When do you think virus-related disruptions will end?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have a Turk-Palau trip for end of November-December. Not that confident that it will happen. Interesting conversation with my Dr. this morning...saw him on another matter. He pointed out that we were unable to create a strong vaccine for SARS or MERS and doubts we will for Covid19 because coronavirus is much different from the flu in its makeup and mutation ability. His best hope is that we work like mad to create medications that can ease the patient from a likely mortality to just being quite sick. His belief is that if the world (and our country) figures out how to ventilate seriously sick people in vast numbers, we will adjust and learn to live with this virus and its return engagements by cutting down mortality rates to a level that is awful but not horrendous. He was quite sad that our leadership spend all of February and even the first week of March pretending this was not any different that the seasonal flu. If we had ramped up ventilator production and research on treatment in February, we'd be in much better shape. I know, hindsight is 20/20, but other friends who are doctors have been saying the same thing since mid-February.
Back to the question, "When will we return to "normalcy"? We might have to redefine that and move forward with all aspects of life after this initial surge by being in a position to not have people who are very sick die because we don't have enough medical supplies. There will be a mortality rate that we wish didn't exist but we will have saved those that could recover with treatment.
Stay safe and sane to all of you in our wonderful dive community.
Rob
Do you know of anywhere in the USA where we are triaging ventilators?

Dean Koontz had the same idea in his book also

I think this e-book editor is being sneaky and trying to take advantage of this situation by changing the original name of the biological warfare from "Gorki-400", as printed in the 1981 paper-back version of the book, developed by Soviet Union, to "Wuhan-400" , developed by China, in the recent e-book version. Shame on them!

My guess is several years, it will get much better over the summer as health care ramps up and is better able to deal with the more serious cases. Inside the country the restrictions should ease up.

International trade and travel will take much longer, as care has to be taken to prevent reinfection until an effective vaccine is produced and utilised.

I think, and hope, it will produce changes in how people are screened when coming into the country,

And people look so surprised when the answer is until enough people survive that have had it and herd immunity builds up, or a vaccine is available. Just read some of the comments here.

SMDH

Back
Top Bottom