Best sidescan sonar on the used market?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To avoid cavitation issues and distortion from waves I would recommend a thru hull transducer.

If you've got some money to burn I'd look at a Raymarine Axiom. You can even fly drones from the MFD. Pretty slick. Of course you could just go with the Apple of bottom machines, Garmin. I'm an Android guy and don't like proprietary products. For example, CMOR and StrikeLines 3D charts won't work on Garmin.

A thru hull will not work with many boats, but, yes, where possible it is likely the best option for a mounted (to boat) transducer. However, thru hull will still suffer from the boat rocking in waves just as much as transom mounted and at least with our boat, the reversed chines suck a lot of air under the hull even at idle, scanning speeds, the penalty for a soft, dry ride. I can run on plane, usually up to around 40 MPH in standard sonar modes, not side scan of course, with decent bottom readings and fish. But if I am side scanning or down scanning we are idling along or with regular sonar looking for bottom detail. N

Usually a transom mounted ducer has to be mounted a decent distance from the hull's center line to avoid cavitation from engines, because of that it is more susceptible to the hull rocking and distortion on the display. A thru hull, depending on the boat's stringer construction can be positioned directly or close to the center of the hull eliminating that issue.

I am still wondering what the best bottom imaging is at the lowest price. Diving freshwater less than 80'. Is there any one machine that really stands out now? Most threads that I see on this forum are very old, there must be some opinions on newer technology with excellent clarity for bottom hunting. Also, I love the idea of towing a fish (torpedo) since the clarity can be improved but I have yet to see one under 10k. I am hoping to buy or build something for under $1,500.

I am still wondering what the best bottom imaging is at the lowest price. Diving freshwater less than 80'. Is there any one machine that really stands out now? Most threads that I see on this forum are very old, there must be some opinions on newer technology with excellent clarity for bottom hunting. Also, I love the idea of towing a fish (torpedo) since the clarity can be improved but I have yet to see one under 10k. I am hoping to buy or build something for under $1,500.
dont even bother with a tow fish for what you want, a cheap tow fish will suck

One of the newer humminbird or garmin multibeam units will work well just have a limited beam width.

I have had two Hummingbird units on my 19' Nautica RHIB over the past 15 years. The transducer is aft on the bottom of the transom. It is more of a side-imaging unit than a side-scanning unit. Not sure of the exact difference but our units have been very clear for locating reefs, wrecks, etc... My 2psi.

I have had two Hummingbird units on my 19' Nautica RHIB over the past 15 years. The transducer is aft on the bottom of the transom. It is more of a side-imaging unit than a side-scanning unit. Not sure of the exact difference but our units have been very clear for locating reefs, wrecks, etc... My 2psi.
ok - thanks for the note. Judging by your comment and experience and the comment above I'll focus on a simple transom mount unless anybody has a lead on a small towable fish that works and is affordable.

I'm biased but I've had solid luck with both Simrad/Lowrance Structurescan and StructurescanHD.

There were some concerns about cavitation blocking the view but all you have to do is bump the boat out of gear then back in. Tada, clear view.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom