2 low power strobes vs 1 high power strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I put a single light on a GoPro. The results were horrible. Can we say 'massive shadows'? I have 2 cheap lights now and the results are so much better. The lights still suck as they are $25 specials, but the lesson learned was that I will need 2 of whatever when I get big boy lights.

Two Z240s for $400 is a smokin' deal!! I would jump on that just to have them, use the crap out of them, and keep them as backups if/when you ever decide to get something "better" (in quotes on purpose - the 240s are really good). I have been using a pair of 240s for a few years now. I virtually never run them wide open, so I don't know that you are likely to need a brighter (higher GN) strobe. Maybe if you get into shooting sunballs or other wide angle stuff that is strongly backlit. I am saving my pennies now for a pair of Retra Pro strobes, but that is more about the faster cycle time than the specs saying that the Retras are brighter.

That link doesn't work for me. But, I have one of those lights, and I think it is really nice.

Review: Xtar D36 5800 Flood/Spot dive light

(I think this is the link you were trying to post)

Certainly you get more photons from 2 strobes, but in general I think he meant that for a given exposure you are only interested in enough light for the correct exposure.
Bill

The useful distance of a strobe underwater is limited. Sure, stronger or multiple strobes may have more a bit more reach but where having two strobes is useful is to have better control and direction of lighting and larger coverage for a WA lens.

My dual D-2000 strobes are GN20. I can get three to five feet with them at which point they are near full dump. Maybe a foot more with a Z240, maybe yet another foot with the Z330 or some of the other GN30+ strobes? Of course it depends upon many things, but what distances do you guys find you can fully illuminate a subject or balance ambient with your strobe(s)?

James

Certainly you get more photons from 2 strobes, but in general I think he meant that for a given exposure you are only interested in enough light for the correct exposure.
Bill
I have no idea what he meant, which is why I asked.

The useful distance of a strobe underwater is limited. Sure, stronger or multiple strobes may have more a bit more reach but where having two strobes is useful is to have better control and direction of lighting and larger coverage for a WA lens.

My dual D-2000 strobes are GN20. I can get three to five feet with them at which point they are near full dump. Maybe a foot more with a Z240, maybe yet another foot with the Z330 or some of the other GN30+ strobes? Of course it depends upon many things, but what distances do you guys find you can fully illuminate a subject or balance ambient with your strobe(s)?

James

I feel like I have some shark photos from inside a wreck, but with decent ambient light coming in from around 3 sides of the compartment, where the shark is 10' away (in the middle of the compartment) and my strobes (Z240s) are lighting it up. Without using a full dump.

If you want, I can go back and look for one or two to post.

Of course it depends on the clarity of the water and a whole bunch of other settings on the camera particularly f stop. 3 meters away should be doable but you would need pretty open aperture.
Bill

A general rule of thumb that I use underwater is that if it isn't close enough that I could reach out and tough it, then I probably can not count on lighting it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom