• 70-79

Votes: 28 5.9%
  • 80-89

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 90-99

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's tech diver money. Almost nobody in recreational diving needs to spend that much, with the exception of a couple of big-ticket items (as mentioned above).
well yes obviously. 5k vs 30 k is quite a jump. although I bought a compressor by dive 40 i understand thats not the norm but I'd like to see a new full cold water setup with 2 tanks for less than $5000 CAD though.

I heard with this lockdown there will be another baby boom happening in nine months. They will call them the Coronials. Maybe we should call them the Nineteeners?

... and many will be named Steely, Dan or Gaucho.

In the video with the divers face planting.......I'd knock the **** outta' those dive masters/deck hands on the boat. Pushing people off.....by the bottom of the their tank? Seriously....wtaf.......

Edit: Having now read the rest of the posts and seen that the deck hands in that video were trying to help divers do front rolls, I can better understand what was going on. But still....anyone seeing that video and not knowing the backstory or context would likely feel the same. And yeah.....I'm surprised to see no masks were harmed in the making of that film

Interesting poll, 50% of respondents between 50 and 69 years old. I'm 66. There are significantly more younger divers in SE Florida on the boats I use in Boynton Beach, West Palm, and Jupiter than are reflected in the poll. There are quite a few teenagers and youngsters in their 20s. Looks like they do not participate on SB:)

Interesting poll, 50% of respondents between 50 and 69 years old. I'm 66. There are significantly more younger divers in SE Florida on the boats I use in Boynton Beach, West Palm, and Jupiter than are reflected in the poll. There are quite a few teenagers and youngsters in their 20s. Looks like they do not participate on SB:)
Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, same here in the Halifax area. I suppose it makes sense that I rarely saw someone our age (I'm 66 too) in the OW courses--mostly upper teens to maybe 30. Figure people our age are probably dive veterans thus not in OW courses (you do see the odd one, of course). Guess the younger ones are just not into SB. Just us geezers who are obsessed with social media & today's technology......

I don't know how it is with your area, but the shops here do their darnedest to not publicize the existence of SB. IMHO, they consider it a threat to their status quo. I've never seen a favorable response from the shops if a discussion mentions SB.

So, unless they find it on their own, it isn't necessarily known to them.

YMMV

I don't know how it is with your area, but the shops here do their darnedest to not publicize the existence of SB. IMHO, they consider it a threat to their status quo. I've never seen a favorable response from the shops if a discussion mentions SB.

So, unless they find it on their own, it isn't necessarily known to them.

YMMV

If new divers were aware of SB, few people would buy two thirds of the junk they buy today from their LDS. Store owners know this - it's a threat to their retail business.

If new divers were aware of SB, few people would buy two thirds of the junk they buy today from their LDS. Store owners know this - it's a threat to their retail business.
This. The bozonity espoused by most shops can't stand the light of day so the last thing they want happening is their customer base going out and getting educated on anything related to diving that they can't directly control or posting anything that they were told in the shop online where everyone can read it. Most of us get duped once and then find SB when we're ready to sell the $1200 poodle jacket and pink split fins the LDS sold us when we took OW.

I can believe that about the LDSs and SB. One instructor freind I assisted did mention it to the OW class. Other than that, I can't recall hearing SB mentioned around the shop, by staff or customers. I doubt there is a biased against it here, as our shop is basically the only major one for many miles, with weekend courses usually full--even at times some over winter here with students diving wet. I'm sure most of them buy stuff from the shop.

Back
Top Bottom