LP 72's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Father’s 1964 Dacor PST Viynl blue. Aircraft Stripper and a several weeks worth of work a few yrs back. Once I finished getting all the thick blue miserable penetrating horrid gunk off I had to mentally step away for about a year before I could even look at the tank again to ZRC it.

View attachment 578685 View attachment 578686
Wow.

61E5A311-CFE8-4AD7-B6A2-3491F481B351.jpeg

Same ZRC Galvalite that Luis and everyone else have been talking about. A good number of us Vintage divers have been refinishing our old steel tanks with it for some years now.

Further update on my tanks! After searching local listings on craigslist, I just so happened to run across another LP72 in seemingly mint condition. The tank turned out to be a Norris with an inspection date of May 1972, three months younger than one I bought last Tuesday! The most recent hydro inspection performed on this tank was 1992 (same year I was born) and received a plus rating. I am dropping off both of the Norris tanks at my LDS this week for an updated service, and to also band them together. Hopefully I will get them back in the next week or so and post an update.

As for my now lonely PST tank...I am thinking about keeping the original J-valve on it. The paint does look pretty beat up so it may become my test tank for stripping and reapplying ZRC Galvalite. Unless someone locally wants to buy it.

I really prefer 72s as single tanks rather than doubles. I had two PST 72s doubled for several years, then one day I tried AL80 doubles and liked them quite a bit more. It's weird because I like 72 single tanks much more than AL80 singles. I just never felt like the 72s trimmed out well as doubles, but they are effortless as single tanks.

Supposedly 72s are highly thought of for sidemount as well.

I really prefer 72s as single tanks rather than doubles. I had two PST 72s doubled for several years, then one day I tried AL80 doubles and liked them quite a bit more. It's weird because I like 72 single tanks much more than AL80 singles. I just never felt like the 72s trimmed out well as doubles, but they are effortless as single tanks.

Supposedly 72s are highly thought of for sidemount as well.
From what I have researched, it seems some divers have had trouble finding good trim with these tanks doubled. It sounded like they were diving in wetsuits. Either way it will be just another fun thing for me to play with and keep my interest in the sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom