NHL Strike

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The two corporations, the team and venue, are separate. This is what allows the owner to cry poverty. Of course, the fact that the owner owns both Corporations is not really mentioned much.

yep, funny how this VERY important fact is seldom mentioned.

Here in Houston our little, but pretty good Aeros went from IHL to AHL couple of years ago.... if you wanted penalty box seats, you were already paying $75; but you could get nosebleed section for $20.... so not too bad a deal.

As fans, we should be offended. We are losing in the lockout, because we are the customers. The customer has gotten lost in the scramble for the money. Why are pro sports in a decline? Do we really need to wonder?

Unfortunately, that is what ALWAYS happens to the customer these days - Even worse, the term customer also includes children. So again, one less thing that parents & kids can do together.

I like to see team loyalty as much as the next guy, but I also believe that a cap is the answer. This is especially true in a sport where most of the pro leagues started in Canada and the Canadians can no longer afford to support their teams due to the "bidding up" of free agents by teams that will pay anything for another chance at the cup (In baseball, see George Steinbrenner as well.). And the players will take what they can get as well. They are businessmen and some are as sharp at it as the owners.

I remember a rough quote from an NFL quarterback who got a huge contract. They asked him if he was worth the millions in his contract. He said that he wasn't, but his dad was because his dad was a teacher. But, he added that his dad didn't raise a fool. He was more than willing to take what was offered to him.

Wayne Gretzy and Mario Lemieux are team owners as well. They seem to side with the cap idea. Heck, Mario still plays on his team once in a while (I wonder who pays his salary, LOL).

I didn't see the Red Wings owner in the poor house and it is kind of nice to see some money invested in the baseball team instead of treating them like the "red-headed stepchild". That said, I want to see NHL level hockey again. I have watched some OHL games (Saginaw has an OHL team now and they don't play bad hockey although they continually seem to ride at the bottom of the OHL.) and AHL and keep thinking that in the NHL, many of these plays would result in breakaways instead of fights or missed shots.

Unfortunately, it may be a couple of years. Many of the players knew that this was coming and had the foresight to not collect the huge mortgages and car payments. They could actually live on the interest of what they have put away already or the investments that they have made like restraunts and clothing outlets. The owners have watched baseball and have no interest in getting into bidding wars for free agents in a mature market.

I'm happy again. I just watched two junior hockey exhibition games. Awesome hockey!!! Tourney starts on X-mas day.:flag: I hope the attendance for all games is maxed and the NHL realizes what the fans mean to the game.
Go Canada Go. :jump013:
JK

Kennedydive:
I hope the attendance for all games is maxed and the NHL realizes what the fans mean to the game.

I think it's going to happen. I remember hearing on TSN about some exhibition game between some place like Belarus and Finland and it still managed to get 6000 people out.....that's exhibition!!!

There's still great hockey available. I just wish they'd show us entire games from that hockey from Sweden.

Elevatorguy2:
Me thinks the season has about 100 psi left with a free flow.
Any ponys out there,or are we finished.

We were finished before it started. Next year also.

detroit diver:
We were finished before it started. Next year also.
Everyone says next year like if it doesn't happen this year, it will next year. The owners may be in a position of absolutely having to get a salary cap or shutting down, and the players union has said they would never accept one. I think the possibility that the NHL is gone forever should be considered.

really could care less about the sport .... if the players wanted to make more money then try the World Wrestling Federation ... at least there they put on a good show

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom