Covid-19 (coronavirus) Updates - Liveaboard Cancellation Policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is from a direct email from the owner of Nautilus Liveaboards a few hours ago

difficult times

our trips will run as scheduled and promised unless the government of mexico halts operations

we have a contingency plan in place to get clients back to San Diego if commercial flights are stopped
either by charter bus or using our own jet (more likely the jet but not a promise)

the boats are still a healthy and happy place to be lots of clients currently onboard are signing up for a back to back trip and staying onboard rather than go home

clients can cancel if they choose. that’s their option anyone who cancels will receive 40% credit towards a future trip"

The email from Nautilus Liveaboard owner is confusing.

1. For those US guests, how would they get to the boat after the US government banned the non-essential to go to Mexico as of yesterday?

2. For those US guests that somehow made it to the boat and wanted to go home, does it mean Nautilus Liveaboard would be allowed by US government to sail to San Diego or to fly over to US destination somewhere (not specified where) by their own jet and drop US passengers there?

3. Pure speculation. Not all clients have the flexibility/luxury to extend their plan vacation.

4. If it’s not on their control, that 40% credit doesn’t sound fair to me.

@soonerwink, would you mind sharing those emails with me? I started a conversation with you. I was supposed to be on the UnderSea right now and did not go. Very Unprofessional. Thanks

@soonerwink, would you mind sharing those emails with me? I started a conversation with you. I was supposed to be on the UnderSea right now and did not go. Very Unprofessional. Thanks
The email was not sent to me, but to the leader/dive shop owner. I was only sent a copy. Since it wasn't to me directly, I don't think I should share entire email. Nautilus has said they will reconsider their policy and let us know more on Monday. Maybe they have seen the negative responses on scubaboard.

4. If it’s not on their control, that 40% credit doesn’t sound fair to me.

A 60% hit for the clients for a LOB leaving at the end of this month sounds extremely high. It sounds like they're keeping their profit and hitting you will all costs (many of which haven't been incurred; fuel for example).

I think a 20% is more in the ballpark.

A 60% hit for the clients for a LOB leaving at the end of this month sounds extremely high. It sounds like they're keeping their profit and hitting you will all costs (many of which haven't been incurred; fuel for example).

I think a 20% is more in the ballpark.
It seems like most of the other LOB companies are offering 100% on future bookings. Since we have the whole boat booked, it will set at dock with no expenses. I have even heard that some of their clients that are returning are going back out since there is space available. So they are getting paid double for those spaces.

Reactions: Jay
The email was not sent to me, but to the leader/dive shop owner. I was only sent a copy. Since it wasn't to me directly, I don't think I should share entire email. Nautilus has said they will reconsider their policy and let us know more on Monday. Maybe they have seen the negative responses on scubaboard.
No problem, I understand. Do you mind asking him/her if they would be willing to email it? Would appreciate it, thanks.

Yesterday they posted, and I am paraphrasing, that they couldn't refund everyone's money because they were a small operation and would go bankrupt. Obviously, this went over as well as you would expect... They have since deactivated the company facebook page.

What a horrible way to handle this entire situation.

Yesterday they posted, and I am paraphrasing, that they couldn't refund everyone's money because they were a small operation and would go bankrupt. Obviously, this went over as well as you would expect... They have since deactivated the company facebook page.

What a horrible way to handle this entire situation.

Who are “they”?

I would expect credit towards future trips, not refund. So far Master fleet did that for me. They offer me to reschedule my French Polynesia trip in May to later date at no cost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom