Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Exactly - this is what I mean. There are not tests on the island until there is a suspected case - then a test gets sent. From there, the test goes from CZM to CUN to MX City and then results finally back to CZM.

@CajunDiva - yes, there is a lack of testing on the island and everywhere. But beyond that there is a tremendous amount of denial on the island and in MX in general with public officials making outrageous statements that are intentional attempts to minimize and hide the truth about cases.

That's just government trying to make it seem as if they are in control. When it comes to this virus, there absolutely IS NO control. Mexico City is getting ready to get slammed. Cozumel did a good thing by shutting down, but they REALLY need to locate any infected people and isolate them before the disease takes off.

Being proactive and keeping it contained is the only way. Hope the Cozumelenos can convince each other that love = distance :oops:

@Christi

Please extend our sympathies and prayers to Pedro and family.

The Powell's

Unfortunately, there is a worldwide trend to cut back on essential social services in the interest of "saving money". Money is only saved until something like this comes along, and only time will tell what the net result will be. I suspect that this one will not be positive.

There will be those who will say, "But we couldn't have seen this coming." My response is, "Exactly."

You cannot wait until your car is sliding toward a collision to start thinking about installing airbags.
And you also cannot be prepared for every possible disaster.

And you also cannot be prepared for every possible disaster.

Of course not, but this type of thing, though usually smaller in scope has happened many times before. It will happen again and the next time it could be worse. We should look at virus outbreaks the way we do earthquakes and hurricanes.

Of course not, but this type of thing, though usually smaller in scope has happened many times before. It will happen again and the next time it could be worse. We should look at virus outbreaks the way we do earthquakes and hurricanes.
Over the years it has been interesting for me to see the difference in how the US and Mexico treat hurricane preparedness. One is determined to have things built at any cost to stand up to the hurricane. The other builds things cheap and rebuilds after a hurricane.

Over the years it has been interesting for me to see the difference in how the US and Mexico treat hurricane preparedness. One is determined to have things built at any cost to stand up to the hurricane. The other builds things cheap and rebuilds after a hurricane.
It seems to me that applying the same logic as what you say is the Mexican way of dealing with hurricanes to the Novel Coronavirus would have been just to stay unprepared and let it kill whom it will. I can't say that I would be in favor of that.

By the way, the worst damaged building I saw along Melgar when I went to Cozumel a couple of months after Wilma was the Navy facility. Most of the civilian buildings remained structurally sound. One exception was the large boathouse next to Blue Angel. It might have been cheap but the boat in it that was destroyed when the roof caved in on it wasn't.

There are likely many news outlets providing good information regarding the spread of COVID-19 in Cozumel, but I find Cozumel Sun to have a very useful format for those who are not fluent Spanish speakers. Here is their update for 1-April regarding the National Health Emergency declaration. A couple of highlights:

Ultramar, like Winjet, is now operating alternate days. It appears Ultramar is running three trips versus Winjet's two; Ultramar's current schedule leaves Cozumel at 9am, 12pm, and 7pm; return schedule from PDC is one hour later.

I've heard from several sources that the best, most current source of information is Twitter. The above information for Ultramar is from their Twitter account. The Ultramar website doesn't appear to have a published schedule.

The article states that an emergency declaration allows the government to require employers to pay to the full salary of employees during the period of the declaration. I think it's great that the employees will be paid, however, the pockets of the employers are not infinite, and one has to wonder how long that can continue, or what assistance the government may offer. Perhaps some of the employers here can provide more details.

On a lighter (?) note, I did find the "Protocol when entering your home" to be a little amusing, if not quite prudent:
  • Take your shoes off before entering the door
  • Clean the top and bottom of your shoes
  • Throw out all receipts
  • Go directly to a room where you can disrobe and place all your clothing in the washer
  • Do not touch anything
  • Shower and brush your teeth
  • Now you can greet the family!
  • [comment/observation: apparently dressing after showering is optional!]
I know folks can find this information on their own. I hope it's at least entertaining to a few. It helps to feel like I'm doing something that's marginally useful.

There are likely many news outlets providing good information regarding the spread of COVID-19 in Cozumel, but I find Cozumel Sun to have a very useful format for those who are not fluent Spanish speakers. Here is their update for 1-April regarding the National Health Emergency declaration. A couple of highlights:

Ultramar, like Winjet, is now operating alternate days. It appears Ultramar is running three trips versus Winjet's two; Ultramar's current schedule leaves Cozumel at 9am, 12pm, and 7pm; return schedule from PDC is one hour later.

I've heard from several sources that the best, most current source of information is Twitter. The above information for Ultramar is from their Twitter account. The Ultramar website doesn't appear to have a published schedule.

The article states that an emergency declaration allows the government to require employers to pay to the full salary of employees during the period of the declaration. I think it's great that the employees will be paid, however, the pockets of the employers are not infinite, and one has to wonder how long that can continue, or what assistance the government may offer. Perhaps some of the employers here can provide more details.

On a lighter (?) note, I did find the "Protocol when entering your home" to be a little amusing, if not quite prudent:
  • Take your shoes off before entering the door
  • Clean the top and bottom of your shoes
  • Throw out all receipts
  • Go directly to a room where you can disrobe and place all your clothing in the washer
  • Do not touch anything
  • Shower and brush your teeth
  • Now you can greet the family!
  • [comment/observation: apparently dressing after showering is optional!]
I know folks can find this information on their own. I hope it's at least entertaining to a few. It helps to feel like I'm doing something that's marginally useful.

Correct, employees will still receive their base salary if they were not freelancers - they will survive as long as their employers pay them.

ZERO support from the government for businesses - including electricity, etc. and there is zero income. I would sell my car in Cozumel if there was anyone who could buy it right now. I took on extra part time work delivering Door Dash, Grub Hub, SHIPT and Instacart to send to my staff. So in addition to my 40 hours of work and clinical internship + graduate school I'm putting in about 25 - 30 hours in deliveries - this too shall pass!

@CajunDiva - yes, there is a lack of testing on the island and everywhere. But beyond that there is a tremendous amount of denial on the island and in MX in general with public officials making outrageous statements that are intentional attempts to minimize and hide the truth about cases.

Sounds more than a little familiar. Thoughts and prayers to Pedro and his family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom