DAN First Aid for Professional Divers - physical book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a DAN Instructor and just verified in their online store. I can't even buy the printed manual. They have done an amazing job of creating some really solid instruction at very reasonable prices. Keeping printing costs out of the way helps in this and helps them remain agile when it comes to releasing updated versions of the manual as Steve_C mentioned.

From an environmental point, I appreciate the e-version only principle. I also had a long standing dislike of PDF for training materials but over the last few years I seem to have gotten over that. The only things I printed out recently are reg service manuals, mostly because they care less about how much Cristolube I have on my fingers when I flick the pages.

Downloaded it, and read the first few chapters. It's good!
Unfortunately the formating, with the huge blueish-grey areas at the start of each chapter ends up using a lot of toner. I think that printing 2-3 copies will pretty well use up XL sized black and cyan toner cartridges - an expensive proposition.
Using a pdf editor program and eliminating those blueish-grey bars would save a lot of toner, but would be illegal.

As far as legality goes, just by utilizing the free download from DAN, we have become criminals:

© 2016 Divers Alert Network
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system or transmitted, in any
form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, or otherwise without prior written permission of Divers
Alert Network,
6 West Colony Place, Durham, NC 27705.
2nd edition published September 2013; 1st edition published 2006.

Michael

What's the URL of the page you downloaded it from? If it's publicly accessible (e.g. not on a page that requires course payment), there is probably wording on the page that satisfies the requirement of prior written permission. The written link may be enough by itself.

This is the URL :
www.diversalertnetwork.org/training/files/DAN-DFAPRO-Student-Handbook.pdf

I don't see anything authorizing downloading, but it is freely accessable.
DAN has the following to say about the use of it's material:

"Copyright

All content included on this site, such as text, graphics, logos, button icons, images, audio clips and software, is the property of Divers Alert Network, Inc. (DAN) or its content suppliers and protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. The compilation (meaning the collection, arrangement and assembly) of all content on this site is the exclusive property of Divers Alert Network, Inc. and protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. All software used on this site is the property Divers Alert Network, Inc. or its software suppliers and protected by U.S. and international copyright laws. The content and software on this site may be used as a resource. Any other use, including the reproduction, modification, distribution, transmission, republication, display, or performance, of the content on this site is strictly prohibited. In addition, the harvesting of email addresses for the purpose of sending unsolicited email is also strictly prohibited. "

Michael

The content and software on this site may be used as a resource.

I would argue that this portion, plus a document obviously meant for download, would satisfy any legal issues. And that is if DAN was inclined to go after someone who is using their materials as a resource for personal use. Which would go completely against their entire mission statement

I would argue that this portion, plus a document obviously meant for download, would satisfy any legal issues. And that is if DAN was inclined to go after someone who is using their materials as a resource for personal use. Which would go completely against their entire mission statement

I agree with you, but I wish that DAN's legal team would attend a DAN seminar to learn what DAN's stated mission is, and then bring their copywrite legal mumbo-jumbo in compliance.
I hate to think I'd be doing something criminal, if and when, I download their manual and then edit their copywrited manual in order to save $50 of toner per printed copy, for my own personal use.

Michael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom