Port is closed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seriously...the ONLY way you can absolutely protect yourself is to stay at home. We can't all do that, but we MUST take responsibility for our own actions. Nobody is going to do it for us.

Wishing all the best to my dive buddies!

I said to a friend of mine that this has got to be worse than Wilma - she said no way, we have electric. That may be true and how folks are looking at it I suppose. I'm looking at it from a long term thing - the world economy took a huge hit - this isn't rebuild a dock so that people can come why we rebuild the city. This is people ain't got any money to come, we've got nothing to do while we wait for them..... Folks here are really going to struggle, even if we dodge the bullet with this virus, things will get much worse here simply from the lack of work/income.

100x worse than Wilma. With a hurricane, you can start rebuilding right away and there is a path to the end. With this, it might be many months before there can even be an attempt to restart things, and the rest of the world has been hit the same way so all the tourists aren't waiting for the Open sign to begin returning. Cozumel might get through this and ready for things to return to normal only to find the rest of the world is years from being ready to return.

Some media outlets are now posting an updated announcement (original was 012/2020, update is 013/2020) that at a minimum removes a portion of the title dealing with privately owned watercraft. I am not fluent in Spanish, so I will have to defer to others to identify what else may have changed. At least some are commenting that this now allows private owners to operate their boats, but I suspect the local port captains may well have some latitude in that regard.

For quick reference, the language removed from the title is:

"; así como aquellas embaracciones nacionales y extranjeras para uso particular empleadas para fines recreativas"

Rough translation:
"; as well as those domestic and foreign vessels for private use used for recreational purposes"

Some media outlets are now posting an updated announcement (original was 012/2020, update is 013/2020) that at a minimum removes a portion of the title dealing with privately owned watercraft. I am not fluent in Spanish, so I will have to defer to others to identify what else may have changed. At least some are commenting that this now allows private owners to operate their boats, but I suspect the local port captains may well have some latitude in that regard.

For quick reference, the language removed from the title is:

"; así como aquellas embaracciones nacionales y extranjeras para uso particular empleadas para fines recreativas"

Rough translation:
"; as well as those domestic and foreign vessels for private use used for recreational purposes"

My Spanish ain’t no good but the first day of the port closure, the fishing boats on the north end of town sat still while beer was consumed in the parking lot across from the boat ramp.

On the second day of the port closure, the fishing boats were out working and fewer were drinking beer in the parking lot - I’m sure those numbers increased as the boats returned.

Both days - the gates were closed and parking lot empty at the north marina.

My desire to swim in the pool and take a nap have been stronger than my desire to ride down an empty Melgar today, maybe tomorrow.

I did see they just officially closed the beaches although other than last Saturday, I really never seen people grouping together on the beaches.

As I sat and watched the Fiesta Americana webcam this morning (my morning coffee ritual), I saw a small boat speed by heading south. I wished things were normal and I was on it. Heavy sigh.

As I sat and watched the Fiesta Americana webcam this morning (my morning coffee ritual), I saw a small boat speed by heading south. I wished things were normal and I was on it. Heavy sigh.

Ahh - no divers, nobody watching, let's go fish in the park?? They need remote cannons mounted on that camera that you can operate between sips.

Just look at my home town! This alone should scare all into social distancing! Its nuts in NYC!

new orleans is likely to be way worse than NYC. People are in really bad shape down in N.O. obese, high blood pressure, diabetes, thats most old people and their middle age kids. Death rate will be ten times NYC.

new orleans is likely to be way worse than NYC. People are in really bad shape down in N.O. obese, high blood pressure, diabetes, thats most old people and their middle age kids. Death rate will be ten times NYC.
I don't know about the general health of New Orleanians relative to everyone else, but Mardi Gras timing was unfortunate. The City was mobbed by people from all over the world.

Maybe they could just replay days from last year when things were normal?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom