NERD 2nd thoughts...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once a CCR diver, you are not going back to OC for a second dive. I don't know any CCR diver that would do that. Even if it was a quick 'clear the anchor' bounce dive, it will be done on the rebreather. They are not going to have a complete different OC set of gear ready to go again recently enough that you would need the tissue loading.

In theory, there is a lot of stuff that could happen. Reality is CCR divers just don't do that.

Ever hear of the phrase "a solution in search of a problem"?

Once a CCR diver, you are not going back to OC for a second dive. I don't know any CCR diver that would do that. Even if it was a quick 'clear the anchor' bounce dive, it will be done on the rebreather. They are not going to have a complete different OC set of gear ready to go again recently enough that you would need the tissue loading.

In theory, there is a lot of stuff that could happen. Reality is CCR divers just don't do that.

But the OP is talking about teaching OC classes and sneaking in CC fun dives around that schedule. Can’t use the CCR for all solutions in this situation.

FWIW, I occasionally mix-n-match OC and CCR diving on the same day. In those cases, though, there’s typically only a single OC dive that’s probably not long or deep, and there’s usually enough of a SI that it doesn’t seem to change much comparing across a computer brought on both dives and my rebreather computer.

Jim

Oh, so you can't have it in the water if it's not plugged into the CCR? I haven't used the Fischer version, but if that's the case then I guess my idea wouldn't work!
Nah, the Fischer :(

Just cap the fisher inlet and shove it in your pocket.
Although I am not a fan of connecting and disconnecting fishers any more than really necessary

But Fischers also tend to stick and not come apart if left together for too many dives.
If they are not capped and sealed, water will blow right through the pins.

The OP is diving a Kiss Sidewinder ccr which would give him a complete set up OC gear with no real changes to the way he would be diving the ccr. If he takes his off board dill and his bail out regs he has a complete sidemount setup with no hose changes or harness changes. Just don't install the the ccr to the wing.

As for the nerd question. I was looking at a similar option. I don't have my sidewinder yet but need to update my backup computer for my tech dives. I was looking at the Petrel computer with fischer and decided to contact Shearewater before ordering. I guess in theory you can cap the fischer port but it is not recomended to be used underwater in this configuration. I am now planning to contact them to see if the computers (petral 2 and nerd 2) can be ordered with the 4 pin wet connector ready to work with the reading directly off the 3 cells. and skip the fischer cable all together.

It might be worth contacting Shearwater to see if you can ship your computer back to them to have the 4 pin cable installed which sounds like it can get wet with out issue. (proper cleaning required). If shearwater can't Mike Young answered a question I asked on FB and they sell the nerd 2 with the 4 pin wet connector directly from them so they might also be able to retro fit your existing computer. They will also have the molex to 4 pin cable for the head of the ccr.

The OP is diving a Kiss Sidewinder ccr which would give him a complete set up OC gear with no real changes to the way he would be diving the ccr. If he takes his off board dill and his bail out regs he has a complete sidemount setup with no hose changes or harness changes. Just don't install the the ccr to the wing.

As for the nerd question. I was looking at a similar option. I don't have my sidewinder yet but need to update my backup computer for my tech dives. I was looking at the Petrel computer with fischer and decided to contact Shearewater before ordering. I guess in theory you can cap the fischer port but it is not recomended to be used underwater in this configuration. I am now planning to contact them to see if the computers (petral 2 and nerd 2) can be ordered with the 4 pin wet connector ready to work with the reading directly off the 3 cells. and skip the fischer cable all together.

It might be worth contacting Shearwater to see if you can ship your computer back to them to have the 4 pin cable installed which sounds like it can get wet with out issue. (proper cleaning required). If shearwater can't Mike Young answered a question I asked on FB and they sell the nerd 2 with the 4 pin wet connector directly from them so they might also be able to retro fit your existing computer. They will also have the molex to 4 pin cable for the head of the ccr.

KISS has exclusivity on the subconn analog connectors, dealers are not able to purchase these part numbers.

As for the nerd question. I was looking at a similar option. I don't have my sidewinder yet but need to update my backup computer for my tech dives. I was looking at the Petrel computer with fischer and decided to contact Shearewater before ordering. I guess in theory you can cap the fischer port but it is not recomended to be used underwater in this configuration. .

Not sure where you got this from but the cap doesn't seal any differently than a fisher cable. Fill the space with a couple drops of mineral oil and you're as sealed as you can be cap vs fisher. If you don't actually need the cable port then don't buy it of course.

Not sure where you got this from but the cap doesn't seal any differently than a fisher cable. Fill the space with a couple drops of mineral oil and you're as sealed as you can be cap vs fisher. If you don't actually need the cable port then don't buy it of course.

rjack321. I got this information directly from Shearwater. The cap is shorter than the fischer cable end and thus does not seal the same way contacting the o-ring in the bottom of the port it relays on the o-ring on the cap to seal. Yes you could use the cap with the mineral oil it is just not recommended and I would suspect that it would not be covered under warranty if there was a problem as its not designed to be dove this way.

And Yes you are correct about getting a computer that does not have a cable or port if that is going to be your primary computer and or you are not looking at diving CCR. My current perdix AI is my primary computer for all OC diving. I have an old 2 gas computer that works as a backup for now but it is limiting. I am working on getting into a CCR and would rather not have to buy a second perdix for 10% or less of my tech diving once I have the CCR. So rather than buying a complete second computer just for when I want to do an OC tech dive rather than a CCR dive if the computer can work for both that saves over $1500cad

Tbone1004, Thanks for the information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom