Cancelled/postponed trips due to COVID - please share your outcomes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just informed my tickets to James Taylor and Jackson Brown at Bethel woods.....original Woodstock location has been postponed...that’s like 14 events between Feb and July cancelled....lol....and I’m sheltering ha!

Yes, I lose 15%, around 200 bucks as I did not yet buy airfare. I have to admit I am leaning towards canceling...

Just do that. If the current situation ends,you'll have lots of opportunity for rebooking though there's likely to be fewer boats operating.

Yes, I lose 15%, around 200 bucks as I did not yet buy airfare. I have to admit I am leaning towards canceling...

Since this is such a new and different situation, don’t be afraid to ask if they’re open to alternatives. Maybe you can change the date of your sailing to a later date which would then change when you would have balances due because they’re based on X number of days before the sailing. If they’re willing, that will allow you to scope out the situation longer and get a better read. I believe this fleet is one with a more generous policy than many others. You never know until you ask about other creative options or ideas and the answer is always no until you try. :)

Hi!

I know many of us are dealing with canceled trips and postponed trips due to COVID. I'm interested to hear what your plans originally were (dates or any specific logistics you want to share), where you were supposed to go and with whom you had booked travel with, what you ended up doing (canceling/postponing) and what solutions your travel suppliers (airline, liveaboard, resort, dive shop, etc.) were able to offer you.

I think this will help many of us in the same situation see what is possible and with who, and to also think of some creative ideas/alternatives to being flexible during this time.

I'm still working on details of my postponement and will refrain from sharing until I know what the final word is. However, I would love to hear your story and for others to be able to see them as well. To make it easier for everyone to read through and for me to log everything, please only post if your outcomes are final.

I am including what everyone is sharing that is a final outcome on a Google Sheet below for easy sorting/view. If anyone wants to volunteer to help keep this updated, please let me know. We can tag-team. I will try my best to update it as much as I can as the new posts come in. I am also trying to post credit to the member(s) who shared their experience with us in this thread. If I have "liked" your post it means it has been added to the database. Thank you for your contributions!

If you can't access the filters as it is in view mode only, go to "Data" and go to "Filter Views" and then use a new or existing temporary filter.

Thank you!

Scubaboard Coronavirus Travel COVID Policies for Refunds/Reschedules - updated Mar 18 2020

The Maldives is totally affected by the pandemic as the main source of tour country is tourism, Liveaboard are on standby, the resort is closed, and leaves unemployed, for the company we offer rebooking dates, as much as possible and we hope operators is not canceling.

Since this is such a new and different situation, don’t be afraid to ask if they’re open to alternatives. Maybe you can change the date of your sailing to a later date which would then change when you would have balances due because they’re based on X number of days before the sailing. If they’re willing, that will allow you to scope out the situation longer and get a better read. I believe this fleet is one with a more generous policy than many others. You never know until you ask about other creative options or ideas and the answer is always no until you try. :)

They are just offering the option to keep up with the payments or to cancel, as they expect to be fully operational by the end of June. I strongly believe that will not be the case on that time frame, fully or otherwise. I just canceled.

We just got email from Aggressor about our April 24 T&C trip, offering a free reschedule within 12 months, vouchers to follow. At the moment I don't know if the vouchers will be for a week, or for the 25% off price we paid originally. I would understand either outcome.

There is one thing for sure. In the future, I will closely read everyone’s cancellation policy a lot more closely. I understand a policy that is more restrictive under normal circumstances. What I am looking for is what resorts and liveaboards are willing to do when the unthinkable happens. I would love to see a policy clearly stated when “acts of God” or whatever are the reason for the trip being canceled.

For the most part, I’m fine with the resorts/liveaboards keeping the money as long as their rebooking policy is friendly to the customer. I think at least 24 months should be the standard. It’s not always easy to reschedule in a 12 month timeframe if you already have other trips on the books for the following year.

We just got email from Aggressor about our April 24 T&C trip, offering a free reschedule within 12 months, vouchers to follow. At the moment I don't know if the vouchers will be for a week, or for the 25% off price we paid originally. I would understand either outcome.
Very cool, thanks for the update. I'm booked on a June Aggressor T&C trip so will hope that we either get to go or they offer a similar arrangement.

Just had a look at all these postings and realise how fortunate i was.
Here the story in short - if off topic, just ignore me :wink:

We had plans to go the Maldives from 11.04. to 25.04. this year, staying at a guesthouse on Dhigurah (inhabited Island, no alcohol :eek::facepalm::D).
I had all pieces together (flights FRA-DOH-MLE-VMA and back, transfers, half board, ...) when a friend recommended a travel agent with whom he had several good experiences. So, i had the travel journey details checked by her and she manage to get a better price with better features. Enough for me to place the whole booking through her agency and through this move i got a package holiday instead of several single bookings.
One week ago the guesthouse (and 2 days later the dive shop) informed us that they are closing ar least until end of april due to Corona.
By this, the trip was no longer possible and the travel agent was no longer in a position to deliver what we had paid for.
Consequence: we are getting 100% of our money back as it was already stated in the terms and conditions when we signed the contract and made our paiments.

The EU Travel Directive guarantees the cost of a vacation with more than one element (eg travel & accommodation) by ATOL Bond. Americans are in the wild west and have no such protection.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom