Despite the warnings people traveled to XYZ and are now stuck. Who is responsible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HK was doing quite well until about 2 wks ago, about 120 confirmed cases since 24th Jan, when we started to import the illness through our own people as they returning from holiday or study especially from Europe and N America. It is now stood 386 and rising.

umm, EVERYBODY (not “many” or “most”) got there “before all hell broke loose”. It surely was not the fault of any travelers who arrived even five minutes before the entry ban was proclaimed.
I am at CCV, arrived prior to any restrictions. We had a flight out on Delta on the 21st. Delta sent an email on the 17th saying it was canceled and to use your app to rebook. The app did not indicate the flight was canceled and when you tried to rebook it only offered the same..... canceled flight...... This went on all week with Delta telling us when it was time to check in, and when our (CANCELED) flight was boarding. By Wednesday we had already separately ooked a flight on Delta in the 28th, which they promptly canceled. Again, the app even today says it is still coming in as scheduled. American put some people on United flights. Delta has totally abandoned us. United has had a flight every day this week and two on Saturday. Their final flight is Monday. Dead heading down here United can't be making money. But the positive PR they will receive from the over 1000 people they are rescuing will hopefully do them some good.
As to CCV, Stacey, Danielle and the staff are going WAY above and beyond to ensure our short window of altered reality here is nothing short of paradise. THIS is why CCV has such a following. CCV and United rock.

No one involved here is guilty of anything other than the US air carriers. They’re the ones who haven’t arranged appropriate return flights for their stranded and ticketed passengers.

I am told this failure is about to be resolved. Hearing that one of two U.S.A. Carriers is being less than cooperative. I have no personal knowledge, so I’ll skip naming the company I heard referenced negatively. Time will tell.

The few people stuck at Coco View have been staying for free, and after the limitation on boat diving kicked in, they’ve been shore diving 3 and 4 times a day.

Not a bad place to go all Gilligans Island.

I almost don't want to ask because the answer is probably something simple and obvious but why is boat diving banned? I've seen this elsewhere and I'm still scratching my head.

I almost don't want to ask because the answer is probably something simple and obvious but why is boat diving banned? I've seen this elsewhere and I'm still scratching my head.
Because the only known method for blocking the spreading of infection is staying closed inside your home.
Here in Italy we cannot come out even for walking, we must STAY HOME. How can you boat dive while staying home?
Also here a situation like this was entirely unforeseeable one month ago, and now, instead, everyone is barricaded in his house, and the only reason you are allowed to exit is for medical assistance or for purchasing food, but in this case only going to the closest supermarket.
I suppose that in a couple of weeks all around the world the situation will be the same, and the earlier everything is closed, the less the virus will spread.

Because they had shut down all non-essential businesses. To non-divers, diving is considered non-essential.

Because they had shut down all non-essential businesses. To non-divers, diving is considered non-essential.
I like the "to non divers" qualifier. We were out for a morning dive Saturday on the green boat with Eddie and Jorge. Shortly after returning to the boat for our SI a call came on the radio recalling the fleet. We came in at about warp nine. We are kinda of laying back and only doing 2 shore dives a day.

I like the "to non divers" qualifier. We were out for a morning dive Saturday on the green boat with Eddie and Jorge. Shortly after returning to the boat for our SI a call came on the radio recalling the fleet. We came in at about warp nine. We are kinda of laying back and only doing 2 shore dives a day.
Were you in Roatan on the early dive when they shut down?

I missed the early dive boat. Then we got the message later in the day (1ish) that dive shops could be open. I was thankful because I was able to get in my 99th and 100th dive that afternoon. That was cool because my 100th dive left at 4pm. Lots of different things to see - lobster and crab coming out of their holes and big lionfish out in the open on top of the reef. I was almost expecting to see an octopus.

I got in two more dives the next day before the shop was closed down again.

Were you in Roatan on the early dive when they shut down?

I missed the early dive boat. Then we got the message later in the day (1ish) that dive shops could be open. I was thankful because I was able to get in my 99th and 100th dive that afternoon. That was cool because my 100th dive left at 4pm. Lots of different things to see - lobster and crab coming out of their holes and big lionfish out in the open on top of the reef. I was almost expecting to see an octopus.

I got in two more dives the next day before the shop was closed down again.
Congratulations on 100! We were, and are, at Coco View when the fleet was recalled. About our only "hardship" is having to do shore dives. We get more exercise this way..... We are truly fortunate to be marooned here at CCV

umm, EVERYBODY (not “many” or “most”) got there “before all hell broke loose”. It surely was not the fault of any travelers who arrived even five minutes before the entry ban was proclaimed.
I guess we all have opinions on the matter. It's not like the ban was a surprise. Government officials and news people were telling everyone not to travel for several weeks before the government took that last step.

I kind of wish I was trapped in Roatan... I guess that depends on you having an income that will continue while you're on vacation or a significant savings cushion.

Congratulations on 100! We were, and are, at Coco View when the fleet was recalled. About our only "hardship" is having to do shore dives. We get more exercise this way..... We are truly fortunate to be marooned here at CCV
Thanks. No shore diving in West End though :(

Back
Top Bottom