Covid-19 and Cayman travel...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And now no snorkeling.... we are on 24/7 lockdown starting 7pm tonight and going at least to the weekend, but maybe longer if new virus cases arise. Not even allowed to go out for groceries. Probably good that we bite the bulllet now when there are only a few traceable cases. But now we have to train our dog to stand at the toilet to pee.
winston on beach.jpg

And now no snorkeling.... we are on 24/7 lockdown starting 7pm tonight and going at least to the weekend, but maybe longer if new virus cases arise. Not even allowed to go out for groceries. Probably good that we bite the bulllet now when there are only a few traceable cases. But now we have to train our dog to stand at the toilet to pee.
View attachment 576250
Where is that “hate” button when you need one :facepalm:

@mi000ke
Are you staying at a private condo or is this a rental? nice looking beach

We are fortunate to own a condo down here, so being stranded is not really a hardship. We were planning to stay until end of April anyway. Just wish we could dive. I am thinking about sneaking in a quick dip after sunset, but need to time the police dune buggies that are patrolling the beach to pull off the caper and avoid doing time in the nick.

Moved my March trip to August. Hopefully by then we will have a COVID-19 free world and no hurricanes!

The presser at the White House yesterday did touch on a possible inclusion into the travel ban for the UK. I don't know how that would affect GC. Please remember, media stories aside regarding US citizens paying up to 20 K in Paris for tickets home to beat the ban, that US citizens are allowed back to the US after such a travel ban is in place, but they must be screened upon reentry. You should be able to get home, but you may have to self-quarantine. Hopefully, there will be planes available to take you home. Swimming that far would suck.

Some of us have received notifications that the ACs are being fumigated on a regular basis. Where I work, the smell of diluted chlorine is rampant.

I know uncfnp is a NP in an Urgent Care. I don't know how a "self-quarantine" would work in such a situation. She would probably be in contact with Wuhan Corona anyways if the bug goes "viral" here.

All that most of us have to offer is speculation!

I am jobless for at least 3 weeks because of COVID-19.

I will travel; grass will not grow under my shoes. For sixty years people have given me reasons why I should not do things and go places. I have ignored them and done things. Their fears have proven to be overblown. I have always been cautious and prepared though.

I say, just go damnit!

Kentucky, Georgia, Alabama, and Florida here we come!

cheers,
m

Come on. Give us a break. It is not about grass under your feet—it is about the virus in our lungs. We are struggling with COVID-19 in Fla and trying to stop the visitors who are potentially bringing it here. Follow the CDC guidelines and stay home. Dive shops are closed, anyway.

We are fortunate to own a condo down here, so being stranded is not really a hardship. We were planning to stay until end of April anyway. Just wish we could dive. I am thinking about sneaking in a quick dip after sunset, but need to time the police dune buggies that are patrolling the beach to pull off the caper and avoid doing time in the nick.

The Cayman Compass today says the island may stay shut down for many months. You may become a permanent resident. Not a bad place to weather this storm however. It's looking like my vacation in July probably won't happen but I hold out hope. Won't cancel my reservations just yet.

The Cayman Compass today says the island may stay shut down for many months. You may become a permanent resident. Not a bad place to weather this storm however. It's looking like my vacation in July probably won't happen but I hold out hope. Won't cancel my reservations just yet.

I'm holding out hope for you as well, as it means we might get off the island by then. Yeah, GC is a pretty good place to be stranded - we have a nice snorkeling reef about 150 yards off our beach which we visit most days. But we can no longer dive (all boating is now illegal, and with dive shops closed as non-essential businesses there are no tank rentals for shore dives), we're technically limited to 90 minutes of "off-premises" time per day - and zero from 7 pm to 5 am. And it's starting to get a bit steamy here and nice weather back home, so most our reasons for coming down don't apply much now.

We watch the daily 2 hour government briefing done by the premier (like a prime minister) , the governor (the chief honcho), the commissioner of health services, and the chief medical officer (which is a fount of candid truth compared the daily clown show back home) and they are pretty adamant that given how well their hardcore response to the virus is working, they are in no mood to open the borders, especially given how things are going in the US - the main source of tourism for the island. So it could easily be 2 -3 months more.

So we continue to have a drink or two each evening while watching the sun set over our beach, trying to endure this living hell :wink:. And if we're still here in July, stop by and toast the sunset with us!

sbm sunset 3_24_2020 1_InPixio.jpg

I'm holding out hope for you as well, as it means we might get off the island by then. Yeah, GC is a pretty good place to be stranded - we have a nice snorkeling reef about 150 yards off our beach which we visit most days. But we can no longer dive (all boating is now illegal, and with dive shops closed as non-essential businesses there are no tank rentals for shore dives), we're technically limited to 90 minutes of "off-premises" time per day - and zero from 7 pm to 5 am. And it's starting to get a bit steamy here and nice weather back home, so most our reasons for coming down don't apply much now.

We watch the daily 2 hour government briefing done by the premier (like a prime minister) , the governor (the chief honcho), the commissioner of health services, and the chief medical officer (which is a fount of candid truth compared the daily clown show back home) and they are pretty adamant that given how well their hardcore response to the virus is working, they are in no mood to open the borders, especially given how things are going in the US - the main source of tourism for the island. So it could easily be 2 -3 months more.

So we continue to have a drink or two each evening while watching the sun set over our beach, trying to endure this living hell :wink:. And if we're still here in July, stop by and toast the sunset with us!

View attachment 577693

I could definitely think of worse places to be. I saw the restriction to 90 minutes of outdoor activity and wondered if snorkeling at Smith cove or Freediving would be included in that. If we don't get to come in July I will push it back to Thanksgiving or Christmas. Hoping the dive operators can survive the shutdown and come out of this OK.

Take Care

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom