So What Is Everyone Doing To Pass Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can't mean real (snail mail) letters....even I stopped doing that except for rare reasons.

Yep, on nice Crane cotton ecruwhite (ivory) paper. Crane is the company that makes the paper for US paper money.

I forgot how truly brilliant (and right ) George Carlin was...made me laugh out loud

Letters are good. I love doing that. Have some people who write back!

I’ll have a lot more time on my hands. Just got laid off due to virus situation. Permanent, not temporary. No severance. 13.5 years at the same company.

I'm sorry for you, and where you worked. Here in Germany, if you got terminated, and not for cause, the courts will usually order a termination bonus of 1 months wages for each year of employment.
Hope you'll make out OK.

Michael

I am doing all the weird maintenance stuff I should have done but always find a reason to avoid. Starting a spreadsheet to keep track of my (stupid) amount of regs and tanks and their service intervals. Steramine'd the hell out of my drysuit inside and out.

Last night I took a look at a Deep6 first stage that had a small annoying leak I couldn't place, so I did a full overhaul because why not. Was probably a squished o-ring but now its o2 clean and fully serviced.

I even changed the blades on my trilobite. Next I might open up all the dive lights (again a stupid number) and lube up all the o-rings. I will have to hide all the regs for now, otherwise I will end up with all of them serviced at the same time, which is not a good idea.

Sigh.

I'm sorry for you, and where you worked. Here in Germany, if you got terminated, and not for cause, the courts will usually order a termination bonus of 1 months wages for each year of employment.
Hope you'll make out OK.

Michael

In the US, termination pretty much equals being fired for cause. This is a lay off/reduction in force, which has nothing to do with employee performance. Or being made "redundant" as the Brits call it.

SORRY

This post was meant for another thread and for some reason I posted it in here.

As usual you have already gotten some good advice from both sides of the thought process so I only post this to add my experience (thus far).

Saniflush 2.1 is about to be 12 and she is certifying over the next couple of months.
Saniflush 2.2 is about to be 10 and probably will not certify until next year.

Both have been in and around scuba for the past four years and in pools with the gear so there is already a comfort level there.

Saniflush 2.1 would absolutely have NOT been ready to certify at 10. Her head was all over the place but over the last 6 months she has become more focused about everything from household chores to school so I think she is ready.
Saniflush 2.2 is my detail orientated child and truth be told he probably certify with relative ease as soon as he turns 10 but because of when his birthday is we will probably wait until next Spring so we can have a full warm season for him to dive with us in and work on the basics he will learn in OW.

The elongated point that I am trying to make is that one size will not fit all on when to certify kids and just use your best judgement to decide. I would add this note though, get him a mask, fins, and snorkel. Snorkeling will give him a taste of diving and begin to develop some amount of skill set and solidify his comfort level in the water.

25 March 2020,

I started out in the forest preserve behind my house pushing back the jungle. We have an infestation of several invasive species. They are clogging our HOA forest preserve. I whacked-back this jungle. It is a tangled mess of deadfall and brush.

My wife and I went for a bike ride on the Little Miami River Rail Trail. It was gorgeous.

I went to Home Depot and bought supplies for our yard and the jungle eradication project.

As I was driving home, I witnessed a 13 year old girl break her leg in my neighborhood. It was a complete break while not compound; it was broken at an oblique angle.

I drove up to her and helped as best I could and called 911. The fire department responded and the firemen were great. The girl's leg just seemed to give way while she was riding a skate board. The break was not the result of a fall or wreck. It just seemed to give way. We found the girls phone; she called her dad. He arrived less than five minutes later. She was a real trooper. She was calm and not crying.

My wife and I did some more yard work and enjoyed the beautiful evening. We spoke with many of our nieghbors from accross the street or over the fence line.

It was beautiful day (except for the girl's broken leg)!

cheers,
m

Since we're all pretty much on house arrest here in North Texas, aside from working from home, I figure I may as well do something productive and get my AI online course material out of the way. SDI has a pretty sweet deal going on right now so instead of paying $400 for it, it's costing me $105. Can't beat that with a really big stick!

Oh and quarantine means more time for music production!

When starting to show withdrawal symptoms
E1BDCD74-5073-4EF9-B44F-827B3E7A85AE.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom