Why is PADI sidemount specialty so much more $$$?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've seen a fair number of very poor sidemount divers. I did my sidemount class with Steve Lewis in a drysuit in cold water. Got about 100 dives in over the next two years in 5 different rigs with aluminums and steels while teaching classes in backmount. Then I did my AN/DP/Adv Wreck Instructor class in Sidemount again with Steve. Got 50 more dives or so in, then became an SDI sidemount instructor.
I pretty much use sidemount for everything including OW checkouts. My homebuilt deco sidemount rig and a pair of LP 50's is sweet for that.
One of the things I see is instructors doing a weekend workshop, in one rig, with one style of cylinders and then given a card to teach it. Even though they never dive it outside the class.
My sidemount class is 375.00. That includes 2 pool sessions (or more if needed) and 4-5 dives.
I had a student over the weekend (a non SDI instructor) who has taken other classes with me. She didn't get her card. She needs more work because she showed up in a much thicker wetsuit than she used in the pool and struggled with some of the bottle skills. She's coming back to the pool next week and bringing that suit to work on the bottle skills and polish a few others. If she demonstrates proficiency she'll get the card. If not, we'll work until she does.
I don't know what you are paying for your deep class but mine is 425.00 for 4 dives, classroom, and materials. Student has to supply all gear, including a 30 or 40 cu ft slung bottle, and pay all quarry fees. That's for 2 students.
Private class is 600.

For a little context on this, I am a PADI and TDI Tec and Sidemount instructor and actively dive Hypoxic Trimix in Sidemount.

From what others here have said, Sidemount is a more advanced class, requiring more experience from the instructor and more time in the instruction. I'd be wary of a place that sells the Sidemount class at a cost similar to other specialties as they are treating it as just that...another specialty. Sidemount is really a diving platform that has its own set of nuances, pros and cons. If you're going to go to Sidemount, spend the time to get really good training in it...you won't regret it!

An old quote that I cannot attribute due to never knowing:

Any place that doesn't charge extra for cheese on a burger is trying to tell you something.

If a shop is selling a SM course and a Deep Spec at the same price, one of two things is happening :
  1. They have the worlds most comprehensive deep speciality course.
  2. Their SM course will be a waste of time.
There is a lot of bad SM out there, but because it is easy(ish) to get SM training that won't kill you in OW, the bar is pretty low (and it is set there by divers). The curve from "won't die" to "wow thats some slick SM" is very steep, and can only be surmounted by practice and experience. If you get a good instructor you can bootstrap off their experience and practice in order to cut short the time required if you were to do it on your own.

However, if they don't have any experience / practice of doing SM correctly, then the time shortening will be nearly valueless to you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom