Does anyone know if companies will extend warranties if equipment can't get inspected

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Extending the warrantee? There is on in particular which is probably shortening the warrantee by saying that potential exposure to the virus damages the gear and it all needs to be repurchased as new in order to keep yourself safe.

I think your best bet is to contact the shop where you do your inspections and have them contact the manufacturer, IF you can’t get the gear to them.

My shop, Southern MD Divers is open by appointment only now, so theoretically one could drop off or ship regs to us (Apeks etc). However, I’m not advocating driving at this point. Not worth the risk to me to get in an accident and tie up emergency services, or risk contagion from contact. So I’d likely call and ask them to at least contact Apeks and explain service can’t be done but was attempted. At least have them document the inspection was attempted.

Let us know what you hear please. I’m curious as well. I’ll do some digging too.

I am still servicing regs and getting kits. My customers mail them to me. I have two on the bench I'll get done today for the local zoo. Shops could still do service work by appointment, mail, or drop off and not need to have the customer come in the door.
Kits are taking an extra day or two because where I get them from are operating on reduced hours, but they are still shipping.
Call a shop and see if they are at least coming in to check on the place. If they are, they can certainly take a couple hours to service the reg. If it actually needs it. Most regs used recreationally and well cared for don't need serviced every year. The free parts program and warranty dependent on annual service is more to put money in the dealers pocket because you are still paying labor. You bought the kits on the front end when you paid $800-$1000 for the reg. Most divers don't know that.

due to restrictions on travel/shelter in place orders?

Our regulator and BCD warranties are contingent on timely inspection.

SD...

Rather than reading pages of speculative answers...e-mail the manufacturer...and print-off and retain their reply for your records and to show your LDS when your parts are serviced...

WM...

Depending on the manufacturer, they probably have no presence here.
But they might have potential customers here.

But they might have potential customers here.

The other poster suggested giving a shout out to the manufacturer here. Not many do have a presence here. You’re best off contacting manufacturer directly.

Those who receive regulators for repair, through the post, as I frequently do, can aleays work on gear, provided that they possess a backlog of parts kits, for the most common brands; but, if the manufacturer is temporarily shuttered, and considered a "non-essential" business by the burgeoning police state, getting those pricey rubber bands; bits of nylon; or specialty parts, can pose a challenge.

Thankfully, I have hoarded a few, in lieu of a run on six months worth of toilet paper . . .

I am worried about these police state measures too, but given how people have been treating social distancing and shelter-in-place as holidays, I can't blame the state for clamping down. It seems to be the only explicit way people can understand what to do.

Back on topic... I have some brand new dive computers that haven't touched water, that I had planned to use in a couple of months. I'll probably not get to use them until after the warranty expires. Would be nice if the warranties could be extended until I can actually put them through some actual use.

Back
Top Bottom