Inner Ear Barotrauma - seeking opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you might be getting a tiny bit back?

I had my first hint of hearing returning after my first hyperbaric session, which was T+8. My hearing rapidly improved after every session that first week, and by T+12, I had recovered normal hearing for f <= 1 kHz. I've had some small improvements since then, but healing has definitely slowed down/plateaued.

I can carry on a conversation on the phone with my right ear, but its not easy. Voices sound distorted, especially in noisy environments. I can't quite put my finger on it - but I simply have trouble understanding the words people are saying. If I put an ear plug in my right ear, I actually have an easier time understanding people. Music sounds better with the ear plug in too. However, I am trying to "keep the neural pathway" active between my ear and brain, so I'm purposely not wearing the ear plug unless I'm in an environment where it's just unbearable.

I read an article about a study in Japan that played classical music in the affected ear for patients, which lead to a statistically relevant (albeit small) improvement in outcomes. Figuring it couldn't hurt, I paid $30 to have a 1-hour session of classical music created on Fiverr, alternating between the left and right channel. I listen to this on a pair of headphones while reading - hoping its keeping my ear appropriately stimulated.

I suffered an incident of inner ear barotrauma on Feb 16 during my 4th open water certification dive. I lost 100% of the hearing in my right ear, which was diagnosed by an ENT on Feb 20. I am specifically asking here about whether I should push my care team to consider a perilymph fistula, and treatment via a blood patch.

I've thrown the book at this injury with multiple treatments in parallel - I am an audiophile, with a sophisticated home theater that I have invested a significant amount of money in over the years for the enjoyment of both music and movies. I was the guy who wore ear plugs to concerts, and made my wife wear ear plugs too. I can't imagine having 40-50 years of life left with compromised hearing. Music sounds "tinny" and "scratchy" - and I really struggle to hear people's voices. If I can't get a miracle recovery at this point, I really hope I can get a little more sensitivity back to make hearing aids as successful as possible. In short, I am freaking out just a little bit...

For background - here is the dive incident:

I have a complete chronology of the entire weekend of 4 dives, but in trying to keep this as concise as possible, I'll only detail the 4th dive (which is where/when I believe the injury occurred.)

On the 4th dive, I demonstrated the use of a compass at approximately 30’. We then proceeded to ascend to 20’ where I executed a Controlled Emergency Swimming Ascent (CESA) from 20’ in approximately 20-30 seconds. Upon surfacing, my instructor congratulated me on completing the certification process. There were some ocean swells making bobbing on the surface unpleasant. We agreed to descend to 30’ and continue the dive. He cautioned me to take some time, as the 20’ to 0’ to 30’ cycle can sometimes mess with the “pressures in our heads.” We were on the surface for no more than 30 seconds.

With the adrenaline of the CESA, my equalization on the descent was certainly (evidently) sloppy. I recall feeling some pressure, but certainly never felt like I was consciously choosing to blow my ears out. I actually recall feeling euphoric and not having any concerns related to the pressure differential I was experiencing. The only equalization technique I knew was the Valsalva maneuver.

I heard 3 distinct tones that folded in on top of one another (similar to Close Encounters) in my right ear during the descent. I recall thinking “That doesn’t sound good” – but also assured myself it was likely nothing, just some bizarre underwater tinnitus or something.

I swam with my instructor for 5-10 minutes, but started to feel “off” – I realized I was simply focusing on following my instructor’s flippers and not enjoying the dive. I was starting to feel tired and out of breath, the gauge on my SPG had flipped upside down, things were starting to feel out of sorts. With the certification complete, and this being completely a “bonus portion” - I swam to catch up with my instructor, tapped him on the shoulder, and indicated to my instructor to end the dive prematurely.

We ascended to 20’ for a 3-min safety stop to decompress, and to stay at a safe depth while making contact with the boat. My instructor signaled the boat by vacating air from his secondary regulator to create bubbles on the surface.

Immediately after getting back onto the boat, I vomited violently and profusely several times. I had a significant nosebleed and blew a combination of blood and clear snot/liquid into my hand.

My instructor commented that our total time on the dive was approximately 30 minutes. I believe this included all portions (compass navigation, CESA, and the curtailed recreational portion of the dive.)

That evening, I was more tired than I have ever been. I did not feel like eating dinner. I felt some mild vertigo while laying in my bed, but it came and went in a matter of seconds.

The next day, I rode a bicycle. I had little concern for the "stuffiness" feeling in my ear. I perceived my hearing as being muffled - not gone.

Designating Sunday as "T+0" day - on Tuesday, "T+2" - I began to be concerned that I had something more serious going on that wouldn't be cleared up as a case of "swimmer's ear" With our air travel home designated for "T+3" [Wed], I paid a general care physician in Placencia, Belize to look at my ear drum. He saw some bruising and a small drop of blood, but no obvious perforation. He prescribed an antibiotic ear drop, but advised me that I should be ok to fly home.

Wednesday, T+3, I flew home with no incident.

Thursday, T+4, I met with my general care practitioner, who referred me to an ENT.

At the ENT, on initial presentation, my ENT speculated that I had some blood in the middle ear and would simply need to be monitored. However, after the audiogram, my entire world turned upside down at 4:45pm on Thursday, Feb 20. My right ear had almost 0 detection of any frequency, across-the-board, both air and bone conduction.

My ENT prescribed oral steroids [PrednisONE] on a tapered dose, and commented on intratympanic steroids and hyperbaric oxygen as additional available therapies.

Friday, Feb 21 [T+5] - I had a tube installed in my right ear, had the blood vacuumed out of my middle ear, and had my first dose of intratympanic steroids administered. I consulted another ENT for a 2nd opinion.

I began hyperbaric oxygen therapy on Monday, Feb 24 [T+8]. I was prescribed 20 sessions at 2.5 atmospheres (253 kpa) for 110 minutes - including 2 "air breaks" to prevent oxygen toxicity. I had a tube installed in my good ear also - on the 2nd hyperbaric session, I bled from my left [good] ear. (I also felt no pain or perceived any issues with equalizing when this happened in the chamber.) In the first week of hyperbaric O2, I had some amazing experiences - literally feeling my hearing returning while in the tube. Not being able to hear a dialtone on my kitchen phone at 7:15am, and then hearing it when I got home at 10:30am, etc.

I have received 7 intratympanic steroid injections on T+5, T+8, T+12, T+15, T+18, T+22, T+25. I plan on receiving 2 more next week [my last week of hyperbaric oxygen therapy.]

By Feb 28 (T+8), For freq. <= 1 kHz, I recovered normal hearing [20-30 dB down, equal to my left ear.] 2 kHz has 60 dB suppression. I was still deaf for f=4 KHz and f=8 kHz.

I test my hearing daily with a phone-based app [Mimi - free on the app store.] The test showed I was able to hear 4 KHz on Sunday, March 8 (T+21) 2 kHz remains stubbornly at 60 dB down. 8 kHz is 90+ dB down.

In addition to digital tests, I also purchased a cheap set of tuning forks. I periodically gauge my ability to hear the 2 kHz and 4 kHz tuning forks. I am able to hold the forks farther from my right ear as time progresses - although these gains are not showing up in my app.

I will have another professional audiogram taken on March 16 (T+29). I am having an MRI taken today, March 13 (T+26) My ENT advised against the MRI, saying it would not reveal anything - but wasn't opposed to having it done - essentially for "peace of mind."

The two ENTs I consulted with discounted the possibility of a perilymph fistula - since I showed no signs of balance issues, vertigo, passed the various tests. I have to wonder, though, if I have a slow leak of fluid, which is compromising/stalling my progress in the higher frequencies.

I understand that the only way to definitively diagnose a perilymph fistula is via direct visual inspection, which involves surgically lifting the ear drum out of the way to inspect the perilymph fistula. I wonder, however, if there would be much downside to administering a "blood patch" in the middle ear, without lifting the ear drum. [Could the blood be injected via the tube I already have installed?]

If you made it this far, thank you for reading my post! Even if this post doesn't help me, I hope this information is helpful to someone. I wish my training had truly PRACTICED equalization for the same amount of time we spent practicing mask clearing, breathing off a free-flowing regulator, etc. Equalization was not a "muscle memory skill" for me - it's one thing to answer a test question correctly. It's another to do the correct thing in a matter of seconds while descending from 15' to 20', still hyped up on adrenaline from having completed a CESA. I also speculate if I didn't have some mild form of nitrogen narcosis from the ascent/descent cycle? I recall my thinking on the descent not being clear - perhaps that was just the adrenaline. In any event, my other "lesson learned" to any instructors/students is to give students the opportunity to perform the CESA at the END of dives 2 and 3. Doing the CESA at the front-end of dive 4 was the root cause for the sloppy circumstances that lead to my poor equalization, which lead to this really unfortunate injury.

Ken,

I'm glad that your hearing is improving, though I'm a little puzzled at the recommendation for hyperbaric oxygen therapy. It's indicated for sudden sensorineural hearing loss, but not hearing loss related to inner ear barotrauma; in fact, it's relatively contraindicated. If you had a tube in the TM in the affected ear and the practitioner checked it carefully for obstruction before every treatment, then that would have decreased the probability of harm, but I'm not sure how to attribute the improvement in your hearing to the HBO2. Hyperbaric oxygen does have some anti-inflammatory effects, so maybe that was of some benefit, but I don't know how to explain dramatic improvement like that. What did the hyperbaric team tell you?

Best regards,
DDM

Ken,

I'm glad that your hearing is improving, though I'm a little puzzled at the recommendation for hyperbaric oxygen therapy. It's indicated for sudden sensorineural hearing loss, but not hearing loss related to inner ear barotrauma; in fact, it's relatively contraindicated. If you had a tube in the TM in the affected ear and the practitioner checked it carefully for obstruction before every treatment, then that would have decreased the probability of harm, but I'm not sure how to attribute the improvement in your hearing to the HBO2. Hyperbaric oxygen does have some anti-inflammatory effects, so maybe that was of some benefit, but I don't know how to explain dramatic improvement like that. What did the hyperbaric team tell you?

Best regards,
DDM

I may be confusing terms - but I was definitely diagnosed with sudden sensorineural hearing loss; and the SSHL is assumed to be instigated by barotrauma suffered during the dive. The severity of the hearing loss, and the fact that bone conduction was lost across all frequencies, is why my ENT deduced my case involved inner ear damage. But, I believe the only true indication of "barotrauma" was me saying I was descending from 0' to 30' with sloppy equalization when I lost my hearing. I don't believe enough evidence / symptoms presented themselves to definitively determine whether I had Inner Ear Barotrauma or Inner Ear Decompression Sickness.

Both of my tubes are checked for obstructions before and after the hyperbaric treatments.

My ENT and the hyperbaric team both thought hyperbaric O2 wouldn't hurt, and might help. The hyperbaric MD explained to me that the cochlea is an under-oxygenated part of the body, with poor circulation - and that hyperbaric O2 can both raise the oxygen level directly in the cells, as well as increasing the oxygen level in my plasma. Essentially helping the cells in the cochlea stay alive while the body grows new capillaries.

However, both my ENT and the hyperbaric team were clear with me that the data on hyperbaric O2 for cases like mine was extremely limited.

I know the first week, HBO definitely helped - whether that same healing would have eventually came with the steroid treatments I had administered in parallel is impossible to know, of course.

I see my ENT on Monday, and will get a copy of my initial audiogram to post here. Any other observations from my initial presentation / diagnosis that I should share? I'm as much interested in posting a clear case history here for someone suffering a similar issue in the future, as I am in getting specific assistance with my hearing loss. That's really my motivation for keeping careful records of my treatments, recovery, etc.

I may be confusing terms - but I was definitely diagnosed with sudden sensorineural hearing loss; and the SSHL is assumed to be instigated by barotrauma suffered during the dive. The severity of the hearing loss, and the fact that bone conduction was lost across all frequencies, is why my ENT deduced my case involved inner ear damage. But, I believe the only true indication of "barotrauma" was me saying I was descending from 0' to 30' with sloppy equalization when I lost my hearing. I don't believe enough evidence / symptoms presented themselves to definitively determine whether I had Inner Ear Barotrauma or Inner Ear Decompression Sickness.

Both of my tubes are checked for obstructions before and after the hyperbaric treatments.

My ENT and the hyperbaric team both thought hyperbaric O2 wouldn't hurt, and might help. The hyperbaric MD explained to me that the cochlea is an under-oxygenated part of the body, with poor circulation - and that hyperbaric O2 can both raise the oxygen level directly in the cells, as well as increasing the oxygen level in my plasma. Essentially helping the cells in the cochlea stay alive while the body grows new capillaries.

However, both my ENT and the hyperbaric team were clear with me that the data on hyperbaric O2 for cases like mine was extremely limited.

I know the first week, HBO definitely helped - whether that same healing would have eventually came with the steroid treatments I had administered in parallel is impossible to know, of course.

I see my ENT on Monday, and will get a copy of my initial audiogram to post here. Any other observations from my initial presentation / diagnosis that I should share? I'm as much interested in posting a clear case history here for someone suffering a similar issue in the future, as I am in getting specific assistance with my hearing loss. That's really my motivation for keeping careful records of my treatments, recovery, etc.

Thanks Ken. I should have been more specific - hyperbaric oxygen is indicated for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss, where the cause is not clear. I'm linking the relevant page of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society website here.

How deep were your previous dives? If they were no deeper than the 30 fsw of your fourth dive, then inner ear DCS would be highly unlikely.

Best regards,
DDM

Thanks Ken. I should have been more specific - hyperbaric oxygen is indicated for idiopathic sudden sensorineural hearing loss, where the cause is not clear. I'm linking the relevant page of the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society website here.

How deep were your previous dives? If they were no deeper than the 30 fsw of your fourth dive, then inner ear DCS would be highly unlikely.

Best regards,
DDM

My 3rd dive, which was Sun AM on Feb 16 was 45 min at 60'. We credited ourselves with a 1 hour break between Dive 3 and Dive 4, but I am not confident that we were actually on the surface for an entire hour.

Dive 4: 30 min dive consisting of compass navigation at 30', CESA exercise from 20' to 0', then returned back to 30'

Vomited profusely as soon as I got back on the boat. Got back to the resort and napped from 2:00pm to 5:00pm, barely poked at my dinner that evening - more tired than I have ever been. Felt some slight vertigo while lying in the bed that came and went in a manner of seconds. Slept soundly from 7pm until the next morning.

Recall that my hearing was "muffled" the following day, but I have a pair of bone conduction exercise headphones, and I recall trying these briefly to confirm my hearing on Monday, and was more or less normal at that time via those headphones - at least that was my perception and recollection.

Up until Thursday Feb 20 at the ENT, I perceived my right ear as being "muffled" not completely deaf - but this was an error in perception and not realizing how much my left ear was compensating.

My complete dive chronology is attached.

Attachments

• Ken Fischer - Hearing Loss Incident Chronology.docx
    24.2 KB · Views: 100
I suppose my question is: What should I do from here? My treatment plan to date is detailed in the attached Excel spreadsheet. Do I turn this over to the "tincture of time" and hope for improvement over the next 2-3 months? Do I undergo another round of oral steroids? Do I take a break from the intratympanic steroids?

Attachments

• Documentation of hearing treatment.xlsx
    14.6 KB · Views: 110
My 3rd dive, which was Sun AM on Feb 16 was 45 min at 60'. We credited ourselves with a 1 hour break between Dive 3 and Dive 4, but I am not confident that we were actually on the surface for an entire hour.

Dive 4: 30 min dive consisting of compass navigation at 30', CESA exercise from 20' to 0', then returned back to 30'

Vomited profusely as soon as I got back on the boat. Got back to the resort and napped from 2:00pm to 5:00pm, barely poked at my dinner that evening - more tired than I have ever been. Felt some slight vertigo while lying in the bed that came and went in a manner of seconds. Slept soundly from 7pm until the next morning.

Recall that my hearing was "muffled" the following day, but I have a pair of bone conduction exercise headphones, and I recall trying these briefly to confirm my hearing on Monday, and was more or less normal at that time via those headphones - at least that was my perception and recollection.

Up until Thursday Feb 20 at the ENT, I perceived my right ear as being "muffled" not completely deaf - but this was an error in perception and not realizing how much my left ear was compensating.

My complete dive chronology is attached.

Going by your description of the dives and your symptoms, I would say that inner ear DCS is highly unlikely.

Your nosebleeds were likely caused by sinus barotrauma - you don't usually feel it when it happens on descent, but when you ascend, the expanding air in the sinus pushes the blood and mucus out. Were you congested before or during these dives?

Severe vomiting on the boat could be caused by a lot of things, but just going by the history you've provided, I'd focus on either inner ear barotrauma or alternobaric vertigo - a phenomenon where one ear clears before the other, the two vestibular apparatus see different pressures and so there are different stimuli going to the brain. You may well have had a bit of both, but the sensorineural hearing loss is suggestive of inner ear barotrauma.

Inner ear barotrauma can be fistulating or non-fistulating. Your relatively rapid recovery suggests that there was not a fistula, though as you noted, the only way to definitively diagnose a PLF is through surgical exploration.

Normally in the setting of suspected inner ear barotrauma, recompression is contraindicated unless decompression sickness is definitively diagnosed, and even then there's a risk/benefit analysis that has to happen. I'm hesitant to Monday-morning-quarterback your care team, but at the very least, it was a gutsy move to place tympanostomy tubes and administer hyperbaric oxygen. The internal diameter of those tubes is minuscule - one tiny fragment of wax or a blood clot could have blocked the tube and caused further injury. It seems like you had a pretty good outcome, but again, it's hard to say whether that's from hyperbaric oxygen, steroids, or from the fact that they placed a PE tube in the TM of your affected ear and relieved whatever pressure was in there.

Re continued therapy, that's something best discussed with your ENT and the rest of your care team. Hope this helps.

Best regards,
DDM

I suppose my question is: What should I do from here? My treatment plan to date is detailed in the attached Excel spreadsheet. Do I turn this over to the "tincture of time" and hope for improvement over the next 2-3 months? Do I undergo another round of oral steroids? Do I take a break from the intratympanic steroids?

No one wants to give an opinion on what you should do. First, there is no real data that I am aware of that tells us what percentage recover from inner ear barotrauma and what treatment, if any, helps.
Secondly, professional people, who are the most likely to know, are hesitant to advise people whom they haven't personally evaluated.
I think it is already out there what I did, that doesn't mean it is what you should do.

I wanted to share here an injury that I sustained on Feb 16. I'll try to be as succinct as possible.

I conducted a CESA during my 4th Open Water certification dive, ascending from 20' to 0'.

At the surface, my instructor and I rested for no more than 30 seconds. (Ocean swells made the surface unpleasant.) We descended back down to 30' to complete the rest of the dive.

My recollection of the subsequent descent is extremely foggy - but I recall feeling "euphoric" and having some difficulty equalizing. But, I did not perceive the pressure as dangerous - I even recall smiling during the descent. I heard a few "tones" during the descent in my right ear, but nothing that I perceived as dangerous. [I will re-emphasize that this was my 5th descent ever in open water - total novice.]

I sustained inner ear barotrauma in my right ear (formally diagnosed 4 days later on Feb 20.) 2 months later, I have lost hearing for frequencies between 1600 Hz and 2300 Hz, and for frequencies > 3200 Hz. [In other words, normal hearing from 250 Hz to 2500 Hz, and for a small region from 2400-3100 Hz] My left ear is completely unaffected and normal.

The "euphoric" feelings, poor recollection, etc. - I speculate that the rapid cycle of 20' to 0' to 30' acted as a pump, pushing off-gassed Nitrogen back into my body during the descent?

Perhaps it was just adrenaline. In any case : the "CESA followed by an immediate descent" was a really bad combination for this newbie diver.

@Ken Fischer
sorry to hear that!
It is unlikely that you experienced nitrogen narcosis at those depths.
Were you wearing a hood? Often times if you failed to properly flood the external ear canal you can cause barotrauma that way, and can also obviously cause it by inadequate equalization.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom