So What Is Everyone Doing To Pass Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For all of you who are working from home: from where do you get the energy to do extra stuff? My days are packed full with video meetings, and if I'm not in one of those, I have more than enough to fill my time with since I've been working independently for a sizable amount of my time already. What I lose by being at home is more than made up by the fact that at least for me, video meetings are so much more intense than IRL meetings that the time I lose between those can't be used for much more than slouching. And then there's the time used to find out how to use all those previously unnecessary tools efficiently.

Add the fact that the work computer is too easily available, and I may actually be putting more hours in right now than I normally did before this manure hit the rotating ventilation device.

Add the fact that the work computer is too easily available, and I may actually be putting more hours in right now than I normally did before this manure hit the rotating ventilation device.

Yeah but being logged in does not equal being productive. At home there's always dishes to wash and dust to wipe in between those zoom meetings. In the office I had to do something work-useful instead.

Technology so far has sort of kept the world from global economic collapse, and many can work from home by computer. At some point the brick & mortar places that actually produce the stuff we can order online must re-open, as supplies already made empty out. BUT, PLEASE no U.S. back to work by EASTER! Enough said on that....

being logged in does not equal being productive.
I don't know about you, but I'm always logged in. Whether I'm interacting or working independently. What I was talking about is the difference between direct interaction via videolink (which, for me at least, is more intense than IRL meetings) and interacting IRL. Quite comparable to telephone meetings vs IRL meetings. Takes quite a bit more effort to get it to function.

At some point the brick & mortar places that actually produce the stuff
Yep. Many of us can do a lot of our stuff online. Some, like supply lines or health services can't. Those folks deserve a lot more than what we've been willing to pay them so far.

It's quite interesting that those folks we just can't live without (e.g. healthcare workers, grocery store employees, cleaners) on average are in the lower-paid bracket. While those we can do quite well without for quite some time (like, e.g. stock brokers) make significantly above average.

6BE46DF1-A454-48E1-B048-8D0DFBA0C00F_jpe-1332872(1).jpeg

I don't know about you, but I'm always logged in. Whether I'm interacting or working independently. What I was talking about is the difference between direct interaction via videolink (which, for me at least, is more intense than IRL meetings) and interacting IRL.

Presumably because most non-verbal cues are missing. I wonder if those on the spectrum are having easier time since they (we) weren't so good at cues to begin with.

Presumably because most non-verbal cues are missing.
Which?

In a video meeting, I have both verbal and visual interaction. Im getting both what they're saying and their body language. What other non-verbal signals are we sending? I believe that the clue is in those small pauses (look away, take a sip of that coffee mug, go to refill your water glass, zone out for a short time) that we don't get in a virtual environment.

Me, I have taken the opportunity to service all my gear whose maintenance has been lacking the last couple of years. After four weeks I am down to a dozen regs to clean and rebuild. I hydro test 40 cyls in Jan and Feb. Yea, I have a lot of gear.. Wife, me ... all technical. I am fortunate in that I am able to do all my work as I could never afford it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom