Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

" Not only we expect to have our boats empty for a period of at least months but we’ll have ¼ of our trips filled with non-paying customers in 2021."

That is not a reason to not refund that is a BS excuse. Are my customers I refunded being told oh but my business in 2021 may suffer? That is none of their concern that is my problem.

I would name the LOB so I can avoid them next year as my dive partner still wants to do Indonesia and a LOB Raja Ampat and other places like Komodo. I expect many of these operators to " go bankrupt" to avoid issuing refunds and then to "phoenix their business" and wow the same boats with the same people under a new name are offering LOB packages again.

" Not only we expect to have our boats empty for a period of at least months but we’ll have ¼ of our trips filled with non-paying customers in 2021."

That is not a reason to not refund that is a BS excuse. Are my customers I refunded being told oh but my business in 2021 may suffer? That is none of their concern that is my problem.

I would name the LOB so I can avoid them next year as my dive partner still wants to do Indonesia and a LOB Raja Ampat and other places like Komodo. I expect many of these operators to " go bankrupt" to avoid issuing refunds and then to "phoenix their business" and wow the same boats with the same people under a new name are offering LOB packages again.

I don't even want a refund. I want a pure reschedule. The trip next year is shorter by a day so it is slightly cheaper. I am not even asking for a credit in the difference. Just reschedule me.

For those who have gotten your trips rescheduled / 100% refunded, please post here. Let me start. I got my French Polynesia Master trip rescheduled from May to October with $0 coming out of my pocket.

For those who have gotten your trips rescheduled / 100% refunded, please post here. Let me start. I got my French Polynesia Master trip rescheduled from May to October with $0 coming out of my pocket.

The Google Sheet on the first post has a link that shows what are full reschedules or refunds, 100% value.

Reactions: Dan
The Google Sheet on the first post has a link that shows what are full reschedules or refunds, 100% value.

‘at this stage I think you should name the operation. Even if they finally cave, it’s been such a fight that I don’t want to go anywhere near them.

What they are proposing seems very reasonable to me. Good job Nautilus for stepping up.
I hate that plan. God's Pocket is doing the same thing. We spent $10,000 on a trip that we were supposed to be on right now. We got a full refund from Pacific Coastal Airlines and 100% credit from Air Canada. God's Pocket is keeping our money and will make us pay 50% for another four weeks there just to break even. Of course, we then have to pay for additional airfare, hotel stays in Port Hardy and taxis. I'm really POd because it's my favorite place on Earth and now I never want to go there again.
They aren't having to pay for food, gas and other expenses now, yet they won't just give us back our money. I hate spending that kind of cash and getting nothing in return. I feel like I was robbed.

Whole big world out there Phil, vote with your wallet. I am sure you can find somewhere else that is just as awesome

I have logged Damai as giving a 60% voucher. If this turns out to be incorrect, I will change it but a couple sources have confirmed this.

Strangely, their policy on their website says this:

Alterations and cancellations made by Dive Damai : Dive Damai reserves the right to alter the itinerary or given services due to unforeseen or unavoidable circumstances. Dive Damai will inform the agent and/or client at the earliest possible time of such alterations, as well as any consequent changes to the price. Dive Damai will make appropriate arrangements where possible to provide clients with a viable alternative. Dive Damai reserves the right to cancel a trip due to unavoidable circumstances and will contact the agent and/or client at the earliest possible convenience. In the unlikely event that a trip should be cancelled by Dive Damai then an alternative date will be offered to the agent or client and where such a date is unacceptable to the agent or client then a refund of the money paid for the trip by the agent or client will be considered

If circumstances (e.g weather conditions or unforeseen natural phenomena etc) force Dive Damai to alter the itinerary and the quality of the trip is effected, Dive Damai will not be held responsible for the altered itinerary or, if such a case exists, the shortening of the trip. In the case of Force Majeure (natural disasters, epidemics and unforeseen acts of God etc) or unavoidable acts of man (war, riots etc) Dive Damai reserves the right to cancel the trip and offer an alternative date to the agent and/or client at the earliest possible convenience. Should the agent and/or client be unable to accept the offered date then Dive Damai will not be required to offer an alternative or to refund any monies paid. As stated above, it is recommended that clients take out separate trip cancellation insurance before traveling to Indonesia. Dive Damai reserves the right to cancel a booking if any unreasonable or unlawful act on the client’s part gives justifiable cause to do so. In such instances, Dive Damai will not refund any payments made by said client. Disclaimer: Dive Damai will not be responsible for any loss or damage to the guests’ personal belongings.

I In the case of Force Majeure (natural disasters, epidemics and unforeseen acts of God etc)

Acts of God. Really they are pulling this BS excuse? Do they have a contact for God?

I was scheduled on the Arenui to Komodo for the middle of July... Trip organizer called and wanted my thoughts. I figured with the way things were going (this was a couple weeks ago) that even if we could leave on a flight out of the US, getting to Indonesia might not be possible. So through the travel agent, we were told that we would forfeit our deposits of $300. No rescheduling available. People who run the Arenui were not willing to bend at all. Must have something to do with being booked out to 2025... Luckily, the travel agent held up our next payment of $1000 each traveler! She waited to send payment thinking there would be a problem.

For me, I'm willing to lose the $300 to be safe rather than pay for the trip and hope everything turns out well. The unyielding position of the Arenui surprised me as Indonesia is going through their own problems now that the US was going through back in Feb.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom