QUESTION FOR THOSE WHO USE A BP/W WITHOUT AN STA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also use plastic screws to hod the wing to the plate, works a treat.

I use plastic screws on one B/W and metal on my old setup. No issues. I do like @rhwestfall idea on not using screws and bolts at all. I may give that a try since I seem to have a huge amount of time on my hands. As an aside, one of my dive buddies continues to use a steel STA because he likes the extra weight and how it trims him out. To each, their own I guess.
upload_2020-4-5_7-31-55.jpeg

A lot depends on which backplate you are using, some have deep channels and hold the tank further away from your back, add the STA and it’s another 3/4” or so further out, when I used a DSS backplate I preferred the STA which made tank changes much easier, the DSS has a flatter profile than some like the HOG. The voyager wing is not a great choice to leave loose because of the wide open middle “cross hair” design, the plastic sexbolts work well for this but I did find my tank shifting with no STA so I just used one,I did make one for just the bottom from a SS buckle which worked perfectly at tank stability by bending it so it held the tank a hair higher the the SS sexbolt head. Other wings have stabilizers built in and these work very well too.

I at times do use the plastic book screws. A single one at the top as it isn't in conflict due to the neck taper.

With a wing that has "roll control", there is likely clearance for them.

OP is challenged with a wing that "has some issues" in the panel design.

YMMV

My tanks have a little bit of scratches from the bolts, as I use metal ones, but they are inconsequential and purely cosmetic, which I don't care about. Technically, you don't even need bolts but not having them does make it more difficult to switch tanks between dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom