Why use a double hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The solution to this is a crotch strap adjusted correctly. The reg needs to be between your shoulder blades regardless of the divers position a properly adjusted crotch strap will keep the tank in place.

The backpack that I was using didn't have a crotch strap, but I didn't have any issues adjusting where it mounted on the tank to keep the the reg between the shoulder blades. just one unit breathed noticeably different when I rotated to my side.

We did have a tank strap unit that had a crotch strap. They guy using it really liked it.

The solution to this is a crotch strap adjusted correctly. The reg needs to be between your shoulder blades regardless of the divers position a properly adjusted crotch strap will keep the tank in place.

As an example, here is a pic of a diver I took descending over the famous Sea Hunt Wall at Silver Springs, Florida. Without a crotch strap properly adjusted the reg would be hitting his head. Instead, it is held in proper place between his shoulder blades. My 2psi.

3xaGJW.jpg

I'm just curious as to what the advantages/disadvantages of double hose configurations.

I've never used one but I am aware that they exist and some like them.

Just a curiosity for some light discussion while on partial lockdown.

I have a DA Aquamaster that I have rebuilt with a new VDH Cyclone first stage, a banjo fitting for an HP hose and a LP adapter for the hookah port that connects to my BCD hose. I dive solo and use a pony instead of an octo. I use it with a standard back plate and wing.

I haven't noticed a difference in breathing effort while diving. That said, I don't spend my whole dive paying attention to my breathing effort. I mostly pay attention to sea life, shooting video, and monitoring my depth, time and air pressure. Never during a dive did it occur to me that it was getting really hard to breath.

Advantages
-With the exhaust bubbles behind me, it's quiet and I can hear the sounds of underwater life.
-All the moving parts are protected from water so freezing in cold water should never occur unless your air has moisture in it (which it shouldn't).
-It's easy for me do do my own servicing and parts are available and easy for me to get. (I like doing my own service on all my equipment)
-I like that I am using the same type of regulator that a lot of the first recreational scuba divers were using.
-It's a conversation starter when other divers see it (if you like showing off your stuff and talking to people).

Disadvantages
-You have to learn a few new skills and techniques to use it
-If not positioned correctly, you may notice more breathing effort
-You are probably not going to find a local service tech. You will either need to learn to service it yourself (not recommended unless you are really interested in doing that) or mail it to someone for service.
-If not serviced properly, you will notice increased breathing effort. I guess this also applies to all regulators, but if you are mailing it back for service it's more of a disadvantage.
-It's a conversation starter when other divers see it (if you don't want other people bothering you).

...here is a pic of a diver I took descending over the famous Sea Hunt Wall at Silver Springs, Florida.

View attachment 574739

Notice the diver using the two hand / two finger pinch to equalize rather than the one hand, finger and thumb pinch, due to the design of the mask. Can't say I've dived with that kind of mask, though.

Notice the diver using the two hand / two finger pinch to equalize rather than the one hand, finger and thumb pinch, due to the design of the mask. Can't say I've dived with that kind of mask, though.

I had an old Scubapro mask that required that technique. The mask was very shallow in the pinch area. Front nasal area purge valve.
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0002.JPG

Here is the mask type that many of us use for the SHF shows. No double skirt, no nose pockets. To equalize one simply pushes up on the bottom of the mask to seal off the nose.

esRs8x.jpg

Real divers just need to shallow to equalize.

How hard are double hoses to service? Do they require any special tools? Specifically looking at kraken...
Depends upon what you buy. The single stage U.S. Divers Company Mistral (the old one) has only 6 moving parts, and is a very good breathing regulator. Disadvantage: no HP or LP ports.

SeaRat

Due to simple physics a DH regulator will not breathe like a SH. It's remote location and the resulting differential between where the breath is generated and where it is consumed will result in substantial variation in breathing effort dependent on the diver's attitude in the water. The DH diver's real skill lies in ignoring this fact.
Now, whether the perceived benefits of double hose diving override the inconvenience of its use is a decision everyone who tries a DH makes.
To those who say that breathing DH is as effortless as breathing a single hose I would recommend they invest in a better SH reg.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom