QUESTION FOR THOSE WHO USE A BP/W WITHOUT AN STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hey all
so i am messin around with my bp/w. just got one last summer and was only able to dive it a few times. still not sure i prefer it over my bc yet. some good points about it and some not as good. but one thing i wanted to try this year is using it without the STA.
not knowing very much about these systems i went ahead last year and bought a new dive rite EXP voyageur wing (cuz it is basically the same as my dive rite voyageur bc - got a great deal) with a used s/s plate, tank bands, and STA. i already had some XDeep weight pockets that work perfect on here.
i tried using the STA last year even though the plate has the slots cut in it for the tank bands. i did this because i had read without the STA the tank would be too wobbly. however i found that although everything held together very tight and did not move at all, the extra distance between me and the heavy steel LP77 i was using felt odd in the water.
so to get the tank closer to my back i figured i would try diving it without the STA. so here is my question.....
for those of you that dive a bp/w without the STA, how do you bolt the wing to the plate ?
i ask this because after i reassembled the rig i realized that now the heads of the two bolts holding the wing to the plate will be sticking out and the tank will be riding on the bolt heads. where as before, with the STA, the bolt heads were never in contact with the tank.
depending where the tank ends up sitting, it "MAY" not hit the top bolt head, but it will hit the bottom one for sure. tanks are at the shop so i cannot mount it to check right now.
i may have an idea that might work better but not sure if i can get the hardware here where i live. so i am curious on how any of you dealt with this.
thx
rick

IMG_20200404_112329.jpg
IMG_20200404_112339.jpg

I happen to be sitting a few feet from my bp/w hanging in the closet. I attach the wing to the plate with two book screws, but really all they do is help things stay aligned while the cam straps are installed.

Never had an issue with the tank hitting the book screws.

In cold water, I use an STA rather than this set up. I've never noticed a difference in tank stability.

I dive a similar setup, dive rite ss plate and voyager xt wing...no STA.

I have plastic book screws holding my wing on...as others have implied they are not necessary but I like how they keep me from needing to adjust my wing's position as I mount my rig on a tank. The plastic books screws have held up fine for the past 3 years and they won't corrode in together.

I have an STA in my garage but have never felt the need to use it. My daughters use BP/Ws as well and they have never used an STA either...all our setups have 2 cam straps installed on them. With 2 cam straps we have yet to experience a tanks wobbling whatsoever.

-Z

Although the tank straps will work to hold together once on tank I also use two book screws, it just seems to make it easier to assemble and keeps everything lined up. My tank does shift every once and a while depending how tight my
tank bands are. I just reach back and straighten which can be annoying. I use aqualung grip lock tank bands, anyone else have issues with them?

Reactions: Zef
you guys are awesome.thanks for all the great info. yes i had also considered not using any bolts as suggested but thought it was going a little stir crazy and not thinking straight. haha i guess you are right that perhaps the wing might shift a bit but would not really be able to move that much. i might try using just the top bolt if it doesn't hit the tank.
the "book screws" you all have mentioned i assume are what i affectionately call "sex bolts" ? haha i love the idea of using the plastic ones but not sure if i can get those here. but i am gonna try once things open up again.
thx again everyone.

These are the ones I use (or did last time I dived single tank).
DGX Assembly Screws, Plastic, Set of TWO | Dive Gear Express®
I'm sure they can be posted if you can't get them locally at the moment. Like you I didn't realize some people call them book screws.
Metal sex bolts work too, but the additional strength is unnecessary and it introduces a small risk with dissimilar metals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom