SeaQuest Airsource

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThePipingSheriff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A few months back I purchased a BC. I got a Seaquest Pro QD. I was making out my Christmas list and thought I'd like to add the Airsource to it. I like the idea of the power inflator and back-up secondary breathing device being together.

My question is what is this "secondary breathing device" rated at? At what depth would you say would be max for this thing as far as counting on it to work for breathing? I know that your SAC rate will have a lot to do with it, but what do you think? Is this thing pretty reliable?

In the LP catalog I have the item is listed as a "back-up secondary" breathing device. Could any of you see an instance where this would be your "primary" secondary breathing device?

I had someone tell me that when they "tech" dive they try and take as little down with them as possible. They use this thing as their octopus so as to try and limit extra hoses and such. Is this a good idea or should one always dive with an octopus even if they had this type of device on their BC?

I'll just sit back and see what you folks have to say. I'm a grown man, but please be kind. This is my first post. I'm so new I don't even have an opinion :)

I am not familiar with the specific piece of equipment you are asking about. However, from your description, it sounds a lot like an Air2 type of device.

You will find much discussion on the Air2 devices on this board. Some like them and a lot don't.

My oppinion of them is that they are an expensive cure to a problem that doesn't exist.

I always dive with an Octo on a bungie around my neck and cannot imagine diving without an Octo.

I have been diving with a Tusa DuoAir for about 9 years and a Scubapro Air2 for about a year, and I like both of them (they are almost identical). They are tuned to breathe a little harder than a primary reg to limit free flows, but they should breathe OK if they are properly tuned and you find yourself needing to use them. Important...if your buddy runs out of air, then you have to donate your PRIMARY 2nd stage to him/her because the inflator hose attached to your Airsource won't be long enough to hand off. Then you will be breathing from your Airsource while maintaining contact with your buddy during your safe, controlled ascent. You need to practice with whatever equipment configuration you have, or it will do you little good if you ever need it. You also have to consider that when using a short primary regulator hose and a short inflator hose, you and your buddy are going to be very closely "tied together" during your ascent. This is not an easy thing to do when one (or more) divers are anxious or panicked in an out of air emergency. It's easy to lose control of your ascent in the best of circumstances and two divers bumping each other on the way up is not always an easy ride. You can breathe from your Airsource (if it's like all other similar products on the market) and use the deflator button at the same time to help control your ascent, but it takes practice.

For recreational diving only...I like the idea of not having an extra octo and hose, which makes me more streamlined. Also, since you use the inflator/deflator on every dive, your Airsource will get some amount of regular use, which will help to keep it functioning over time. I often wonder how long most people go before they even think to test their octos on the surface and at depth. Sometimes they end up just hanging around, picking up sand, silt and debris, without ever being used. As with any alternate sources of air, you need to practice regularly using all sources available to you, both on the surface and at depth to make sure they are functioning properly. Another benefit is your Airsource is easy and fast to locate since you use your inflator/deflator on every dive. Don't forget, the Airsource should be serviced annually just like any other 2nd stage regulator. The price may be offset by not having to have a separate octo serviced though.

If I were in to technical diving, then I would definitely use a bungied octo in the manner Quarrior described above. I would also follow many of the other equipment configurations that are recommended for technical diving.

When I teach scuba courses, I always use the traditional octo and other traditional equipment configurations so my students can learn how we do it by the book traditionally. This also helps because it shows students what they will see more of when they dive with other people. I introduce them to other configurations such as the Air2 and I give demonstrations, etc., but remind them that those decisions will be up to them after they are certified.

It all boils down to personal preference, just like most anything else. You have to chose what best fits your needs, comfort level, diving environment, diving interests, etc. No matter what you chose, there are always compromises that have to be made, i.e., comfort vs. safety, needed gear vs. streamlining, multitasking underwater vs. air supply, speargun vs. camera, freedom of movement vs. warmth, etc.

Most importantly, remember...practice, practice, practice with whatever you chose.

Just my opinions...hope this helps some.

A few months back I purchased a BC. I got a Seaquest Pro QD. I was making out my Christmas list and thought I'd like to add the Airsource to it. I like the idea of the power inflator and back-up secondary breathing device being together.
:soapbox:
If you actually try to use the AirSource or another integrated inflator/octo's, you probably won't like it for long. Imagine trying to control a panicky diver who is breathing your primary and you have to take him to the surface. As you hold him and your primary in his mouth, you need to use your other hand to remove your alternate from your mouth so that you can vent gas from your BC...the simplicity that draws people to the integrated devices makes them complex to use - and requires a substantial amount of practice to be effective.

My question is what is this "secondary breathing device" rated at? At what depth would you say would be max for this thing as far as counting on it to work for breathing? I know that your SAC rate will have a lot to do with it, but what do you think? Is this thing pretty reliable?

Rated? Define the term. They will work to any recreational depth. Below that, do you care?

In the LP catalog I have the item is listed as a "back-up secondary" breathing device. Could any of you see an instance where this would be your "primary" secondary breathing device?

To answer your question, no, I can't see the AirSource (or any other integrated inflator/octo ever being my alternate regulator. Learn from the mistakes of others (my Air2 has a prominent place on my Wall of Shame :evilsmile ) and take a pass on these things. If you must have one, I think the idea of using it as a back-up secondary device is a good one - before you buy one you need to invest in a suitable secondary device.

I had someone tell me that when they "tech" dive they try and take as little down with them as possible. They use this thing as their octopus so as to try and limit extra hoses and such. Is this a good idea or should one always dive with an octopus even if they had this type of device on their BC?

You won't find many technical divers using integrated inflator/octos. Yes, one should always dive with an octopus. Technical divers, almost without exception, dive with an octopus bungeed around their throat.
I'll just sit back and see what you folks have to say. I'm a grown man, but please be kind. This is my first post. I'm so new I don't even have an opinion :)

Learning is. You've asked some questions that are relevant so there's no need to feel bad. Welcome to the board! If you want to learn even more, try to master the search functions and hunt around for information on the AirSource, Air2 and other similar doo-dads.

ThePipingSheriff:
I like the idea of the power inflator and back-up secondary breathing device being together.

I had someone tell me that when they "tech" dive they try and take as little down with them as possible.

Ed, et al,

This is one of those "it seemed like a good idea at the time" ideas. While some people swear by them, most people swear at them.

As another writer pointed out, if you are helping someone else out, then things get complicated. (e.g. hand off primary, hold onto other diver with right hand, trade Airsource/Air2/etc. back and forth between self and dump position) Not that it can't be done, but why bother?

I "tech dive" with a rebreather. It comes stock with one of those gadgets. Since I teach the unit, I cannot recommend removing it. A friend of mine named "Cale" says that the first thing that everyone does is rip that sucker off there!

Cheers! :eyebrow:

Rated? Define the term. They will work to any recreational depth. Below that, do you care?

I guess what I was wondering is what is it comparable to? An SP R380 or an R190?
Maybe I'm making this more complicated than it needs to be? I'm assuming that my octo should be at least as good as my primary. If this thing is going to "bac-up" my octo I just wanted to know what kind of octo I could compare it to. Am I making sense?
As long as it works at any recreational depth then I'm fine. Below that depth I can't say that I care, but I am curious.

Thanks for all the replies.

ThePipingSheriff:
As long as it works at any recreational depth then I'm fine. Below that depth I can't say that I care, but I am curious.

Ed,

A lot of people tend to choose a cheaper second stage to use as an octo. I use the same second stage for an octo that I use as a primary. I know it is as good as my primary, and it's only one set of parts numbers for repair and rebuild.

Cheers!

Rob

My point wasn't that your comparison questions wasn't a good one, just that you need to be prepared for the scope of the question. Are you interested in comparing Work of Breathing? Cracking pressure? Mechanical reliability? Maintenance costs? Service availability?

Search and ye' shall find the answers but first you need to learn the questions. In the meantime, it might be adequate to consider the simplified advice represented here: integrated inflator/octo combinations were a seemingly good idea that just didn't work out and you should avoid them. One thing for sure, you don't see any of the manufacturers touting their integrated devices as their best performing regulators...

BigJetDriver69:
A lot of people tend to choose a cheaper second stage to use as an octo. I use the same second stage for an octo that I use as a primary. I know it is as good as my primary, and it's only one set of parts numbers for repair and rebuild.
That was part of my line of thinking, I'm glad I'm not the only one. The only difference between my primary and octo is that some of the parts on my octo are yellow, where the primary is basic black.

I also wanted my octo to have the same good performance (WOB and all) as my other reg. I know some like the Atomic SS1 are actually good breathers and others are not. The problem I've found is that most of the Air2s/Airsources (inflator+octo) or even the low profile octos (my LDS has the AP ABS) don't have venturi switches or any other way to adjust for free flow, and I just don't want an octo that needs to be permanently detuned.

Another drawback of air2 (besides the fact that they breath so poorly - at a time when you want something to breath great) is that it's controlling your bouyancy when the air2 is in your mouth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom