Covid-19 (coronavirus) Updates - Liveaboard Cancellation Policy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, here is the latest from Nautilus:

"In support and compliance with current Covid19 health measures, we have ceased boat operations until further notice. We will start running trips again as soon as it’s safe. For clients affected by the virus, we will be issuing two 50% credit vouchers for the amount paid per berth. For example, if you paid a deposit of $100 and the trip is cancelled because of the virus, we will issue 2 x credits for $50 each. Both vouchers cannot be combined to one berth, but one of the two vouchers can be transferable. Only one voucher can be applied per person per trip. You can apply the vouchers to 2 different trips, different destinations or bring a partner or dive buddy. The credit will expire 24 months from the time it was offered. As the situation is constantly changing, this is what we are offering at this time, and it may change for other guests in months to come.

Our policy towards medical health workers on the front line in this battle is unchanged. As we stated from the beginning, we are issuing 100% credits for affected health workers. This is very personal for us as some of our own spouses are anesthesiologists and medical staff.

If the closure goes on for many months, this is going to really stress our company financially. But we will borrow more capital and find a way through. We can’t wait to start diving again. We will be around for many years to come. Our strength is our crew and staff and they will get looked after no matter what. Everyone needs to be able to feed their family and pay their rent. We are doing our very best for everyone."

Personally, I think this is a great compromise. But hey, I don't have any skin in this game. How good it is, is up to you.

Mike's hoping to be back in business soon, but he's prepared for this to take a year. He wants to be able to keep his staff and their families eating, and I'm way OK with that. Like I posted before, Mike is a stand up guy. He's not going to make promises he can't keep. He's thinking things through methodically, so that he can continue to keep serving divers and taking them to awesome places safely.

Sounds better.

Oops, I left off the final paragraph of their revised policy. If you read it before I posted this, go back and reread. Sorry.

On face value, it is better, but putting all the conditions around using the credit is absurd when EVERY SINGLE OTHER LOB is doing 100% credit towards a future trip within X months. He is using the pandemic and the rules around the credit to try to force additional business. That shows his true self.

On face value, it is better, but putting all the conditions around using the credit is absurd when EVERY SINGLE OTHER LOB is doing 100% credit towards a future trip within X months. He is using the pandemic and the rules around the credit to try to force additional business. That shows his true self.

It isn't ideal, but it is something and a huge improvement from what it was before. In execution, you are still getting full value of what you paid, but how you can apply it is a bit more creative/restrictive, but at this point, WAY better than just a 40% credit. It is transferable, so if you know someone who wants to book, you can easily arrange it so that you can swap money for voucher if you really wanted to. Again, not ideal, but if this means that they can actually stay in business and continue to even honor rescheduling folks, then this is the lesser of 2 evils because the alternative is not being in operation any longer and everyone loses....and becomes 0% credit for guests.

It isn't ideal, but it is something and a huge improvement from what it was before. In execution, you are still getting full value of what you paid, but how you can apply it is a bit more creative/restrictive, but at this point, WAY better than just a 40% credit. It is transferable, so if you know someone who wants to book, you can easily arrange it so that you can swap money for voucher if you really wanted to. Again, not ideal, but if this means that they can actually stay in business and continue to even honor rescheduling folks, then this is the lesser of 2 evils because the alternative is not being in operation any longer and everyone loses....and becomes 0% credit for guests.

Yes, but the situation surrounding staying in business and continuing to honor rescheduling is the exact same as every other LOB. I see no reason he should be treated/considered differently in the public opinion. And lets be truthful, the only reason this concession was even made was because the Chairmen got involved which is appreciated.

I will be contacting them shortly to see how it all pans out.

Yes, but the situation surrounding staying in business and continuing to honor rescheduling is the exact same as every other LOB. I see no reason he should be treated/considered differently in the public opinion. And lets be truthful, the only reason this concession was even made was because the Chairmen got involved which is appreciated.

He isn't being treated differently; everyone wants 100% credit. He is essentially giving 100% credit...in a creative manner. I'm not saying that this is an ideal situation, just acknowledging that it is way better than before. I'm giving credit where it is due. It's progress and it is in the right direction. I am sure everyone would rather get 100% credit that can be applied to 1 berth all at once..That is something that can continue to evolve as time goes by, if possible.

Don't forget that at the end of the day, none of the boats are contractually obligated to do anything but they are. There has been an expectation because "this is what all the other boats are doing" and there is a lot of pressure by their own conscience and customers to "do the right thing" given the circumstances that have been beyond both parties' control, in many instances. Flexibility is needed here and it is being shown by the op and I would hope the same goes for a customer. Again, it's some semblance of 100% credit. If you balance your ideals (100% credit to 1 berth all at once) and their ideal (no refund, no reschedule), this is a good balance of both ideals.

If you need something to give you perspective, I am still dealing with a liveaboard through my agent/an agency that has refused to take a stance on a reschedule or credit even when the country where the liveaboard is has implemented a total ban for those coming from certain countries, the marine park they are supposed to sail is also closed and locked down, and there are basically no flights available to get in the country, among many other things. So far...0%. However, they are offering new customers booking the chance to reschedule up to 2 years from original date if the same things that now apply to us apply to them. It sucks. So, I say this because I can empathize and sympathize with customers of the Nautilius at this point, but I am still able to be fair on behalf of the operator even when I have a lot on the line myself.

So, they get our money now and a guarantee to get paid for another trip, since we only get 50% off for ea. of 2 next trips. Plus this is going to double the cost of airfare and transportation costs to get there. This seems like a good deal for Nautilus. I don't see their sacrifice in this. All of the other LOB's are offering 100% on future trips. I wish I could afford 2 more trips there, it looks like an awesome adventure. I will be offering my voucher to anyone that is wanting to book a future trip with them. I will be looking elsewhere on my next LOB trip. I don't know Mike, but I do know that his business practices and customer service doesn't speak very well for his integrity and doing what is right. I will be passing on my thoughts and opinion to the many divers I have contact with to spend their money some where else. I run a dive club with over 1400 members.

Nautilus is now at the top of the banned list. If he needs your money so badly, I suggest selling the private jet and not screwing possible return customers.

I'm not going to lie....I would be very upset as well if I were a Nautilus customer and I don't blame anyone that is. I am trying to look at this from afar. At this point, short of doing a 100% credit reschedule (ideal for the customer) and accepting what is possible now, what might help is if Nautilus offers to help or provides an avenue for affected customers to unload their second voucher via an exchange program or something with new customers. I'm not sure what that would look like logistically, though....

Back
Top Bottom