So What Is Everyone Doing To Pass Time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Love the van!!

These days, my beard is a gray as an English morning in winter. :) Went rooting around in my photo archive and found this pic taken in Monterey, Calif. on a road trip in about 1979 or 1980. I'm the guy with the black beard in the middle. The other two guys are my current boat partners (although one is in a nursing home now) and both went through @Sam Miller III 18 week NAUI Advanced course with me. Can't believe I was ever that young. :)

View attachment 577148

Getting weaker by the day since the governor shut down all the gyms. My main fitness activity is weightlifting, and I don't have enough heavy things around the house to do workouts at home.

My gym is an "iron head" sort of gym in an industrial park. Nothing fancy. No air conditioner (sometimes they open an overhead door and point an exhaust fan outward), no mirrors (if you want form critiqued, take a video), no clocks (stay until your workout is done), no group classes of any kind (you shouldn't be there if you don't have your own program). But they do have about a dozen kinds of barbells and competition-quality equipment.

I've been bugging the owner about letting me sneak in to do some workouts. He is going to let me in to "help clean" a few times this week, so I'm pretty happy about that.

Oh, the humanity!

Have the muscles atrophied that much already from lack of use?

So far this month I've walked 70 miles and biked 625 miles. I usually ride my bike on the days I'm not diving, and I've only dived two days this month. If I don't dive tomorrow I'll be over 700 miles for March. BTW, I hate exercising but love fitting in my skinny jeans again.

wow using temp and envoromental RH. Im not looking at anything that sofisticated

so far I can not find a function in the fx1n that is a JK flipflop using set and reset signals to operate it. that would make things real easy. I can get <10 buck on off timers but I am not sure that they run on a trigger signal as opposed to a water sprinlkler type operation. I would love to have a device to trigger and it remain high for x time and auto reset. then all i have to do is program a trigger to it with a timer reset to start the process over again.
If you have a PLC you don't need any timers. Listen, I self educated on PLC's after coming out of relays in the 70's.
I'll PM you.

Love the van!!

Nothing like cruising up Highway 1 through Jade Cove and Big Sur in a VW Bus back in the day. The stories I could tell.... :)

Working out to some is an obsession...

I wish I could get obsessed with working out.

Nothing like cruising up Highway 1 through Jade Cove and Big Sur in a VW Bus back in the day. The stories I could tell.... :)

Tell them!!! We're listening!! :)

Tell them!!! We're listening!! :)

Er, no. I wish to stay married and not have the kid look at me with shock and awe. Some things occurring in a former life are best left to be wiped away by the tides of history. :) Although @Sam Miller III was on a few of those trips with me, I don't want to get him in trouble either. :)

Really? Use your imagination....I'm lifting fire wood..riding indoors, my gym has virtual on line classes, abs and biceps workouts are easy peasy with home gadgets. I'm actually in better shape because I'm riding twice as long watching 11/2 to 2 hour movies while riding....get with it...there are no excuses:wink:

And I see your in Florida! It's still cold and raw here, but that aint stopping me.

Flyboy08,

I did use my imagination, and I didn't make excuses. I found a way to continue my workouts--in a completely empty gym far removed from anyone to or from whom the virus could be transmitted.

Oh, the humanity!

Have the muscles atrophied that much already from lack of use?

Marie,

Thank you for your compassion. The sincere concern behind your question really shines through. That means a lot to me.

At my age, atrophy sets in quickly. In my 40's, I got caught up with a bad crowd of people like MaxBottomtime and Flyboy08, succumbed to their peer pressure, and ran off all my muscles doing marathons and such. Now it's real hard to rebuild and retain them.

(Plus, closed gyms mean reduced access to steroid and HGH dealers. :wink:)

Seriously though, my personal theory, backed only by life experience and a liberal arts education that included no physiology courses, is that aerobic conditioning has diminishing returns after reaching certain fitness levels, and that it's more important for older people not to be frail than to have extraordinary cardiovascular fitness. When I do get sick, whether it's from corona virus or something else, I want strength reserves to help fend off total debilitation.

On the bright side, the >60 age group records for most weight classes in most states are nearly blank slates. The few people my age who still compete mostly go bench press only or push-pull (bench and deadlift). If you show up and make a clean attempt in all three lifts (squat, bench, deadlift), you're pretty sure to win and maybe set a state record or two, even if, like me, you're not a particularly accomplished lifter (there are guys at my gym who lift more kgs than I lift lbs). But more important, going to a couple meets a year gives an objective benchmark on how well you're resisting the ravages of aging.

I've been working on improving my sac rate. I've been running around my mountain ranges from 3725m to over 3600m altitude.

Much less air up here so you get used to hard breathing. By the time I go diving again at sea level I should still have a SAC at average dive depth of around 14m at less than 8L/min I might do a couple of lake dives at 3400m altitude. Problem is I do not own a wet suit and it could be cold water.

Another problem is I have to learn how to do the math and change my dive computer settings for altitude diving. hehehehe

3275M DIVE PRESSURE.jpeg

3275M DIVE.jpeg

3275M.jpeg

I've been working on improving my sac rate. I've been running around my mountain ranges from 3725m to over 3600m altitude.

PSA: you only get about 2 weeks out of doing this, it goes away once you return to sea level. by training at a lower oxygen level your body produces more red blood cells to carry more oxygen, once its back at sea level, it stops making the extra red blood cells. so if you want to continue seeing the improvement, you need to keep training at altitude.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom