PADI Scuba Diving Magazine Really Insults Its Readers' Intelligence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My $50 Timex is accurate to within 1 second a month and waterproof to 100m. It is over 20 years old and still working though I’ve had to replace the strap and battery every few years.

Caveat - I’ve only had it down to 20m

I was not paid for this endorsement, though I wouldn’t complain if Timex sent me a new watch or two. It’s looking pretty beat up. :D

Takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Glad others felt this was a lame “guide” too. My wife got me the subscription for the holiday but I won’t be renewing it.

Don't forget the T-paper, just as important.
Glad others felt this was a lame “guide” too. My wife got me the subscription for the holiday but I won’t be renewing it.
Where some might see two unrelated problems, I see a problem and a solution. You're welcome.

There was an issue recently that featured diving in Komodo and when you went to read it, it was basically an article selling a luxury/expensive liveaboard (read: extremely overpriced for Komodo given distance to LBJ, not remote, and supply). I can’t remember which boat it was - maybe Arenui? I know people that have been on it and rave about it but the context and poor disguise was laughable. There was hardly any discussion about the actual dive sites or diving, and mostly on the accommodations, service, food, staff, comfort, etc.

That was exactly the boat they were listing and I know this because I was sitting on the sofa thumbing through the magazine one night when Mrs Flush saw that advertisement and made me look it up online. Then came the next 20 minutes of discussion not of why she and I would not go on it, but why I would not spend 14k to take the kids on with us if we ever decided to go. My kids get Blackbeards if anything.

That was exactly the boat they were listing and I know this because I was sitting on the sofa thumbing through the magazine one night when Mrs Flush saw that advertisement and made me look it up online. Then came the next 20 minutes of discussion not of why she and I would not go on it, but why I would not spend 14k to take the kids on with us if we ever decided to go. My kids get Blackbeards if anything.

Thank you for confirming! The crazy thing is, it wasn't an advertisement, it was an article on diving in Komodo....but we may as well call it an advertisement for the boat.

Plop the kids on a budget boat and tell them we'll see you in 7 days, or maybe we might see each other at a dive site...Have fun! :D

Thank you for confirming! The crazy thing is, it wasn't an advertisement, it was an article on diving in Komodo....but we may as well call it an advertisement for the boat.

Plop the kids on a budget boat and tell them we'll see you in 7 days, or maybe we might see each other at a dive site...Have fun! :D

Oh yea you are exactly right. It had almost nothing to do with the actual diving as I recall and everything to do with there being two masseuses on board. Mrs Flush loves diving but I would be lying if I said the ratio of divers to massage therapists was not on her mind when we were discussing!

So, are you paying for the magazine? No? Then throw it away and chill. Life is full of advertisements. Please don't look at Facebook, or read a newspaper, or watch TV, or go to the movies, or attend a sporting event.....

Come on now tursiops, if the OP did not want paid advertisement, why would he use "Facebook, or read a newspaper, or watch TV, or go to the movies" for the PAID Political commentary. Other then FB for Business (Sadly) I have shut down all the rest.

:)

Come on now tursiops, if the OP did not want paid advertisement, why would he use "Facebook, or read a newspaper, or watch TV, or go to the movies" for the PAID Political commentary. Other then FB for Business (Sadly) I have shut down all the rest.

:)
LOL. Thanks for misunderstanding my post.

LOL. Thanks for misunderstanding my post.
ROFL Sorry mate, I understood the point. I just could not resist. I wanted to added go outside and play, but as divers, we all do that already. :)

Back
Top Bottom