US divers - maybe more local diving due to the CV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Economics is going to be a driving force for diving habits for sure. I also wonder how willing people will be to climb into flying aluminum petri dishes when this blows over.

I'd love to dive CA and the US west coast before I even dive Indonesia for sure. I think that it is "snobbish" to poo poo diving in location such as CA and Caribbean as you have done. There is so much variety, challenge, beauty and mystique diving the west coast to say the least.

I'd love to dive CA and the US west coast before I even dive Indonesia for sure. I think that it is "snobbish" to poo poo diving in location such as CA and Caribbean as you have done. There is so much variety, challenge, beauty and mystique diving the west coast to say the least.

Again....what makes one person happy doesn’t make someone else happy. I’m simply stating my perception and opinion. I’ve also dived the Caribbean and I haven’t been happy with it, especially given the financial investment needed to dive it compared with other places I’ve dived and the “yield” I get. Think of it as ROI or opportunity cost for me. I have spoken to people who have poo poo-ed some places I really liked. It’s fine to disagree. I’m not poopooing someone’s continued love for it if that’s what makes you happy or someone’s idea of a lifelong dream to dive my local water some day.

Someone asked a question and I answered it honestly. I don’t like it for myself so I choose not to dive it and have explained why. I have examples of what I find worth my time and “trouble”. Some people love wrecks and will travel a long way to dive them, even in cold water and in visibly challenging conditions. Other people find them extremely boring, hate cold water and poor viz and would never dream of doing it even if it’s in their own backyard.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If it’s “snobby”, so be it. I like what I like and you like what you like. I’m not trying to change your mind and you’re not going to change mine. We can each dive the places that makes each of us feel happy. I’m not trying to tell anyone their feelings or opinions of an experience are wrong. You can’t help what you feel and neither can I. I’m just sharing my feelings and opinions on my own dive experiences.

I see no snobbery, I see a preference. The only thing being poo poo-ed is someone else's preference.

As far as I can tell (I'd have to read the thread again) @outofofficebrb is the only one who really answered my question!

EDIT: OK, there were a few others, but that's about it.
I thought I did- but maybe not? Post #28, in my case. I am not a vacation only diver- but in the spirit of your question, I tried to weigh in.
@outofofficebrb definitely did! She was on point, as usual. Gotta say though, that if the powers that be declared that there is no international travel allowed for some undetermined amount of time, but domestic travel was allowed, I would encourage @outofofficebrb to at least consider SE Florida. The diving between Delray Beach and Jupiter along the gulf stream is pretty amazing, in my opinion. Water temps in the summer and early fall are well into the 80's and I find the diving much better than the Caribbean.

I guess it comes down to: do you want to dive at all costs or if you can't get to warm water, you just won't dive?
I answered the question. I am still diving locally.

Around one foot viz, yesterday, maybe 2' today. Didn't splash either day. Oh well, at least we got outta the house.

Back
Top Bottom