GoPro 8 settings for SCUBA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZeroG

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Anyone have best settings tips for GoPro 8 (or other) to use while SCUBA diving?

What's everyone put the exposure at? I shot today for the first time and it it came out over exposed on zero. The water was shallow and clear (Key Largo)

What's everyone put the exposure at? I shot today for the first time and it it came out over exposed on zero. The water was shallow and clear (Key Largo)

I pull back -0.5 or -1
I'm using a Hero 8 Black, but I used the same EV on the 4 Silver and 6 Black.

I would use ISO 100-400 on Protune. If you are doing post correction, consider using flat color. Use auto white balance. I shoot in 4k 60FPS - wide.

I agree with everything there and it's definitely taking some getting used to for this GoPro because it seems all of the video comes out relatively bright and clear water. I also set the EV to -1 to take the edge off. I don't though put it on auto white balance because it will change throughout the video and if you use Lightroom to correct I prefer to have the same white balance all the way through for easiness of correction. If not it changes so you might correct a scene in one clip then 5 minutes later you go shallower and the white balance corrects itself with the camera again but now since you originally set your white balance to earlier in the video your video could appear very red.

I still prefer to shoot at 1080p - much easier to work with the files vs creating proxies (or buying a computer at the cost of a car!). The exception would be if you plan to stabilize the footage or crop during post-processing. It's really a personal preference.

Also, I haven't tested the brightness in clear waters like Florida, but would shooting at a higher frame rate and limiting the ISO help the exposure issue?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom