I finally bought a house in Cave Country! W00T!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well this would be my $.05, I would eliminate any and all galvanized fittings along with that relic tank (Would make a great lawn roller). I have a "public water system' at our cottage rental business and by eliminating all the galvanized fittings, tank, etc. the water quality is absolutely fantastic. both in taste and clarity. All fittings are either brass, copper, stainless or plastic. We do have to chlorinate due to state guidelines, but after setting up municipal systems, I only use sodium hypochlorite. As for the control tank, get a bladder lined unit of appropriate size for your use. If you have any turbibity, get one of the large whole house filter assemblies. Hope this was not too long and maybe a little helpful.

Pineapple tasting tap water.
Um, it's not normal 'tap' water... it's more like opening a bottle of Evian. Well, better than that. :D

I have to ask, is there a break in period for a new person who is using/ drinking this water. Does it bother the innards or do you have to filter it before drinking.
This is the water you buy in the store when you buy spring or mineral water. It comes from the same aquifer you get Pure Life, Zephyr Hills and the like.

The pineapple taste comes from Pineapple Crush additive I get from the dollar store. I love pineapple and we usually keep two jugs in the fridge. I'm more in a sweet tea neighborhood, where my pineapple and even lemonade are the exception. Ah, I see @tbone1004 has already answered this.
Pete, do you have an iron filter? There was lots of rust in the water at the place I stayed at in Trenton.
I do not. I'm not sure I could filter out the iron and keep the calcium carbonate. I don't taste the iron, but I so see a bit of staining. Hey, why take vitamins when you have it on tap? :D That calcium is good for the bones.

I'm headed into town today to get the fixtures I -think- I'm going to need.

I always kind of knew what those tanks did, but have never gotten such an in-depth explanation. Love that I can get that info here. Though I live in the city where I never have to worry about using a well, I always like knowing what things are.

I still want to know why the cable companies install K cylinders of some gas in random places. I've been told it's for the fiber optic cables, but not why or what gas it is. I drive around St Pete and Tampa and see them all over the place. I'll be ultra impressed if I get an explanation of those. Google has failed me

I always kind of knew what those tanks did, but have never gotten such an in-depth explanation. Love that I can get that info here. Though I live in the city where I never have to worry about using a well, I always like knowing what things are.

I still want to know why the cable companies install K cylinders of some gas in random places. I've been told it's for the fiber optic cables, but not why or what gas it is. I drive around St Pete and Tampa and see them all over the place. I'll be ultra impressed if I get an explanation of those. Google has failed me

Could be a shielding gas for the splicing process, but I don't think I've ever seen one, so wouldn't know for sure.

. I've been told it's for the fiber optic cables, but not why or what gas it is. I drive around St Pete and Tampa and see them all over the place. I'll be ultra impressed if I get an explanation of those.
They're part of new eGas company. Rather than pipe the gas in, you can simply download it off of your PC for personal use. We're trying to set that up for air and NitrOx fills as well. :D :D :D

So no, I have no idea, but I think I know who to ask.

They're part of new eGas company. Rather than pipe the gas in, you can simply download it off of your PC for personal use. We're trying to set that up for air and NitrOx fills as well. :D :D :D

So no, I have no idea, but I think I know who to ask.

I bought the DGX Internet Trimix Filler years ago. Took years before the internet bandwidth problem was solved but getting Trimix over the internet was worth it.:acclaim:

Michael

The pipes that the fibers run through are pressurized in order to keep water out of the pipe. The cylinders you see are to top up the pressure when it starts to get low.

Speaking of pipes... don't ever let Ma~ operate the tractor after a few hits of catnip.

I was using the tractor to do some heavy digging so that I could get to all of the piping. I was trying to get a large enough pit, but I went too large. As I was easing up to the existing pipes, the earth broke away under the tractor's front tires and I slid into the tank. Water was everywhere as the PVC pipes were busted. The galvanized steel fittings were just fine and now I'm doing the job today, rather than tomorrow. Yeah, I couldn't get the large diameter 1 1/4" pipe flange to budge, so I hacksawed though one of the nipples. Bought new hardware for that too, including a one-way valve. Now I get to spend some quality time with a two fisted idiot stick. :D

Never put off till tomorrow, what you can eff up today! :D :D :D

full?d=1584820894.jpg

The scene of the crime!

full?d=1584820894.jpg

The tank in mid air...

full?d=1584820894.jpg

Proper supervision is key! Ma~ Loves to gaurd the bird feeder.​

The pipes that the fibers run through are pressurized in order to keep water out of the pipe. The cylinders you see are to top up the pressure when it starts to get low.

I was told something similar except the gas was also to help conductivity of the fiber.
The stuff you learn on sb.

Day 2 sans water. It's almost light enough to get back at it.

I don't like the way the tank was set up. You had to disconnect the electricity from the pump to service the tank. As seldom as you have to deal with the tank, it's probably not a big thing, but now that I'm replacing the galvanized fittings I want to do this smarter. The old one way valve was galvanized and not looking too good. In fact, the valve is not longer water tight. I seems the holes drilled and tapped into it were from the installer. There are two of them and they are not in line. The new one way valve is brass, and I intend to drill it as well to accommodate the pump switch. I think I'll install the air add/bleed in the plug on top of the water tank. I'm pretty sure I have a 1/4" NPT tap.

The first order of business is to get the concrete pad down and level. The base of the tank is 19" and the largest pad I can find is 16x16x4". The previous base was two 8x16x4" blocks that were anything but level. I'm going to put down the full bad and put four of the half pads around it. I don't like it, but there's nothing else available.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom