Quiz - Recreational Dive Planner - Tissue Compartment and Half-time

A ____ tissue compartment model was used to determine the no decompression limits for the Recreation

• a. 12/120 minutes

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • b. 14/60 minutes

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • c. 6/60 minutes

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • d. 14/120 minutes

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is on the basic OW exam? I can see the point in understanding the idea of a model and the idea of fast and slow compartments but I think for a beginner diver the actual number of compartments used in a particular model is irrelevant whether they use a wheel or a PDC or whatever. So you think it might be 10 and it is actually 8. How does that affect your diving? As you get into deco understanding the algorithm you are using makes sense but this is basic introduction and anything that is taught and not used will probably be forgotten

(I did my OW through SDI)
Agree. Follow the tables/DC, don't hold your breath and don't come up too fast. Most of the rest is just interesting knowledge.

I seem to remember the numbers 14/60. What is the correct answer?
I think the Navy tables were 6/120, no?

"Most of the rest" of what?
Most of the rest of -- who invented/discovered what, WHY we must do this or that or we die, the exact formulas used to determine that we need to do this or that safely, etc. Yes, "some" of the rest is important.

Also "some" of the maybe 80% of the information I acquired during my two music degrees that I probably didn't need to know to be a successful Band Teacher and clarinetist, may in a rare situation have been important.

Knowing the answer to today's RDP quiz though interesting and good knowledge, is not important. Following the tables or DC is.
I'm just agreeing with Steve that it's an odd question for an OW exam.

Attachments

• RDP for Multi-Level Dives_AAUS1991_3.pdf
    5 MB · Views: 89
Thanks!

Most of the rest of -- who invented/discovered what, WHY we must do this or that or we die, the exact formulas used to determine that we need to do this or that safely, etc. Yes, "some" of the rest is important.

Also "some" of the maybe 80% of the information I acquired during my two music degrees that I probably didn't need to know to be a successful Band Teacher and clarinetist, may in a rare situation have been important.
Wouldn't it be nice if a teacher could predict the exact future for each student, so the exact things that a student "needed" would be the only things that were taught?

Wouldn't it be nice if a teacher could predict the exact future for each student, so the exact things that a student "needed" would be the only things that were taught?

From my experience as a parent of a special needs child (formal IEP), teachers think they can :shakehead:, and believe they have:banghead:...

Well, despite that, she graduated high school with honors, and her first semester in college was on the Dean's list....:thumb:

Absolutely. But someone taking trumpet in 7th grade band need not know how to write species counterpoint at that time in case he/she becomes a world famous composer. Heck, I was a hot shot clarinet player in Jr. High and didn't know for sure who Duke Ellington was, even though our band director was a distant cousin of his.

There's plenty of important necessary stuff in today's short OW course without adding stuff that can be learned later should someone pursue it. Rather than knowing the number of theoretical compartments of the RDP I would like to see knowing the rescue procedure for a panicked diver at the surface included. I do believe someone told me they do that at NAUI.

I think the Navy tables were 6/120, no?

I happen to have the PADI DM book in front of me. It doesn't actually fully answer that question (or spell out the answer to the question here directly, although it can be inferred). The Navy tables are listed as being based on a "surface interval credit on the 120 minute compartment." It doesn't state anywhere how many compartments were used for the US Navy tables. Just that Dr. Rogers used 14 compartments in the RDP tables (and based them off the 60 minute compartment).

Back
Top Bottom