Review: Mako Yamamoto Two Piece Open Cell Wetsuits (3mm and 5mm) MAKO Spearguns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Dano!

That boat was full of friends all with a cutting sense of humor :wink: The “fight” was Eric assisting me on a bumpy boat racing back to the marina. We are typically among the last back on board so we are always underway when we remove our suits. We have the same challenge with standard wet suits but then its getting it off the legs without getting knocked off the bench.

As far as donning and doffing. Putting on your suits is actually a pleasure. Once lubbed they slide on like butter. Doffing the 3 ml top I easily do myself, even with my shoulder issues. Its only the 5 ml that I need assistance.

As you know, I love the feel and fit of your suits but I have found that I also really like the 2 pc design.

Thanks for the feedback. Sometimes I think it sounds like marketing hype when we say a jacket with no zipper is easy to put on! Hopefully it helps when actual customers confirm that some suit lube and smooth rubber interior makes getting these suits on very easy.

I’m curious about the 5 mm. What water temps did you use that for, and did you have the pants cut at the waist? I’m thinking of getting a suit for quarries in the summer with bottom temperature of around 60.
I used the 5mm in the 60s and was plenty warm

I’m thinking of getting a suit for quarries in the summer with bottom temperature of around 60.

Out here we consider 60° F water temperatures "toasty" during the winter. I've hit temps as low as 46° F at reasonable shallow depths (~70 fsw). Yamamoto-based wetsuits have long been known to be excellent choices!

I just want to be able to someday dive California for kelp and pinnipeds. Don’t need to go deep.

I just want to be able to someday dive California for kelp and pinnipeds. Don’t need to go deep.

We have been preparing for our first dive trip to California. We plan on diving with the seals, checking out the kelp forests and meeting up with ScubaBoard members in Monterey. Then COVID-19 appeared...:eek:

We have been preparing for our first dive trip to California. We plan on diving with the seals, checking out the kelp forests and meeting up with ScubaBoard members in Monterey. Then COVID-19 appeared...:eek:
Eric, just stumbled on this thread- Just curious about buoyancy characteristics between the Yamamoto and a similar thickness closed cell neoprene wetsuit?

Eric, just stumbled on this thread- Just curious about buoyancy characteristics between the Yamamoto and a similar thickness closed cell neoprene wetsuit?

The Mako suits may be slightly more buoyant. My previous main suit was a Waterproof W3 3.5mm, but it was super compressed from too many deep dives, so it’s difficult to compare. However, I am carrying an extra pound or two with the Mako. When we returned from Bonaire I was cleaning the Mako suits in the bathtub and noticed they float! With our old closed cell suits the inner lining would become saturated and the suits would become heavy and sink.

Yamamoto suits, in my experience, tend to have less buoyancy shift with depth because it is a denser and more robust material. They also seem to stay closer to their original thickness for longer. I don't mean on a single dive to depth, but over multiple dives. Take one of the super stretch 5mm scuba suits on 50 dives and it'll be a 3mm, even on the surface. The yamamoto rubber can take many more compression/decompression cycles.

Also, it is still a closed cell material, it is just the inside layer that is open cell. Imagine a sheet of 6mm thick closed cell neoprene split down the middle to make two 3mm sheets. The "open cell" part is just the uncoated inner material.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom