Why are jacket style BCD's the most common??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jacket style BCDs are probably the most common because they are what is nearly always used for initial teaching. I used a number of rental jackets (Mares, aqualung & Cressi) before buying my own. The hire bcds were ok but sometimes slipped or felt constraining or uncomfortable. Before buying my BCD I was asked "where do you expect your diving to be in 5 years time" and shown a BP + wing set up. I chose an aqualung axiom. Its very cmfortable, easy to get on and off, no cumberbund, minimal side bouyancy, I can spit my weights between belt and bcd and it has useful pockets and d rings and is light for flying, although a little bulky.
Perhaps it is time someone said "what do we actually want and is best for diving" and came up with something new.

Another way to look at it is that “new and improved” is a selling point. Products evolve as manufacturers make supposed improvements, hoping that it boosts demand. The backplate and horse collar BC evolved into the modern jacket. Stripping a product of features is not a good strategy for persuading consumers to buy yours rather than your competitor’s. There is a market for “minimalist” or basic products, but it will always remain a niche.
Ah, no, not exactly like this.

SeaRat

In or around 1982 Seaquest (I believe) made a really slick "jacket" style BC, it was really a wing that then wrapped around your waist. And dont forget US Divers over the shoulder "jacket" with like 5 straps that came together like a an old 5 point racing harness.

I chose the Axiom for the same reasons. Lots of lift and weight capacity for cold water diving, yet light enough for travel. Plus it's a hybrid with the bulk of the bladder on the back. I also split the weights between BC and weight belt when decked out head to toe in 7mm. :wink:

I was trained in a BCD, I usually wear a jacket or vest outdoors and it felt right. I am a decent diver but perfecting my diving is not something I care about. Neither is having the latest gear although I can afford whatever I want. I am much more interested in relaxing and seeing stuff and playing with critter ID and bad photography. I trained in split fins, went to a stiffer fin when I was a DM assisting in classes and then went back to the splits when my knees turned 70. So I now dive the same BCD and fins I trained. Better neoprene and computers since the old computer died. After 10 years had to replace the regs since a couple parts were bad and could not be replaced. So I am not into working on skills. I am not into equipment. I just enjoy being under water. Well, I have upgraded my camera 4 times but it is also an easy to use one.
I have a hunch I am not unusual. I have met many people who dive who just want to dive and do not care about equipment or perfecting skills. None are on SB.

I was trained in a BCD, I usually wear a jacket or vest outdoors and it felt right. I am a decent diver but perfecting my diving is not something I care about. Neither is having the latest gear although I can afford whatever I want. I am much more interested in relaxing and seeing stuff and playing with critter ID and bad photography. I trained in split fins, went to a stiffer fin when I was a DM assisting in classes and then went back to the splits when my knees turned 70. So I now dive the same BCD and fins I trained. Better neoprene and computers since the old computer died. After 10 years had to replace the regs since a couple parts were bad and could not be replaced. So I am not into working on skills. I am not into equipment. I just enjoy being under water. Well, I have upgraded my camera 4 times but it is also an easy to use one.
I have a hunch I am not unusual. I have met many people who dive who just want to dive and do not care about equipment or perfecting skills. None are on SB.
Hey, I think that was me that wrote all that.....
Well, except that I didn't train in splits but shortly after won some at a "Treasure Hunt". Continued to use them the 4 seasons I DMd and continue to use them today.

so, one of the big advantages of BP&W is the customization nature of it...as such, has anyone seen a wing that is in the stab jacket style....where it wraps around? I dont think I have...but I am willing to defer to you all's experiance.

so, one of the big advantages of BP&W is the customization nature of it...as such, has anyone seen a wing that is in the stab jacket style....where it wraps around? I dont think I have...but I am willing to defer to you all's experiance.

You may have to expand on what you are asking. There are plenty of hybrid BCDs that are back inflate and combine the ease of a jacket style fitting with a back inflate wing. Such as the zeagle ranger, scubapro seahawk 2 and cressi patrol pictured below. I would not say that this style of BCD offers the level of customization that you are asking about though.

scubapro-seahawk-2-testers-choice.jpg
zeagle-ranger-scuba-bcd.jpg
Cressi-Patrol-1-Big-2-Thumb.jpg

there are also a wide array of harnesses that can be fitted to a Backplate and wing. These are most often referred to as deluxe harnesses, some examples below. But among technical divers, especially cave divers the use of these kinds of harnesses are largely discouraged in favor of simple Hogarthian harnesses.

Scuba Dive Harnesses - Find harnesses and dive wings as well as lift bladders and more

beseaharness.jpg

transpac_xt_travel_package_with_20lbs_pockets.png

There is a LDS in Plano (Dallas burb) that uses BP/W's exclusively for new divers going through basic OW. (Scuba Adventures). The students do not have to buy them for the course either. The LDS provides them with a BP/W. It is a Big Blue H shop so that is what they teach with.
Brilliant way to entice a new diver to buy 1.) a BP/W and 2.) Halcyon products.

Disclaimer: I have a Halcyon BP/W and I love it!

Back
Top Bottom