Sidemount as a first own setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM can absolutely be done from the get-go. So many people are saying it is information overload but a new diver doesn't know what they don't know. If you teach them in SM, that is how they will wire their minds as far as gas sharing, reg switching, etc. I believe it can be more difficult to teach someone who already has engrained behaviors from backmount.

As far as it being harder on a boat...I call B.S.!! I easily gear up and backroll with no issues. I have also done giant strides on a Thailand cattle boat with zero issues. Like anything it is all about practice, practice, practice.

I will say that finding a quality SM instructor who dives predominantly in that config is key. Also, if you are heading to Thailand, go check out my mate at Erik at Hydronauts on Koh Tao. He can teach you how to dive SM properly. Oh and tell him Turk says hi.

I'm just quoting this as it should be read multiple times.

SM can absolutely be done from the get-go. So many people are saying it is information overload but a new diver doesn't know what they don't know. If you teach them in SM, that is how they will wire their minds as far as gas sharing, reg switching, etc. I believe it can be more difficult to teach someone who already has engrained behaviors from backmount.

As far as it being harder on a boat...I call B.S.!! I easily gear up and backroll with no issues. I have also done giant strides on a Thailand cattle boat with zero issues. Like anything it is all about practice, practice, practice.

I will say that finding a quality SM instructor who dives predominantly in that config is key. Also, if you are heading to Thailand, go check out my mate at Erik at Hydronauts on Koh Tao. He can teach you how to dive SM properly. Oh and tell him Turk says hi.

There's a lot of naysayers here on SB. I'd like to see a video of a sidemount diver jumping off a boat/getting back in with deco bottles and a DPV to quiet them down once and for all. The only issue I can see is how narrow the exit/entrance point may be.

There's a lot of naysayers here on SB. I'd like to see a video of a sidemount diver jumping off a boat/getting back in with deco bottles and a DPV to quiet them down once and for all. The only issue I can see is how narrow the exit/entrance point may be.

In this situation, I would just pass my DPV and cylinders up then climb the ladder clean of gear. Of course that depends on the surface conditions but make your life as easy as possible when you can.

In this situation, I would just pass my DPV and cylinders up then climb the ladder clean of gear. Of course that depends on the surface conditions but make your life as easy as possible when you can.

exactly, you can start stripping everything down and stowing hoses on your safety stop and leave the bottle you're breathing from in place. Then when you get back to the boat/panga it's just a single clip and unhook the bungee and pass the bottle(s) up.

I've done it in heavy seas into a crowded panga and it was MUCH easier than trying to climb a moving ladder with a tank on my back, or trying to wriggle out of a backmounted bc in the water to pass the whole rig up. Plus you still have buoyancy from your BC if things go badly and you slip back in the water.

exactly, you can start stripping everything down and stowing hoses on your safety stop and leave the bottle you're breathing from in place. Then when you get back to the boat/panga it's just a single clip and unhook the bungee and pass the bottle(s) up.

I've done it in heavy seas into a crowded panga and it was MUCH easier than trying to climb a moving ladder with a tank on my back, or trying to wriggle out of a backmounted bc in the water to pass the whole rig up. Plus you still have buoyancy from your BC if things go badly and you slip back in the water.

This is exactly how I do it AND teach my students to do it. You don't have anything else to do on the safety stop anyway so might as well switch to the bungee reg, stow longhouse, hard clip to d-ring and take off the bungee. Then hard clip the right cylinder (bungeed backup) and take off the bungee from the cylinder, undo the inflator hose and pass bungee on necklace over your head. All clean and ready to quickly unclip and pass up the cylinders.

Nothing looks worse than a diver walking around an unstable boat weighed down with gear, learn to dress in the water, put heavy twinsets in the water with the wing pumped enough to float them, simply sit up on them and they practically fall on to you. Side mount lends itself to dressing in the water where there’s no weight on the diver and he doesn’t need assistance from someone else.

This is exactly how I do it AND teach my students to do it. You don't have anything else to do on the safety stop anyway so might as well switch to the bungee reg, stow longhouse, hard clip to d-ring and take off the bungee. Then hard clip the right cylinder (bungeed backup) and take off the bungee from the cylinder, undo the inflator hose and pass bungee on necklace over your head. All clean and ready to quickly unclip and pass up the cylinders.

that said, it could be an expensive mistake if the person you're passing your steel LP125 to loses their grip :wink:

U
that said, it could be an expensive mistake if the person you're passing your steel LP125 to loses their grip :wink:
Use a lanyard and take your gear into the boat yourself maybe it’s because I dive solo so much but I trust no one.

I dive AL80s so no, it is not a problem for me. Plus the people I hand my cylinders off to are well skilled and I do not let go until they confirm they have control of the cylinders.

we had 2 ow students 2 years ago using SM (they had back problems ) they did great we even made the left side reg ...(hog)...a left side feed I also (as far as I know im only one of the few here in Ontario ) did an advanced nitrox/ deco course that year in SM, just talked to them last night they are still loving it (the OW students )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom