Perdix AI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was looking at an AI transmitter to go with a Perdix. LDS told be to buy an Aqua Lung as they are identical except for price. Is this true?

I took a silver Sharpie pen and wrote "Do Not Touch" and also "No Tocar" on my stage-one mounted transmitter.
100% of my diving is in English and/or Spanish speaking venues.

I took a silver Sharpie pen and wrote "Do Not Touch" and also "No Tocar" on my stage-one mounted transmitter.
100% of my diving is in English and/or Spanish speaking venues.
I put a couple of turns of blaze orange tape around mine.

I also leave my transmitter in. However, one a student unscrewed it when I asked her to open my tank valve.

I leave mine in, but will relate a funny story (if funny means "Seaweed did something stupid").

I was taking my Instructor Development course and we had gone into shallow water for our first practice teaching demo of a confined water skill. When my turn came to "teach" I had to submerge while the course director told the other candidates what to do wrong so I could try and catch it. Of course, I submerged with my air turned off. I then nonchalantly reached back (while holding my breath) to turn the air on. I darn near unscrewed the AI (and thus flooded my first stage) when I grabbed it by mistake....

So some of you write “do not touch” others put high viz tape around the transmitter. Seems to me there is some concern about the transmitter being messed with, while on the boat. As another person said “to each their own” I understand why some of you don’t want a hose extension and I personally am ok with whatever you do with your equipment. But for me, because of my hose, I don’t worry about it at all.

Peace of mind.

I’m a recreational diver and don’t do caves or confined spaces etc. So when I’m down at 100 feet or more, it’s wide open for me. I might do some coral reef bridges but nothing that my tank is going to hit on. So my setup works for me. Your mileage may vary, and that’s ok.

Glenn

So some of you write “do not touch” others put high viz tape around the transmitter. Seems to me there is some concern about the transmitter being messed with, while on the boat. As another person said “to each their own” I understand why some of you don’t want a hose extension and I personally am ok with whatever you do with your equipment. But for me, because of my hose, I don’t worry about it at all.

Peace of mind.

I’m a recreational diver and don’t do caves or confined spaces etc. So when I’m down at 100 feet or more, it’s wide open for me. I might do some coral reef bridges but nothing that my tank is going to hit on. So my setup works for me. Your mileage may vary, and that’s ok.

Glenn

Hi Glenn,

I think you have the right idea and summarized it very well!

I might, however, go a step further and say that not only may people have different opinions in general, but also for different situations.

I was the one that posted this as I knew the arguments for each would come out:
Waiting for the additional point of failure comments...:popcorn:

However, what I didn't write is that I own a 6" hose for the same reasons as you and others have described, I just haven't felt that I was in a situation where I was so worried about that I felt the need to use it as a lot of my diving is from the beach and no one is pulling on my rig. But would have no qualms if I did.

I will also add that when I bought the hose I purchased a quick disconnect as well - which I have never used as well obviously. Not sure that I want to add two more points of failure on top of the hose!

Let the arguments on that begin!

Larry

Back
Top Bottom