Supporting our local dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can have multiple people on a video call, but the students would still need access to a tank with an unknown % to test for the class itself.
But at least you could do the classroom portion. This is applicable to a lot of scuba class.

I just got my tank farm vip'd and ordered a fill card. Doing what I can. This is a hard time for northern dive shops to be shut down, just as classes are about to kick off.

But at least you could do the classroom portion. This is applicable to a lot of scuba class.

Definitely, it just doesn't cover all aspects of everything. I could see it working well for a lot of the more theoretical portions/courses (like fish identification, as a random example).

My local shop was talking about doing a modified OW course where everyone does all the elearning over the next couple weeks and they schedule 2 students at a time to come in for pool sessions with the instructor. Skills like air sharing done using regs attached to separate tanks that hadn't been used, etc, and face to face discussions via video conferencing.

lots of courses can be done 90% online BUT you have to have some face time with a prudent instructor , like @rhwestfall said you need to show the instructor that you can analysis gas correctly , so how would the instructor know what the tank actually has in it ?

there are lots of instructors don't play by the rules ..I choose to think most do

there are lots of instructors don't play by the rules ..I choose to think most do
You don’t think an instructor can demonstrate how to calibrate a sensor and measure a cylinder and verify that a student is able to do so via Skype? And fill out the paperwork?

The main hurdles are the logistics are getting an o2 analyzer and nitrox cylinders to the students.

Seems simpler to wait for it all to blow over, but I'm stating the obvious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom