Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do I have the current situation correct between Dive Damai and Equator:

1/ if the client has insurance use that first.
2/ if not, then receive a voucher - the value of which has fees and other costs deducted from it.

I can see why confusion can happen around the process.

For 2/ How much ($ or %) less is the voucher vs. the $ already paid trip? (anyone who knows please let us know - @JesterDiver @TabeaK ).

Probably not a perfect fit for the thread but I would like to share. One month earlier I scheduled a trip for Puerto Galera.

Purchased roundtrip airline tickets from a broker. ASAP. Added the option to change flight dates for $59.00. Flight scheduled for Mar. 31 departure and Apr. 17 return.

Delta from SFO to LAX. Then Korean airlines to ICN. ICN to MNL. Arrival Apr. 2.

The dilemma for me is that I would like to depart Apr. 30. That would risk $773.00 if President Duterte has not lifted the hold on visas for foreigners.

Per the rules I have to make my decision 24 hours before the date of the original flight. Mar.31

The later I move my departure, the less I will enjoy my decision.

This would be my 4th trip to PG in 18 months. My girlfriend is waiting for me in Valenzuela city. A district in Manila.

Suggestions are appreciated.

I agree that it is going to be too soon. There’s an extremely high chance of getting stuck and not being able to come home, assuming there are still commercial flights even going out, let alone returning. Many US and international carriers are slashing all their international flights due to demand with very little notice and keeping only a few, quite literally. Given the situation now which I suspect will get worse plus the global alert to not travel at all, I don’t think it’s a good idea and I suspect PH will still be locked down then. It has bad written all over it. I expect even stricter border closures and restrictions going forward while keeping in mind your transit airports and requirements for quarantine, if even allowed in, upon arrival.

My guess is your LAX to ICN or ICN to MNL flight may be cancelled between now and then anyway if not already.

Don’t get stuck and need the govt to rescue you. It’s one thing to already be out there before this all hit the fan but to go out knowingly with everything going on along with the advisories and current events are another matter. Honestly, we just need folks to sit tight for now. It’s the best for everyone. Sorry :(

Maybe May 30? I have to rebook.

I agree that it is going to be too soon. There’s an extremely high chance of getting stuck and not being able to come home, assuming there are still commercial flights even going out, let alone returning. Many US and international carriers are slashing all their international flights due to demand with very little notice and keeping only a few, quite literally. Given the situation now which I suspect will get worse plus the global alert to not travel at all, I don’t think it’s a good idea and I suspect PH will still be locked down then. It has bad written all over it. I expect even stricter border closures and restrictions going forward while keeping in mind your transit airports and requirements for quarantine, if even allowed in, upon arrival.

My guess is your LAX to ICN or ICN to MNL flight may be cancelled between now and then anyway if not already.

Don’t get stuck and need the govt to rescue you. It’s one thing to already be out there before this all hit the fan but to go out knowingly with everything going on along with the advisories and current events are another matter. Honestly, we just need folks to sit tight for now. It’s the best for everyone. Sorry :(

I have a trip to Bali booked from 25 July to 8 Aug, I VERY much doubt it'll even be over by then. Of course no one know but I think it'll be at least 6 mths :(

You might want to reconsider any travel right now.

SCREENSHOT.jpg

For me I have never really been keen on LOB due to not being able to keep in contact with my company when I am away.

However I do now see many LOB offering 50% as many people are not traveling. Some very scathing reviews coming out about operators in S.E.A. when people are banned from traveling to those countries or those countries themselves are in shutdown and no flights in and out. I've read reports that even so some areas for the LOB like Tubbataha are off limits no refunds were being offered for a trip that cannot go ahead anyway.

For my I may do a LOB but I am going to look at deals being offered... be in country first. if I like the deal I book directly with the operator not thru an agent. If I don't like what I read or see then land based diving is just as good for me. There are diving spots like Raja Ampat and Komodo and Tubbataha and Palau that will be struggling to get people on their boats even when travel resumes.

Now some people may think I am selfish but for LOB I will look for deals. If not I will continue to do my regular 10 weeks of diving per year with existing dive centers I already dive with for last several years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom