AL Axiom vs. Zuma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CHSDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am a new diver planning to mostly warm water recreational diving. I am considering a purchase of either the Aqualung Zuma or the Axiom. I plan to do some traveling with my equipment so a travel BC sounded like it would make sense. However, the Axiom gets great reviews for comfort and features. I think there is about a 3 lb difference, but AL makes it hard to find that data.

in the context of a 50 lb pack (regulator, BCD, fins, etc.) should I focus on the Zuma or just go for the Axiom? Or another recommendation?

Thanks.

A backplate and wing is often recommended for travel. I’ve never dived one but I have a few friends that have them and they love it.

One significant thing to note is that some people (including on this board) have had issues with Aqua Lung weight pockets/systems. They fall out or come undone accidentally, especially as the BC gets older. The mechanism is not as secure as other integrated weight systems due to the design. I have also witnessed this on dives with other folks and also in a class setting.

I urge you to consider other BC companies as a result. The weight system is quite proprietary and held in by a mechanism at the other end of the pocket you can’t see so if you accidentally lose them, you can’t even put some weights in some random bag and keep them in there like you could with some other systems with Velcro or male/female clips. With that said, some folks don’t have issues with it, but I’ve seen it happen more times than I’d like and it would be super annoying on a trip.

A backplate and wing is often recommended for travel. I’ve never dived one but I have a few friends that have them and they love it.

One significant thing to note is that some people (including on this board) have had issues with Aqua Lung weight pockets/systems. They fall out or come undone accidentally, especially as the BC gets older. The mechanism is not as secure as other integrated weight systems due to the design. I have also witnessed this on dives with other folks and also in a class setting.

I urge you to consider other BC companies as a result. The weight system is quite proprietary and held in by a mechanism at the other end of the pocket you can’t see so if you accidentally lose them, you can’t even put some weights in some random bag and keep them in there like you could with some other systems with Velcro or male/female clips. With that said, some folks don’t have issues with it, but I’ve seen it happen more times than I’d like and it would be super annoying on a trip.

Thanks for your thoughts. Is there another jacket or hybrid style that is fairly light that you would recommend?

Thanks for your thoughts. Is there another jacket or hybrid style that is fairly light that you would recommend?

If you want something for travel, maybe look at the Scubapro Litehawk, Seahawk, or Hydros Pro, depending on how much you want to spend. These weight systems have male/female clips and are very secure. The Litehawk is a true warm water travel BC and will be the lightest and most similar to the Zuma you are looking at. Though, if the Hydros Pro looks good to you, you may be better off putting that money towards a backplate and wing instead and have it be truly modular and at a much lower price. :) It would also offer you more flexibility if you ever needed more lift and can convert it or have it be suitable for cold water or technical diving, if you are not sure what time of diving you may participate in later on...That way it will be a bit more future-proof.

Hi Kevin,
I can't help you with the choice between the Axiom and the Zuma, I know too little about the latter. I'm having a similar issue, but then between the Axiom and the Hydros Pro. To me, both seem very good, have good reviews and seem to do the job well. One of my dive bussies uses the Axiom and is really pleased with it. For me, reasons to (possibly) choose the Axiom is price (much cheaper than the Hydros), comfort and the presence of pockets and a good way to store your octo. I actually prefer having the integrated weight not to be fixed like the Hydros. The Hydros fixing makes it foolproof, but also 2 additional actions in case of an emergency weight dump. Also, as I mainly dive in cold water, the thickness of the gloves may make this hard (not sure).

Reason to possibly choose the Hydros is that it should give more freedom and should not creep up under water. The Axiom seems to be a mostly back-inflated bcd, but the Hydros is of course a pure wing. I like that it packs well and that you can turn it into a travel bcd. But no pockets and the cost...

My advice: go to your LDS, try them out and if possible, arrange the possibility to make a test dive in a pool. It's what I will do. No bcd is universally 'the best', it should fit your needs and way of diving best. Good luck!

Telvar

My wife and I each have 200+ dives with the Zuma and have yet to see any problems whatsoever including the weights. If and when I need a replacement I will get another.

The weight pockets were recalled and replaced several years ago on all the Zumas. Perhaps people's problems with weights occurred prior to the recall and fix.

I dive an Axiom and really like it. Comfortable in the water. Never had any weight pocket issues even with lots of lead. Easy to pack for travel. Never tried the zuma. Some of my friends picked up the new AL Rogue and seemed pleased.

Back
Top Bottom