Diver Dead in South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Except there is - don't have the engine on in the first place unless you have to.
Since the victim here was already on the surface and was being picked up, that's not really applicable here. Ditto the SMB thing, there was no reason for that to still be in use when a diver is trying to reach out and climb a ladder.

I don't know this charter at all but for the vast majority of boats, maneuverability (and visibility) when backing is poor at best. Backing up to a diver in the water is the worst way to reach them in a controlled manner.
I have never been on a dive boat that turned off the engine while picking up divers, nor would I want to.

We got a ski boat decades ago. Dad said he'd buy it, but it had to be a jet. There are other ways to die on the water, but prop strikes are horrible. The jet boat was harder to steer at slow speeds, but I'd pick up the skis from the side, then let the skier swim to the ladder at the back.

I've had captains back up to me in the water as a diver a few times, once each for those times as I wouldn't go with them again even tho I was certain I could negative and sink but didn't want to test that ability. I've had boats side swipe me, but at least I could push back from those. And I've made my own mistakes under boats but lived to learn from the experiences.

I've been backing into my garage since I moved to town a decade ago as I can watch for kids around before I do then better leaving that way. I have shared this with others but it's never caught on. Backing up is more dangerous and I try to watch for others before boarding and during, but people sneak up into blind spots and kids are the hardest to see.

Thank you. Terrible tragedy. Question, how do you get negative fast enough to drop below the prop?

Question, how do you get negative fast enough to drop below the prop?
It's not a good approach, but I am more comfortable with it. I overweight enough at the beginning to ensure I can drop fast and the end of the dive if needed. I have to carry extra air in my BC during the dive which is not good, but I like the edge. I wouldn't want to test it tho as I might not get the air out fast enough or be wrong about how much of an edge I have. I ascend with a SMB on a line, be it mine or the DMs, hold at 15 feet for the safety stop while listening for motors, and when it's time to surface - I keep turning and listening, turning more on the surface with my SMB or arm in the air until I feel safe.

If I saw a boat backing up to pick me up, I'd drop then and wait until he gets a clue to stop chasing me. I'd have 19 cf more air in my pony if he can't take a hint and a PLB if he leaves me.

I have never been on a dive boat that turned off the engine while picking up divers, nor would I want to.
For dives where you moor to buoy or anchor, engine off has been my experience. Obviously they can't do that on a drift dive, but on a normal dive? I guess you and I have had different experiences.

Even if the engine is on for a drift dive, every boat I've been on has approached the divers from the side rather than backing directly into us.

It's not a good approach, but I am more comfortable with it. I overweight enough at the beginning to ensure I can drop fast and the end of the dive if needed. I have to carry extra air in my BC during the dive which is not good, but I like the edge. I wouldn't want to test it tho as I might not get the air out fast enough or be wrong about how much of an edge I have. I ascend with a SMB on a line, be it mine or the DMs, hold at 15 feet for the safety stop while listening for motors, and when it's time to surface - I keep turning and listening, turning more on the surface with my SMB or arm in the air until I feel safe.

If I saw a boat backing up to pick me up, I'd drop then and wait until he gets a clue to stop chasing me. I'd have 19 cf more air in my pony if he can't take a hint and a PLB if he leaves me.

If a boat is backing down on you and you are on the surface and buoyant and you become scared, the last thing you want to do is try to vent air and then descend under the prop!

I would look for a ladder, if a ladder is hanging down from the stern and the boat is backing down, then you could try to grab the ladder and use that to prevent yourself from being chopped up or being swept under the stern.

If there is no ladder between you and the prop, then yelling and swimming sideways would probably be the next best thing. If there actually is an accident in the making, you will only have a few moments to respond - at best, and trying to swim down several feet to get below the prop is probably not an option.

To further emphasize the point, going back down right at the stern, while the boat is moving or drifting backwards, can put the prop and or rudder etc, right over your head. Even if the prop is not engaged, the boat can be moving up and down hard and the prop slamming into your head could easily be lethal, even with the engine off. Don't try to swim down under the stern of a boat, if you have any other option!

All of the "drift dive" boats Ive been on stop about 10 to 20 ft away from divers and down current. When the Capt puts it in neutral, then and only then are the divers waved (by the DM or mate on the stern and in direct communication with the Capt) that it's safe to approach and board.

I have a question for the Capts, how easy is it for the boat to slip into gear accidentally?

All of the "drift dive" boats Ive been on stop about 10 to 20 ft away from divers and down current. When the Capt puts it in neutral, then and only then are the divers waved (by the DM or mate on the stern and in direct communication with the Capt) that it's safe to approach and board.

I have a question for the Capts, how easy is it for the boat to slip into gear accidentally?
You mean bump the throttle or by itself?

For dives where you moor to buoy or anchor, engine off has been my experience. Obviously they can't do that on a drift dive, but on a normal dive? I guess you and I have had different experiences.

Even if the engine is on for a drift dive, every boat I've been on has approached the divers from the side rather than backing directly into us.
I don't believe I have ever dove from a moored boat. I also don't believe I've ever had a dive boat back toward me. But I was responding to people that believed that ta dive boat shouldn't have their engine running within 100 yards of a diver.

Either one,
I always assumed as a diver it was safe, but Im just wondering is it common or can it easily happen by mistake?
It is very easy to bump the handle. I would say it is next to impossible for the engine to jump into gear by itself. It is not unheard of or uncommon for the boat to remain in gear when placed in neutral.

The first is caused by the captain not paying attention. Although my cat used to start engines and shift gears when she sprawled out on the dash.

The second is prevented by the detents on the shift lever on the gearbox itself. Once the gearbox is in neutral, it tends to stay there.

The third is caused by sloppy shifter linkages. You can put the handle in the wheelhouse in neutral, but if the cable is stretched or the ball and socket is worn, it may not completely disengage.

Modern brand new gearboxes are fly-by-wire instead of being mechanical shifters. I've never actually seen one of these, and I assume that folks who can afford dive boats can't afford these kind of modern setups, but like any electronics, I assume they can fail miserably.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom