When do you think virus-related disruptions will end?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don’t think that article says what you think it says. Also, now that I am no longer considered ethnically Chinese by you, I wonder what I am now? Canadian-American, I guess.

I don’t think that article says what you think it says. Also, now that I am no longer considered ethnically Chinese by you, I wonder what I am now? Canadian-American, I guess.
Chinese is NOT a race. period.
How many Tibetans or other ethic groups would call themselves Chinese?
Who you are? What does your passport say?

Difference between English and British or Corsican and French?

'Racist' coronavirus attack on East Asian student: London police seek four men - CNN

Like it or not, the world sees you as chinese. being from singapore/HK/taiwan doesn't mean anything, it doesn't change your race.

You also need to understand I am not ethnic Chinese and nor is my wife. Indigenous people were in Taiwan for thousands of year before any Chinese tried setting foot on the island. Ask any of those countries that sent people here, from the Spanish Portuguese Dutch Americans and Japanese... they were often not welcomed.

Taiwan has never been part of the PRC and even in China's own documents Taiwan was an off limits savage place where they tried to annex the country but could never control it. Also in Singapore there is a large Indian community, are you telling me they are seen as Chinese, the same for the Malay Community? They too are Chinese? How about the many people who are not ethnically Chinese in HK.

My passport says TAIWAN on the front of it. I am definitely not Chinese :)

Are you making a distinction between ethnicity and race? Does it matter? My passport says that I’m American, but I speak Mandarin Chinese. I have an English name and a Chinese name. My cousins in Malaysia have Malaysian passports, but for certain the government does not consider them Malay and have all sorts of restrictions because they are Chinese. My cousins from Taiwan understand that although they carry a ROC passport, the aboriginal Taiwanese do not consider them Taiwanese, nor do they themselves, as they do not speak or understand Taiwanese, and communicate in Mandarin Chinese. When I was little, there were two separate Chinese Associations in my town, one representing Hong Kong Chinese with a Chinese school that taught Cantonese and the other representing ROC Chinese with a Chinese school that taught Mandarin. Now I hear that there is a third Chinese Association representing Mainland Chinese with a Chinese school that also teaches Mandarin, but with a different system of romanized pronunciation symbols. In my mind, we are all ethnically Chinese with different dialects, but with a common shared culture and history, a mix of Buddhism and Confucianism. There are other ethnic minorities in or around China with a different mix of customs that would not call themselves Chinese, because of a divergent language, culture, or religion. Sanskrit, Hinduism, cultural Islam are not part of the Chinese identifier, even though to an outsider there is a physical resemblance. Similarly, Koreans and Japanese are not Chinese, although there is a distant shared heritage.

This is response to two posts above, not the immediate one above. My tiny phone has limited viewing space.

I believe the front of the passport say 中華民國 Republic of China.

You also need to understand I am not ethnic Chinese and nor is my wife. Indigenous people were in Taiwan for thousands of year before any Chinese tried setting foot on the island. Ask any of those countries that sent people here, from the Spanish Portuguese Dutch Americans and Japanese... they were often not welcomed.

Taiwan has never been part of the PRC and even in China's own documents Taiwan was an off limits savage place where they tried to annex the country but could never control it. Also in Singapore there is a large Indian community, are you telling me they are seen as Chinese, the same for the Malay Community? They too are Chinese? How about the many people who are not ethnically Chinese in HK.

My passport says TAIWAN on the front of it. I am definitely not Chinese :)

did you even read the article? the point is the wider world only cares what you look like. they aren't going to ask for the nationality on your passport before you get assaulted. if you look southeast asian or dutch, that is an entirely different case.

Reactions: Dan
A big Hakka hug to all of you. (However I won’t understand a word of it. My parents thought Mandarin to be more useful in the world).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom