Cozumel in September or October ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divegoose

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
With most of us cancelling our planned trip this month, we are looking to re-book, possibly in September or October. What are conditions like during these months ?

Divegoose

With most of us cancelling our planned trip this month, we are looking to re-book, possibly in September or October. What are conditions like during these months ?

Divegoose
Generally speaking, conditions in Cozumel are very good to great any time of the year you want to go there. I've never been there in October but I hear that it's a great time to go.

We go in September every year for husbands birthday. Not very crowded. Just keep in mind that it is peak hurricane season. We have got to "extend" our stay due to hurricane before.

September can be toasty and sometimes stormy (generally short lived unless you get a big one), but divewise it's nice on the boat. October (especially late October/1st week Nov) is excellent. Shoulder season; water still warm; storm season mostly over; and a bit more comfy on land. If you wait too long into Nov early nortes/port closures can come into play, but nothing is a given. All IMHO.

Thoroughly enjoyed our trip last October to Cozumel. Diving conditions were great, boats were emptier, had some short lived storms blow through (most of the time I was underwater so it didn't matter) We would definitely schedule in October if schedules allowed

our local shop has been running trips to coz at the end of oct or beginning of nov for many years.

Overall Oct is our favorite time of year to visit Coz and have a trip planned 10/24 - 11/7. Ya it is hurricane season but they rarely hit Coz. It is the slow season so things are much quieter, the water is warm, the weather is generally very nice and not too hot. The chance of nortes increase as you get into Nov but we've had great weather the last 5-6 years. Sept is a bit hot for us but if you don't mind the heat (humidity) it is also a great time to visit. The down side of this time of year is that there are not many Eagle Rays around.

Our personal guideline for Coz travel is if we only have 1-2 weeks or going with folks who have limited vacation time we'll go in April/May or Oct/Nov to take advantage of prime weather conditions. If we are going 3-4 weeks we'll go pretty much any time except mid summer due to the heat & humidity.

October and if you have to use PTO days, book the week of Columbus Day as that's a national holiday and maybe you have it off.

End of October for Day of the Dad. You'll thank me. Hell, you can buy me a beer or 14 then. Haven't missed it in 6 years. My favorite holiday!

See you there.

Jay

Around Sept/Oct was always my favorite time of year for diving the isla. Sept begins the low-season, so the pier, the boats, and the reefs were considerably less crowded. Also, when everything slowed down, the dive shops (at least when I lived there) were more prone to negotiate for your business.
The seas are usually as glassy smooth as they'll ever get, the water (and the air) is as warm is it's gonna get, and the winter nortes haven't started yet. Condition-wise, it's right in the sweet-spot, IMO there's virtually no downside as far as diving goes.
And any thunderstorms, as mentioned above, tend to be brief and isolated, and generally don't bring sufficient wind to create swells and make boat diving less pleasant, they usually just bring heavy rain and lightning, but often disappear soon and the sun comes back out.
If I was gonna pay to go diving down there, that's exactly when I'd want to go. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom