Metric interface socket driver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It’s a tool to unscrew the battery cap on my rebreather. It uses an 18650 batter and the cap is scalloped. It just tears your finger up if your hands are wet.

00179FFB-0AFB-4E0B-9A6D-A3B703D20603.jpeg
625A8E3C-7A44-4D9B-A5B1-6869B20D0E47.jpeg
CA84CF70-7ECE-4B54-A2B7-9BF928C03688.jpeg

Tires are also in inches world wide as well.

There was a time in the early 80s they tried to make an all metric tire, Michelin TRX comes to mind. It didn't work and inches are still the standard for tire sizes.

3d printed? Does it stand up to the torque?

I’m printing four more samples tonight. I’m just using PLA for now but I’m going to be testing them to failure tomorrow. It certainly seems to tolerate normal levels of hand torque on the driver handle very well.

I have some ASA coming in and I think that’s going to be the ticket. It’s UV stable too. But it’s harder to print with and apparent has some fumes... We shall see...

Tires are metric size for width but inch for rim size go figure to piss everyone off I suppose.

Waterpipe and waterhose are also in inchs worldwide.

Michael

And a lot of things that are in metric just happen to evenly divide into inches.

Seat belt bolts are required to be 7/16-20 thread in the united states. Only place that has a requirement on thread size. All the seat belt makers just use that so the tooling is the same. So nearly every seatbelt is bolt in with SAE threads. I am sure there are a few oddities. But the vast majority of European and Japanese cares have an SAE thread on the seatbelts.

As for the plumbing you have to watch carefully. The Brits got most of the world plumbed in British pipe thread, which is different than National (USA) pipe thread. Some of it is really close as well. 1/8" pipe thread is 27 or 28 threads per inch. They will screw into each other a few turns but generally won't seal up.

To this day most hydraulic brake bores (master cylinder, wheel cylinder, Clutch slave) are in fractions of an inch. And this is on Japanese built vehicles.

Those SAE sizes are a lot more places around the world then people think they are. The Canadians have probably adapted to it better than anyone. They can really mix SAE and metric and not be bothered by it at all. At least we are not bothered by that bastard British Whitworth thread, except for photographers. The correct thread for a camera mount is a Whitworth thread, but a NFC ¼" thread is close enough that is what most everyone uses. Not a critical load bearing fastener and it fits.

And a lot of things that are in metric just happen to evenly divide into inches.
Only approximately. I suppose 254mm equals 10 inches, exactly, but that is hardly proof....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom