The New Dive Rite Optima CM - My 30 Hour Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That actually looks kind of cool. I'm imagining my back mount double 120s, with the isolator manifold closed. Dil on one side and deco gas on the other. And then a CM CCR clipped to my front. Hmmm....

That actually looks kind of cool. I'm imagining my back mount double 120s, with the isolator manifold closed. Dil on one side and deco gas on the other. And then a CM CCR clipped to my front. Hmmm....
Maybe not do that with an isolator. Seems like a nice way to get yourself killed.

Why would you have an isolator here? It serves no purpose and is doing exactly the opposite of intended. Plug the valves so they are independent

Why would you have an isolator here? It serves no purpose and is doing exactly the opposite of intended. Plug the valves so they are independent

Only because that’s what I have already. It was just idle fantasizing.

Only because that’s what I have already. It was just idle fantasizing.

Besides, the back mount is supposed to be your bail out gas. Easy carrying of lots of bail out. Use LP 50s for your dil and deco.

it’s like diving normal backmount, but never having to get your doubles filled! Interesting.

It’s certainly compact and as thoughtfully designed a chest mounted CCR as there is.

Are there any pics of someone diving it?

It looks like the CLs might actually sit in nearly the same place as OTS CLs. But having the scrubber down around your waist can’t be helpful for the hydrostatic load.

And don’t cave divers hate “chest clutter”?

Is the appeal of the unit really it’s adaptability to your existing OC harness and rigging? How many people dive CCR in the morning and OC in the afternoon? I never have, 2 different skill sets and I don’t like to mix them up.

Is the real appeal of this unit primarily as staged CCR bail out, or as a chest mounted BOB with a BMCL as the primary CCR?

It’s certainly compact and as thoughtfully designed a chest mounted CCR as there is.

Are there any pics of someone diving it?

It looks like the CLs might actually sit in nearly the same place as OTS CLs. But having the scrubber down around your waist can’t be helpful for the hydrostatic load.

And don’t cave divers hate “chest clutter”?

Is the appeal of the unit really it’s adaptability to your existing OC harness and rigging? How many people dive CCR in the morning and OC in the afternoon? I never have, 2 different skill sets and I don’t like to mix them up.

Is the real appeal of this unit primarily as staged CCR bail out, or as a chest mounted BOB with a BMCL as the primary CCR?

No, that's not the appeal. Lol
And it breathes better than any unit I've ever dove.

No, that's not the appeal. Lol
And it breathes better than any unit I've ever dove.

WOB needs to be measured in all positions and compared to other units, an empirical judgement is not much use unless some says it breathes badly. We all have different experiences and reference points for WOB. Some people use scooters frequently and never swim hard into current for extended periods of time. Some of us never use scooters.

Regarding the appeal, I was trying to sum up the description I read on the Dive Rite site.

So, what in your opinion is the appeal of the unit?

What are it’s advantages over other units?

I'm certified on nearly every popular unit. I've dove in nearly every current unit on the market. Except for swimming upside down, this breathes better than all of them in any position.

FYI, I scooter in high flow a few times per week. But don't take my word for it, try diving one.

The appeal? It's a full eccr unit that weighs 31lbs, flies commercially like a breeze, can be carried one handed by even weak people, fully rigged. It breathes like a dream, tested down to 450+'. But the greatest thing.... It can be "supermanned" through a restriction. All that, backed by DiveRite's stellar customer service with a price tag under $6k

Nope, the scrubber is a rigid volume, it has zero impact on hydrostatic loading

Back
Top Bottom