What impact will the absence of cruise ships have on the reef?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetInPortland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The initial reports are as follows:

Carnival: shutdown through 10-April
Celebrity: shutdown through 13-April
Disney: shutdown through 31-March
Holland America: shutdown through 14-April
Norwegian: shutdown through 11-April
MSC: shutdown through 30-April
Oceania: shutdown through 11-April
Princess: shutdown through 10-May
Regent Seven Seas: shutdown through 11-April
Royal Caribbean: shutdown through 13-April
Seaborne: shutdown through 13-April

This is not a complete list.

See specific cruise line web sites for more details. Exact end dates for shutdowns may vary slightly as many statements used terms such as "30 days" and it was not always easy to determine start dates. Shutdowns will likely be slightly longer, as many departures are weekly will resume normal schedules after the shutdowns end.

Note that these are the dates as of TODAY. Global events related to the COVID-19 virus could cause these dates to change!

Cruise ships bring up to 25,000 - 30,000 passengers and crew to Cozumel daily. Recommendations to avoid crowds and unnecessary travel will likely have an impact on Cozumel hotel occupancy rates, although it will be difficult to gauge precisely. In the fall of 2019, the Mexican government closed southern sections of the Mesoamerican Reef off Cozumel for approximately two months. Northern sections of the reef remained open. The current situation reguarding visitors will arguably result in a much larger reduction in reef impacts (trash, sunscreen, sewage, visitors picking up starfish, etc), albeit for a shorter period of time if the above dates hold.

Please post dive reports, especially if there are noticeable differences in reef life.

The initial reports are as follows:

Carnival: shutdown through 10-April
Celebrity: shutdown through 13-April
Disney: shutdown through 31-March
Holland America: shutdown through 14-April
Norwegian: shutdown through 11-April
MSC: shutdown through 30-April
Oceania: shutdown through 11-April
Princess: shutdown through 10-May
Regent Seven Seas: shutdown through 11-April
Royal Caribbean: shutdown through 13-April
Seaborne: shutdown through 13-April

This is not a complete list.
Of course, all of these date ranges, like the suspension dates for major and minor league sports, music concerts, conventions, etc. are all based on a best case scenario where this thing goes away as quickly as it came to us. I don't think it's likely to unfold that way.

30,000 per day? Holy crap.

I, too, am very interested to see if this has any ecological effect similar to the air pollution in China.

I'm routing for the reef!!!!

Speaking of occupancy rates....the Grand Occidental is totally sold out April 11-26th!?

I’m looking for those dates and possibly a call will reveal plenty of cancellation...?

I hope the appropriate scientists all over the world are gearing up and testing/monitoring all aspects of our environment as this seems like an unprecedented opportunity (at least in current times) to study human impact. Even if the slowdown only lasts for a short time it should provide invaluable data. There has to be some type of silver lining...right?

I've noticed within the past month of many hard corals that were white have regained their colour.
I'm surprised; I had the impression that once a brain coral has succumbed to the White Blight, the polyps are dead. Do they recover, or can larval polyps repopulate an existing coral formation?

We saw 9 ships last week on Tuesday, it was horrific. That's 45000 people on the island. All the playas with bars and inflatables were absolutely JAMMED.

I wish i knew the source, but on a similar note ive seen some posts about a noticed decrease in pollution over china via satellite since factories shut down. So somebody is looking for environmental changes and already seen some positives.

I wish i knew the source, but on a similar note ive seen some posts about a noticed decrease in pollution over china via satellite since factories shut down. So somebody is looking for environmental changes and already seen some positives.

upload_2020-3-17_13-21-5.jpeg

before and after. incredible.

Back
Top Bottom