US divers - maybe more local diving due to the CV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dive shops here in MD are either closed or running limited hours / by appointment only. Luckily there's a commercial boat shop that has a compressor that looks like they'll stay open as scuba is but a very small part of their operation.

I plan to dive locally Sunday. I like diving anywhere I can. I know I have a trip planned to FL in Sep for the Goliath Grouper and a NC trip planned in Oct. for a wedding that I'll sneak a dive or 2 in. I'd also like to get back to the St. Lawrence sooner than later.

My plans haven't really changed because of things yet, but who knows what'll happen.

I have access to SE Florida within a 3-4 hour drive. Before all the shelter in place orders, dive operators were trying to take precautions of social distancing. Full boats of 24-36 people were cut way down to allow for 6 feet apart between divers, mask rinse bins eliminated etc. Maybe not right away, but maybe a month or so after charters start running I could see myself going back out again with them.

We have a big trip planned for early August to the Turks and Caicos for a week long liveaboard which is our first liveaboard experience. Beyond excited for it, and hoping this virus crap chills out and it can still go as that is several months away. But we will see! If it doesn’t, hopefully trip insurance will kick in with no hassles..

I'm Canadian travel to dive like outofofficebrb and if only Canada is opened up, then I will try to go back to cold water diving. That is how I started out. I've heard, read and seen photo/video of our West coast diving. Always regretted not getting out there before I gave up diving cold water. I truly hope that I don't have to make the choice as it has long been my plan to live overseas for 1/2 the year, for more reasons than just the diving.

My dives will be local, very local, for the time being. I’m limited to in state travel only due to work.
We have a couple warm water bodies of water we can use until the lakes warm up a bit. I know some divers have traveled to Nevada to dive Lake Mead or to SoCal.

Stores have all but suspended any planned group outings. Some shops have suspended operations, some are retail only, some by appointment, some are staying open as normal.

I’m not sure when the next warm water trip will be. I’m was scheduled to be on Roatan this morning but we know how that panned out. We’ve moved the date back to May 2021 but I’m being optimistic.
If I could travel within the US I would head to Florida caves or SoCal.

Most dive ops/ charters that I know of closed/ shut down.

So my diving has been very local shore diving, but now I'm helping a friend so I'm dry.

I don’t care for the diving in California. There’s nothing in the Caribbean and definitely not local.
Youve been looking in the wrong places. I'd rather dive in California than anywhere.
White Point Pipe_ART1178.jpg

33723806396_ddfd623c07_o.jpg

33218730231_21240704f9_o.jpg

45202135054_0504c9e35a_o.jpg

RedondoBarge9-3-14.jpg

Sea lion6.jpg

Nice photos!

I’m not trying to be rude but I don’t understand why someone else’s experience/preference/opinion differing from someone else’s diving in the same regions means that they haven’t been looking in the right place. It means what makes one person happy doesn’t make another person happy.

Perhaps because you said there is nothing local. People actually travel to California to dive, and thousands who live here dive locally. There really is a lot to see, and the fact that you said there is nothing tells me that you just aren't looking.

Perhaps because you said there is nothing local. People actually travel to California to dive, and thousands who live here dive locally. There really is a lot to see, and the fact that you said there is nothing tells me that you just aren't looking.

That is a fair response. I was referencing nothing great in the Caribbean and nothing great local (in my opinion), hence semicolon. Perhaps it was poor execution on my part and if so, my apologies. “My idea of “great” is Raja Ampat or something in the coral triangle and even in the Red Sea; there’s nothing in the Caribbean and definitely not local.”

Edited to add: Also, thanks for clarifying what you were trying to convey.

Back
Top Bottom