Should I go back to traditional reg set-up? (vs. primary donate)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok, think of all the possibilities.

As you pointed out the holders don't work very well so is the likely hood higher of you you transmitting a disease, which if you had you likely wouldn't be diving anyway or or handing someone a non working reg because it's full of crap from dragging.

What is the likelihood of a OOA diver panicking and taking the reg with bubbles coming out any wise (never experienced this myself but know of it happening)

Think of all possibilities and when it comes down to it dive the way YOU are most comfortable.

Mine too. But dont we prepare our gear beforehand, anticipating any risks?
I would suspect that the risk of getting covid 19 from donating in an ooa situation is much smaller than the likelihood of someone's unused octopus malfunctioning (I have seen far too many abused octopi dragged through the sand while diving, etc). If given the choice, even with the risk of covid-19, I think I'd still rather the regulator they are breathing from. At least I know if works.

the most compelling reason to use primary donate is because you build muscle memory for technical configurations. Beyond that the commonly accept recreational system is not primary donate, it is octo donate. If you want to switch back do it because you have no intent of doing tech or doubles diving, not because of corona virus fears. (i sincerely hope this does not devolve into a rec for primary donate debate again)

May be true, but this is where being underwater works in our favor. If the Rona cant survive in sea water, the (loose) octo will be disinfected by the time I need it. But if I just took it from someone's infected mouth, in which case, I basically French-kissed the Rona.

From this article (From a surfers point of view)

COVID-19 and Beach Water Quality: Updates from the Research Community

"Does the virus spread through recreational waterways?

The virus has been shown to remain viable and infectious, at least temporarily, in natural freshwater environments including lakes and streams. While dilution is suspected to keep the risk low, high concentrations of the viable COVID-19 virus could put freshwater recreation users at risk. There was no information shared on the ability of the COVID-19 virus to remain viable in saltwater"

Ok, think of all the possibilities.

As you pointed out the holders don't work very well so is the likely hood higher of you you transmitting a disease, which if you had you likely wouldn't be diving anyway or or handing someone a non working reg because it's full of crap from dragging.

What is the likelihood of a OOA diver panicking and taking the reg with bubbles coming out any wise (never experienced this myself but know of it happening)

Think of all possibilities and when it comes down to it dive the way YOU are most comfortable.

THANK YOU for actually addressing my question, and UNDERSTANDING that we are weighing different risks, and discussing those risks.

It sounds like you may have a different conclusion from me ( I lean towards traditional reg now), but you've given me something to think about. I note also that my region has a higher incidence of the Rona, so thats another factor

Oh, and to directly address your question: Changing your set up will have no effect on whether your buddy infects you, so no. Unless you feel you may infect your buddy and want to possibly protect him.

From this article (From a surfers point of view)

COVID-19 and Beach Water Quality: Updates from the Research Community

"Does the virus spread through recreational waterways?

The virus has been shown to remain viable and infectious, at least temporarily, in natural freshwater environments including lakes and streams. While dilution is suspected to keep the risk low, high concentrations of the viable COVID-19 virus could put freshwater recreation users at risk. There was no information shared on the ability of the COVID-19 virus to remain viable in saltwater"

Thanks, this is useful information, and I hadnt been able to find it in my quick google search. Although the above is about the virus transmitting if it is present generally in freshwater. I wish we knew if the Rona could survive on a surface -- like a reg mouthpiece, if its submerged in sea water. Because if it does, any advantage of a traditional reg set-up is likely gone.

Can I sidetrack this, just a little (I know, Scubaboard, where every thread stays right on topic)?

Say you are set up for primary donate, but use one of the moldable mouthpieces (like a SeaCure).

If you do donate, does the recipient run the risk of a poor seal because their teeth clearly won't match yours?

I would suspect that the risk of getting covid 19 from donating in an ooa situation is much smaller than the likelihood of someone's unused octopus malfunctioning (I have seen far too many abused octopi dragged through the sand while diving, etc). If given the choice, even with the risk of covid-19, I think I'd still rather the regulator they are breathing from. At least I know if works.

Thank you for addressing the question. Again, I may come up with a different conclusion. Partly because local govts are urging us to do everything to reduce the risk of spreading the Rona. But you are giving me food for thought, and maybe the small risk of an abused octo should be weighed more than the very small risk of spreading the Rona.

Oh, and to directly address your question: Changing your set up will have no effect on whether your buddy infects you, so no. Unless you feel you may infect your buddy and want to possibly protect him.

Yes, I do want to protect my buddy, although really, its about reducing risks.

Can I sidetrack this, just a little (I know, Scubaboard, where every thread stays right on topic)?

Say you are set up for primary donate, but use one of the moldable mouthpieces (like a SeaCure).

If you do donate, does the recipient run the risk of a poor seal because their teeth clearly won't match yours?

Honestly, thats where the scenario I complained that people kept bringing up: "If Im OOA, I'll take any reg offered" may be appropriate as an answer. I wouldnt weigh the small risk that I couldn't hold on to your SeaCure reg in a donate situation higher than the more significant inconvenience of you being uncomfortable all the time that you're diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom