• 70-79

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • 80-89

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 90-99

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, that is my point, when I was 12, I was certified. My friends too. We read everything we could find and pestered the library to get more, Scoured the magazine racks for Skin Diver magazine. We did not need anyone to coax us or send us pearls of knowledge because we sought it out on our own initiative.
Do you really think your library had anywhere near the volume of scuba-related content that's on this board alone, let alone the whole wide internet?

Do you really think your library had anywhere near the volume of scuba-related content that's on this board alone, let alone the whole wide internet?

Your point? So, here it is easy to access and we had to go dig it out. You are helping my argument ----.

I have been a diver since 1966, I have watched that Bell curve march right along with me. When I was I was in my 20s, all the other divers were too, some a little older, some a little younger. When I was in my thirties, same thing. Now in my 60s I am still often the youngest on the boat and certainly not the oldest. It is still the same people! And yes, I do see some younger people but having been there, which you were not, the absence of young people today is hard to understand, where are they? And it not just diving. Hopefully they will show up to the party in due course.

I ran into a fellow a couple of years ago. I had loaned him a set of fins when he lost one of his. It was 30 years ago. I keep running into the same people! He asked if I wanted them back. I mean like, surely you are not still using them? Well, they were Jet Fins! Everywhere I go, it is like, hey you, I know you, back in 76 we dove together or, hey lady, I was your buddy back in 88! The only thing that changes in the crowd is their hair gets more gray, if they still have it.

Was Sea Hunt really that good?

I've never heard of anyone from later generations say they were inspired to dive by a TV show, but it seems like a lot of the early divers were.

I've never heard of anyone from later generations say they were inspired to dive by a TV show, but it seems like a lot of the early divers were.

Not precisely a TV show, but I saw Journey Into Amazing Caves in Omnimax as a 10-year-old and caught the bug.

Started diving at 24 and made it into my first cave at 29.

Your point? So, here it is easy to access and we had to go dig it out. You are helping my argument ----.
No, we disagree. But I think I understand your argument better than you understand mine. What we have here is a needle in a haystack problem. For every pearl of wisdom Altamira sends his grandson, he has to wade through countless posts about how young people suck and other rants that probably didn't clutter up the pages of Skin Diver magazine back in your day. That's the time problem he was alluding to, which you've completely failed to grasp. I've gotten a lot of good information from this board, but I've spent far more time looking for it than it would take to read a couple of periodicals. Even so, if someone I knew IRL were to stumble across something on this board that might interest me, there would be a decent chance I hadn't seen it and would appreciate them sharing it with me (especially if it came from the archives.)

It continues to amaze me how many old folks here have such negative views of young people, express them here so frankly, and then wonder why the young people aren't flocking to their knee to hear more lectures.

So, that is my point, when I was 12, I was certified. My friends too. We read everything we could find and pestered the library to get more, Scoured the magazine racks for Skin Diver magazine. We did not need anyone to coax us or send us pearls of knowledge because we sought it out on our own initiative. The interest was infectious at the time and explains the bump in that bell curve and why your "younger diver" needs financial resources that none of us had, yet we dove. We dove in lacks, rivers, mud puddles, not exotic trips to sunny warm places far away. I am sorry, but why is it different now? Why is there no or little interest?

N
When I started I didn’t have any money either. I bought a cheap wetsuit and some fins, mask, used weightbelt at a flea market, and a pole spear, etc and started freediving. I used to freeze my ass off but I didn’t care, I was having too much fun.
I got certified and bought gear later.
My only regret is that I didn’t start sooner.

Was Sea Hunt really that good?

Let me start by saying that I was on the tail end of Sea Hunt, I’m 58, so some but not as much on me. HOWEVER, you need to remember that, depending on where one lived, you only had maybe 1-8 tv stations to watch, so it didn’t really matter how good the show really was. Also, there was The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau, MAJOR influence on me, and the epic underwater battle on whichever James Bond movie that was. For a kid growing up in rural America, even if we traveled a lot in the states, these shows sparked the imagination.

Erik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom