button use the WB set for that mode (say UW for C1 and custom for C2) or will it revert to whatever is set in the movie mode?

Ok, now home and tested, the WB used when taking video clips is the WB setting on the mode it's activated from.

For my Canon G7X, the custom WB from the one button setting is carried over from still mode to video, both, a real advantage. I don't think the one button WB was carried over to the G7X Mark II or III

For my Canon G7X, the custom WB from the one button setting is carried over from still mode to video, both, a real advantage. I don't think the one button WB was carried over to the G7X Mark II or III

That would be a nice feature, as it would allow for faster switching between modes. In my case I use auto WB for microscope as I am 90% using artificial light and will be going to custom WB (right now using underwater WB) on wide as I am 60% of the time using ambient.

Of course I have a couple people saying shoot RAW and stop worrying but ...

Hello scubadada, do you do a manual WB before snapping a video and if so how often do you adjust or do you run with a camera profile?

I generally run a new WB with a significant change in depth, +/- 10 feet or so, or if there is a noticeable change in lighting. This is done with a single press of the Ring Func button, which is programed for WB. I generally switch to video directly using the instant video on/off rather than switching to video mode. The current custom WB is carried over to video. I do a new WB before switching to video for the same reasons as above.

I am quite far from an avid underwater photographer but I get more than acceptable stills and videos using my simple methods. The single button WB shortcut is the key for me and one of the main reasons I chose the G7X at the time I was looking for good compact camera in 2015. I use it in a Nauticam housing with vacuum check, very happy with it. Vacuum check saved me once from flood when a fiber from the camera table got caught in the O-ring.
upload_2020-3-14_17-34-11.png

If you are referring to an Olympus camera then yes it will use the WB you are currently set to. I always manually set my white balance using a slate or tank.

Thanks, I guess the next chapter of learning is coming up :)

But the truth is it's both fun and frustrating, and the frustration really stems from I have to wait until the next trip to apply the theory as I have not figured out how to mimic the behavior on land.

I will of course play with the settings and learn how to become efficient at doing the color balance (as it's not really white balance), but I have to get down to 40 - 100 to really figure out the UW mode versus A mode issue I am having, I love the C1 and C2 setting but the colors even when cloning the UW settings were not the same as so I must be doing something wrong (or not noticing something).

What size slate or sheet do you guys use?

If it's small I suspect I have to zoom in so it fills the full frame but I need it far enough away from the dome so the ambient light is accurate (50-100cm away), since I am using it for wide angle, for microscope and macro I will use auto as I plan to run either my inon strobes or my video lights on those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom