Suggestions for first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm 58 as well, and have the usual eye issues.

Unless money is a major consideration, Shearwater for (1) readability, (2) reliability and (3) Customer service. All of these are first rate, as the legions of fanboys here will tell you. Also, having an AA battery that you can throw in anywhere in the world is a major plus, unless you are getting a Teric...

@JPDenny

I went with a Cosmiq for my first computer. Bout it it for $320 a little over a year ago, has 67 dives on it. I have had exactly zero issues with the computer, it's easy to use, easy to read. It's a bit on the conservative side (most progressive setting is more conservative than my main buddy's conservative setting, for example), which you might consider a pro, con, or don't-care. Battery easily lasts for a whole day of diving for me (my biggest days are 5 single-tank dives), but you'll want to charge it daily or every other day on a vacation. Plugs into USB and charges in an hour or two, so I haven't found it to be an issue.

The smartphone app works great for configuring the computer. As a dive log however, DeepBlu's proprietary cloud-based log system it is a little short on features, and just generally clunky. It tries to combine dive log + social media + dive site reviews + ads + other stuff, and just doesn't really pull it off in my humble opinion. Luckily, SubSurface supports the Cosmiq now, so you can import your dives to SubSurface instead (or whatever other log software you prefer).

My next computer will be a Shearwater, either when my Cosmiq fails or I outgrow it, whatever happens first. Would I do it again, or recommend it to a new diver friend? I dunno -- Cosmiq's absolute best feature is its screen. It is always on, bright, and always easy to read.If you foresee yourself going down the DIR road, the Cosmiq also makes a solid simple bottom timer -- Achim from ISE has a video on YouTube reviewing it for that purpose.

If you don't care for this type of screen and prefer the Gameboy-style screen, take a good long look at the Deep6 Excursion. It is about the same cost, slightly better feature set, but (IMHO) a worse screen. I haven't used one of these, but you can find extensive reviews on this board. However I do own lots of other Deep6 stuff, and it is universally top-tier gear at a great price, so I'll evangelize for them any time :)

By the way, I do recommend replacing the Cosmiq wrist strap with a pair of bungees loops, each one tied in a double-fisherman's knot. This allows you some adjustability for different gloves or positions (wrist, back of hand, forearm, etc) without re-tying anything, since you can slide the knots around to change size. You also will have 2 independent (redundant) straps, and a nice place to clip off small bolt-snapped items (think a small light). Come to think of it, I would recommend that setup for any wrist-mounted computer, or compass, or whatever. Fiddling with the stupid wrist straps just bugs me, and they never seem to be both loose enough on the surface and tight enough at depth.

Best of luck,
- Brett

I’m in a similar situation as you. I’m 58 and getting back into diving. I definitely like an easy to read screen. I’ve been looking at the aqualung i450t because I want air integration. I see Leisure Pro has them for $435. I was considering dropping the money on the Teric, but that’s a big chunk of change for recreational diving. I live in Wisconsin and am also thinking about moving to Florida in a few years.

After posting this, I found out that Aqua Lung is coming out with the i470 next month. Pretty much a replacement to the i450 but with Bluetooth. Might be worth taking a look at, but not a lot of info out yet. You can connect with your smart phone and adjust all the settings that way through their app. And also connect to their diver log software. Also air integrated.

After posting this, I found out that Aqua Lung is coming out with the i470 next month. Pretty much a replacement to the i450 but with Bluetooth. Might be worth taking a look at, but not a lot of info out yet. You can connect with your smart phone and adjust all the settings that way through their app. And also connect to their diver log software. Also air integrated.

Before you buy the 470, try it in a store. All things aside, the user interface is really important. It’s really frustrating to have to remember intricate key sequences in order to change your EAN mix. Shearwater is easy - Oceanic and AL not so much.

My primary is a Perdix. I love the readability among other things. The color screen is far superior to my backup "cheap" computer. But I trust both and both download easily over Bluetooth.

I've been looking at the Cosmiq, but kind of wary, Deep 6, Mares Puck Pro, etc, it just seems like the info on uploading is scarce.

If you want a "hot" backup to a future Shearwater, it's pretty much a Deep 6. DGX's atmos could be an option though I personally would pick D6 as a company and their computer's price tag over atmos's features.

Mares Puck + d/l cable will be the cheapest (D6 has bluetooth if I'm not mistaken), but it won't be a good backup to a Buhlmann computer.

If you want a "hot" backup to a future Shearwater, it's pretty much a Deep 6. DGX's atmos could be an option though I personally would pick D6 as a company and their computer's price tag over atmos's features.

Mares Puck + d/l cable will be the cheapest (D6 has bluetooth if I'm not mistaken), but it won't be a good backup to a Buhlmann computer.
DGX does not sell the Atmos Mission One. It's on sale at Divers Supply and DRIS. For me, the extra features would be worth the $80-85 over the Excursion.

DGX does not sell the Atmos Mission One. It's on sale at Divers Supply and DRIS. For me, the extra features would be worth the $80-85 over the Excursion.

My bad, for some reason I thought they did.

If atmos is still around in a few years, I'd agree it's a better option, but for a new product with teething pains, having cerich and landonl in your corner may be the better option now. "Roughly equivalent safety factors" etc. notwithstanding.

Back
Top Bottom